HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Should Canada join the European Union?
Yes 20 26.67%
No 55 73.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Hell no! We might as well tie an anchor around our necks.
Very true, although it would probably be a nice-looking anchor...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Personally I'd rather Canada join the USA than the EU. Makes more sense, and it would be a lot more useful to me. Where do I sign?
True that would be much easier since we're already a US dependency / territory.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:32 PM

Last I checked, we aren't in Europe. Also, I don't want a bunch of un-elected bureaucrats making decisions for me!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:35 PM
Look at me!

They deleted my thread so I'll ask in here instead:

Should Canada join the Union of South American States as well? How about we integrate ourselves with the south-east asian nations? What a silly question.

Also, is it me or are we not talking about cities and skyscrapers on ssp anymore?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:35 PM

Given how Alberta's already complaining at the moment, imagine what it'll be when they'll be making hefty equalization payments to places like Greece and Romania!!!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:39 PM

Why on earth would we want to? Why on earth would they let us?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:40 PM
I am the law!

I would think we'd be a net receiver. Maybe we'd actually get the DRL built in Toronto. It still wouldn't be worth it having our country overrun with Germans.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 11:02 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good for China in getting out of the absolute gutter of human development. But I don't think many Canadians would care to see this country get into bed with what is effectively transitioning from a dictatorship of the CPC to a dictatorship of one man in any way that goes much beyond trade issues.
Yeah no kidding. Shall we just bow down and offer our country to be exploited by supreme leader Xi?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 11:09 PM
BANNED

canada is already being exploited by a supreme leader - capitalism.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 11:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good for China in getting out of the absolute gutter of human development. But I don't think many Canadians would care to see this country get into bed with what is effectively transitioning from a dictatorship of the CPC to a dictatorship of one man in any way that goes much beyond trade issues.
Quote:
What’s more, America’s belief in the redemptive value of term limits merits further examination. In some political jurisdictions, it has helped bring in new blood; but, in others, it has replaced seasoned leaders with fresh nonsensical amateurs, to the detriment of good governance.

Indeed, in the 20th century, most assessments of presidential performance would place Franklin D. Roosevelt, our 32nd president, at the top of the list. He was elected not just to three terms but four. In 1951, the 22nd amendment to the US Constitution was ratified, which seemed like a good idea at the time; and perhaps even more so now. But there were moments in-between when America had its doubts about the constitutional dogmatism of having to force someone out of office who was doing the job well.
http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-...d-china-though

you also don't seem to have a good grasp of the way China's government is structured. the presidential office and president is mostly ceremonial, the office has very little power. the general secretary of the CPC and Central Military Commission Chair hold as much power, it not more. plus, the change has to be approved by the people's congress. it will be decided there. is britain with it's unelected head of state and term-limit free PM also a dictatorship?

Last edited by headhorse; Mar 5, 2018 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 11:21 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
canada is already being exploited by a supreme leader - capitalism.
Along with the majority of the rest of the world. Should we just throw everything in our Democracy away to go join a dictatorship that imprisons and kills dissenters?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 11:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Along with the majority of the rest of the world. Should we just throw everything in our Democracy away to go join a dictatorship that imprisons and kills dissenters?
if they're against things like full employment, free healthcare, guaranteed access to food, shelter, water, and willing to fight against them - maybe we should imprison them?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 11:30 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
if they're against things like full employment, free healthcare, guaranteed access to food, shelter, water, and willing to fight against them - maybe we should imprison them?
What??

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 11:32 PM
BANNED

if people advocate for policies that deprive people of their basic human rights, they should not be allowed to do that

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:34 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Personally I'd rather Canada join the USA than the EU. Makes more sense, and it would be a lot more useful to me. Where do I sign?
That's almost worse. The US economy is better than the EU's but beyond that the US is a big mess. Why on earth would we want to hitch our ride to a country that's being torn apart at the seams by violence, inequality, racism, and a democracy that doesn't work?

We'd have fewer problems joining Haiti.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:42 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm not enamored with the idea, but comfortable with it. I'd much prefer independence than to simply shuffle from a federation to a union.

That said, the European Union has infinitely better policies and supports for economies and cultures like those of Newfoundland and Labrador - especially fisheries management and heritage preservation. Sure there's the whole Imperial Capital of far-off Brussels to worry about but all of those disadvantages are probably worse for us in Canada than they would be in the European Union, where at least the Union itself tends to share similar political leanings and objectives as us (especially post-secondary education). There are Harpers in Europe as well, but certainly not in control of the European Union government.

The part that concerns me is monetary policy. We're definitely comparable to the poorer developed countries - Portugal, Spain, Italy, etc. and ahead of the poorer Eastern and Southern ones such as Czech Republic and Greece. Monetary policies designed with Germany and France in mind won't serve us well. That said, Canada's monetary policy is soon going to suffocate our economy as interest rates rise and other steps are taken in response to the boom in Central Canada. It's quite literally the worst possible government-controlled thing that could happen here right now - so maybe we're fucked either way in that regard.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 1:13 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Very true, although it would probably be a nice-looking anchor...
Well anchors away then. If we're going to go down, lets do it in style.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Well anchors away then. If we're going to go down, lets do it in style.
La bella figura, sempre!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Last I checked, we aren't in Europe. Also, I don't want a bunch of un-elected bureaucrats making decisions for me!
No kidding! The EU is falling apart and is corrupt as hell. We have that here already. We need to stick with the U.S. Trump is not going to be in power forever and hopefully Justin will be gone before him.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 7:28 AM

I wonder which way people will move if there was freedom of movement. Would Canada receive net immigrants under a freedom of movement arrangement with the EU?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada