HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
still hasn't sunk in yet, but it looks like i'll be moving to dallas in two weeks! working in arlington, off i20. anyone have suggestions for a place to move that isn't too expensive (uptown?) but also isn't totally banal suburban? should i consider ft worth? probably the wrong place to even bother asking this, but the texas forum looked pretty sleepy.
Post a thread here.

There are literally thousands of helpful forum members who have relocation knowledge.

In my opinion, you should look at both Fort Worth and Las Colinas, the latter being a longer commute.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit View Post
Dallas area ranked No. 3 for new jobs among all U.S. metros in July

The Dallas-Plano-Irving area generated new jobs at nearly four times the rate of the Fort Worth-Arlington area in July.
Above is the downtown Dallas skyline.

Sheryl Jean, Published September 1, 2015, Dallas Morning News

For the third straight month, the Dallas-Fort Worth area ranked No. 3 among all U.S. metropolitan areas for the most new jobs as of July.

The D-FW area added 121,700 seasonally unadjusted jobs through the last 12 months ended July 31, according to data released today by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

More than three-quarters of those jobs, or 94,300, were added in the East metro — in the Dallas-Plano-Irving area.

The New York area added the most jobs (164,400) followed by the Los Angeles area (157,500). The top three metro areas have remained the same for the last three months.

Also today, I wrote that the Dallas area ranked as the No. 1 U.S. metro area for small business jobs for the 11th straight month in August, according to the latest Paychex/IHS Small Business Jobs Index.

Article: http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...-in-july.html/
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here are the top 10 MSA job growth markets for year-over-year July 2014 to July 2015 (from just released Bureau of Labor Statistics data):

Change from
July 2014 to July 2015,
in thousands

164.4 NYC
157.5 LA
121.7 DFW
85.0 ATL
73.8 WAS DC
70.7 SEA
70.2 SFO
69.9 MIA
66.4 CHI
64.6 HOU

Dallas by itself, even without Ft. Worth/Arlington, would still be number three in the nation with its metro job growth of 94,300.

Very impressive that Dallas and its metro would still rank so high among the nation's MSA's!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 3:22 AM

Million-square-foot data center in the works for Telecom Corridor
Steve Brown
September 3, 2015

Quote:
Two high-tech firms are breaking ground in the Telecom Corridor on a 1 million-square-foot data center.
Quote:
“They are going to build a very large campus like they have done in Northern California and Northern Virginia,” he said.
Quote:
“We are thrilled to be entering the Dallas data center market, one of the top markets in the United States,” George Macricostas, RagingWire CEO, said in a prepared statement. “Together we will expand and enhance the data center sector in the region.”
Full Article

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 6:34 AM
REAL Kiwi!

^wow, thats ugly. Looks like legos

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 6:36 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
still hasn't sunk in yet, but it looks like i'll be moving to dallas in two weeks! working in arlington, off i20. anyone have suggestions for a place to move that isn't too expensive (uptown?) but also isn't totally banal suburban? should i consider ft worth? probably the wrong place to even bother asking this, but the texas forum looked pretty sleepy.
Ft Worth for sure. I'd go to the west 7th street/uptown area. Its closer to where you will be working and downtown is right there and very lively. Not sure your budget, but it'll be a premium over suburban apartment buildings. I wouldnt live in Arlington though. Las Colinas is nice, but relatively dead and far. Dallas is to far and you'd hate the commute.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 3:21 PM

Alpha Tower:

- 27 floors
- 238 units
- SW corner of Alpha and Noel

Source

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
^wow, thats ugly. Looks like legos
It will fit in with its immediate surroundings! haha

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 10:02 PM
Metal Up Your !

I'm a datacenter tech and this catches my eye ;D

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 5:16 AM

Here is the revised Alamo Manhattan design for Bishop Arts

Quote:
Alamo Manhattan came back with its new proposal Thursday night. And neighbors, about 100 in the crowd, reacted with enthusiasm for it.
Quote:
These are the points Matt Segrest of Alamo Manhattan says the redesign addresses:
  • Break up the building mass
  • feature more architectural details
  • connect to existing architecture in Bishop Arts
  • avoid looming over Bishop Arts
  • focus on the pedestrian experience.
Quote:
Designers drew inspiration from architecture and storefronts in the Bishop Arts District and buildings in downtown Portland, Seattle and Philadelphia. The Seventh Street complex would be broken into three facades with pass-through walkways between them. These “paseos” could include small storefronts.
Full Article

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 6:05 PM
Hopeful Graduate

The alpha tower is looking nice, I wonder how the final product will wind up looking based on it's quality of glass.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic'EmBears View Post
Post a thread here.

There are literally thousands of helpful forum members who have relocation knowledge.

In my opinion, you should look at both Fort Worth and Las Colinas, the latter being a longer commute.
Depends on what you are looking for. If you like very family friendly / small quaint cute downtown / cowboy feel / chain restaurants then Ft. Worth is your best bet. West 7th area is good if you are working downtown Ft. Worth. Its located on the West side of downtown Ft. Worth when you will be trying to go East in the am during rush hour with all the interchanges.

Dallas is much more cosmopolitan / big city. Uptown has some of the highest rents in the region and collection of art galleries / bike trails / local culinary legends / prime shopping... etc. Good thing is this time of year you can find a good deal and its one of the most vibrant areas in the metro. There is a large number of new product coming on line or just opened for apartments. You can bypass the highway interchanges once you learn the local roads.

Bishop Arts / Oak Cliff is on the West side of downtown Dallas allowing you to by pass all the interchanges. This area is more eclectic / evolving and some of the best reasonably priced restaurants in the city with a good arts scene. Its a favorite of people locally and its connected to DTD by a new street car line that will also meet up with DART. Both uptown and Bishop Arts have easy access to both airports including highway and mass transit.

Most of the rental properties in Las Colinas put you on the north side of the airport and is further from I-20 in Arlington than DTFW and DTD. There is also not a good direct route from the Las Colinas area to I-20. Its typically where most of the traffic jambs occur during rush hour with people trying to get around the airport. I would not suggest this area unless you will be doing a lot of traveling.

I would not get caught up on Arlington being slightly closer to Ft. Worth than Dallas. You can get to both areas easily. I-20 does not get as much rush hour traffic plus you can skip up to I-30 if needed on bad traffic days.

Last edited by TTU Arch; Sep 5, 2015 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2015, 2:51 AM

thanks for the advice. i needed to make a quick decision, and it seemed that the office was closer to the ft worth side, so i pulled the trigger on a place in west 7th street lofts. seemed like a decent deal and was within walking distance of the gym i'm currently a member of so i now have absolutely no excuses for not going.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 4:52 PM

Kelley USA from dallasmetropolis found this:
Quote:
We put Design District Tower into the market. We will be providing more information on this in the weeks to come, but it’s an exciting new project steps away from the new Virgin Hotel.

https://www.facebook.com/altschulerc...type=1&theater

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 5:02 PM
high five!

Fencing for 2nd SkyHouse has gone up around the property (via SkyHouse webcam)

The Ascent (via SkyHouse webcam)

1920 McKinney Ave (webcam)

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 5:42 PM

Link to article

Award-winning architect picked for downtown Dallas cultural center
Steve Brown

Architect Pelli Clarke Pelli has been selected to design the South Asian museum and cultural center planned at Woodall Rodgers and Field Street.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 7:40 PM

^^^^^^^
The South Asian Museum announcement is for a 39 story mixed use tower to be designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli architects.

First 5 floors will be the South Asian Museum, the next 10 floors will be office, and the top 24 floors will be residential.

I'm cutting and pasting from a post made by Sic'EmBears in another thread that provides details for this exciting announcement for Downtown Dallas:

This project [...] is its chance for Dallas to announce its presence as an international city on the world stage, with a truly mixed-use building.

A building that will have five floors of the foundation of the cultural teaching spaces and galleries.

Above which are ten floors of office building in which an incubator by a tech company may start up.

And above that, 24 floors of residential.

We think these mixed-use vibrant buildings can be transformative in this city.

It gives the city a work, live, play environment all in a single structure.

Quote:
We feel that the building can be iconic, that it should be in fact a gateway announcing arrival into Dallas on Woodall Rogers.

We feel that the tower should take a form and shape that makes it a symbol of the vision and goals of this city as well as its aspirations.

Quote:
It creates a sustainable structure. One in which the economics of the housing and office will endow the museum so that it can always be open for eternity.

Dallas City Council announcement: http://dallastx.swagit.com/play/09092015-655

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^^
The South Asian Museum announcement is for a 39 story mixed use tower to be designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli architects.

First 5 floors will be the South Asian Museum, the next 10 floors will be office, and the top 24 floors will be residential.

I'm cutting and pasting from a post made by Sic'EmBears in another thread that provides details for this exciting announcement for Downtown Dallas:

This project [...] is its chance for Dallas to announce its presence as an international city on the world stage, with a truly mixed-use building.

A building that will have five floors of the foundation of the cultural teaching spaces and galleries.

Above which are ten floors of office building in which an incubator by a tech company may start up.

Quote:
We feel that the building can be iconic, that it should be in fact a gateway announcing arrival into Dallas on Woodall Rogers.

We feel that the tower should take a form and shape that makes it a symbol of the vision and goals of this city as well as its aspirations.

Quote:
It creates a sustainable structure. One in which the economics of the housing and office will endow the museum so that it can always be open for eternity.

Yep, this is very exciting, especially considering the potential of Perot's "signature" tower going up across the street.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^^

Quote:

Quote:

I would appreciate it if you would link your quote to the source.

Reason being, it is only fair to the writer, which in this case was me.

Original excerpt

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 9:43 PM
high five!

SkyHouse II unofficially breaking ground today. Also, the Ascent construction across the street

One Harwood (new Rolex Building). Taken by strulock at Dallas Metropolis

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 9:43 PM

Dallas is smoking!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations