HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopFromNYC View Post

Is the circled angled structure permanent? Previous closeup photos showed this to be a stepped platform like the one in Duffy Square (in Times Square). Those photos showed construction workers posing on it. Looks now like it could be permanent and includes access from the floor above the actual deck. Anyone in the know? If it is permanent, it will be a unique feature on an already unique deck!
Yes, those are stairs. The interior of the observation deck is two stories, and those stairs get you from the upper story down to the exterior lower level.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:26 AM
New Yorker for life

More likely temporary. Anything permanent there would block views of the skyline to the north, mission the point of the ledge itself, not to mention nothing guarding people from jumping off the top.

Godzilla vs. Kong.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoiJ8eGB...by=colormenavy

https://www.instagram.com/p/BohU8mWn...ickphotography

https://www.instagram.com/p/BohyF8wg...aken-by=sjm455

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bohm1quA...n-by=khushal35

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:43 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

This building is like a spaceship from the future.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:44 AM
DENNAB

Nice photos!

What's the core rising in the foreground (left) in the first picture BTW?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 12:36 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 4:14 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
This building is like a spaceship from the future.
I was thinking the same thing. When I would imagine future buildings in NY or Chicago as a kid, this is the kind of building I would imagine. It's so crazy to see something like this realized.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 9:55 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 9, 2018 at 11:13 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 10:51 PM

The stairs are definitely not temporary. This picture posted previously shows that they're able to be occupied and they're designed with the proper landing and the bottom step is raised above the structure to accommodate the finish material. It's definitely staying.

Temporary construction access stairs aren't designed like this.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 6:32 PM
Ω

It reminds me of that stair/bench thing in Times Square. This place is going to stress me out; I'm so scared of heights.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmicha View Post
The stairs are definitely not temporary. This picture posted previously shows that they're able to be occupied and they're designed with the proper landing and the bottom step is raised above the structure to accommodate the finish material. It's definitely staying.

Temporary construction access stairs aren't designed like this.
There's a host of zoning issues that go with something like that, and I don't see the City having approved it. Why it's there is one matter, whether it will stay is another.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There's a host of zoning issues that go with something like that, and I don't see the City having approved it. Why it's there is one matter, whether it will stay is another.
To echo jmicha for all of his cited reasons, there's no way that's a temporary staircase. You're mistaken on this one.

It'l actually be really dramatic because it'l allow you to sit on the steps above the height of the glass panes below and have an uninterrupted view outwards.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:43 PM

People don't build fully designed stairs like this if they're going to disappear. There are 684 filings for this building, many of which are PAAs. Short of searching through every single one I'm not entirely sure how you could know whether or not a change to this was in one of those subsequent filings.

There are indeed a host of regulatory approvals this would have to go through after the fact, but there's no reason to believe this would be a challenging item to get approved in a PAA.

I know someone at KPF working on this. Not sure if this falls within their realm, but I can reach out to get clarification.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:06 PM

Maybe those stairs are being assembled outside and will be winched into the interior of the building when they are ready for them?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
Maybe those stairs are being assembled outside and will be winched into the interior of the building when they are ready for them?
It's somewhat hard to see from that angle posted, but there's a column directly next to it. It's larger than the space between columns.

In the initial schematic shown, there was always a small platform on the second level which was ambiguous. It may have been shown that way because they intended some sort of stair and it just wasn't fully thought through or hadn't yet gone through regulatory approvals. It makes sense to have a stair in this location from an internal/external circulation standpoint.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 3:23 AM

Why would they build a staircase that big with such a design only for it to be temporary? I'm starting to think this thing is permanent. A part of me would love to see this permanent.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
To echo jmicha for all of his cited reasons, there's no way that's a temporary staircase. You're mistaken on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr101 View Post
Why would they build a staircase that big with such a design only for it to be temporary? I'm starting to think this thing is permanent. A part of me would love to see this permanent.

Of course it's possible I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Don't ask me why they would put something there temporarily, ask yourself why it would be there permanently, taking up limited space on the deck. I still say the City wouldn't approve this, but if they already have, the documents are out there somewhere. I don't care about it enough one way or the other to look for it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo15_r0A...by=igor.taskov

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo2P0b1A...-by=telesizion

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo1x5eYB...by=lorddonavon

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 12:52 PM

It would be there for the views.

I'm an architect, there's nothing challenging about getting a staircase approved. There's nothing unique or challenging about it. Being so high up doesn't change anything, it's still just a staircase.

Developers don't spend money building things they don't intend to keep unless they're necessary for construction. And a stair which can be sat upon and occupied is not necessary for construction.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 10:49 PM
That's no excuse!

Tourist updates! Who doesn't like tourist updates? (Rhetorical.)

And, might I add, what a fuckin' city.

30 Hudson Yards (constr 2018.10.07)a small
by Spi11, on Flickr
^ From the Hudson (whoops, wrong building) - 2018.10.07

30 Hudson Yards (constr 2018.10.07)b small
by Spi11, on Flickr

30 Hudson Yards (constr 2018.10.09)a small
by Spi11, on Flickr
^ From 30 Rock - 2018.10.09

30 Hudson Yards (constr 2018.10.10)a small
by Spi11, on Flickr
^ From ESB - 2018.10.10

30 Hudson Yards (constr 2018.10.10)b small
by Spi11, on Flickr
^ From One WTC - 2018.10.10

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 11:07 PM
That's no excuse!

30 Hudson Yards (constr 2018.10.07)b small
by Spi11, on Flickr

^ There you go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive