HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Well, this sucks. From Socketsite:

Quote:
“Lofty city plans to construct an ultra-green windmill-studded, solar-panel-embedded, water-recycling office building near City Hall have been thwarted by growing costs.

Work on the 12-story San Francisco Public Utilities building was slated to begin this year but SFPUC General Manager Ed Harrington announced Tuesday the project will be placed “on hold” because of rising costs [and lower than expected efficiencies].”

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 4:25 PM

Yeah.. was looking forward to seeing that one. It would have (will?) really enhanced the area.

Last edited by c1tyguy; Jul 23, 2008 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 9:11 PM
North Beach

Mercy Housing update. The lack of strained construction is evident:

Pouring concrete on the annex (or whatever this part of the project is)

One of the City's new pirate buildings exposed:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Anyone know what is going in on Army near Valencia or Mission (I didn't note exactly where)? I'm thinking it will be housing, but curious if anyone has info on that project.
Are you talking about 3400 Cesar Chavez? That's the infamous ex-paint store that is going to be 60 units above a Walgreens. MAC fought it for years and it was finally completely approved several months ago. Socketsite has some more on it here:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ion_on_th.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 9:54 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Oh, that's where that is. For some reason I pictured it further north up Mission. Well, the site is cleared and there is construction equipment all over, so it's actually moving forward.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 10:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Well, this sucks.
I am now convinced that ugly, derelict old pink state building will be around longer than I am.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
Pouring concrete on the annex (or whatever this part of the project is)

We determined a few pages back that this part of the project will be for seniors and is dubbed 66 9th St.. It will look like this:

Source: http://kodamadiseno.com/

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:39 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Anyone know what is going in on Army near Valencia or Mission (I didn't note exactly where)? I'm thinking it will be housing, but curious if anyone has info on that project.
Army? Come on Peanut--the change to Cesar Chavez was years ago!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:49 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I am now convinced that ugly, derelict old pink state building will be around longer than I am.
Since they already started clearing the interior, can't they just demolish it? I hesitate to say it, but even a surface parking lot would be better than that thing.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:23 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Army? Come on Peanut--the change to Cesar Chavez was years ago!
That is pretty bad! Old habits die hard, I guess. I've just never been able to adjust to the new name.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Since they already started clearing the interior, can't they just demolish it? I hesitate to say it, but even a surface parking lot would be better than that thing.
Might make sense to wait before tearing it down. A few years back, the Chronicle http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1/BA199358.DTL featured a proposal by Heller Manus to remodel it:

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 6:40 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by nequidnimis View Post
Might make sense to wait before tearing it down. A few years back, the Chronicle http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1/BA199358.DTL featured a proposal by Heller Manus to remodel it:
Hmmm...looks like something from the 50's, but then it is Heller Manus after all.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 8:05 AM
Green Berniecrat

I too am somewhat dissapointed with the turn of events regarding SFPU. I've only seen the pink building a few times, but I can see why people want it gone, or at least blocked. It could be worse I suppose, at least its only on hold and not cancelled.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 8:08 PM
Green Berniecrat

Looks like we should all keep our eyes open on our surroundings:

Okla. crane fall kills man watching construction

By SEAN MURPHY, Associated Press Writer

Thursday, July 24, 2008

(07-24) 12:45 PDT Oklahoma City (AP) --

Church members watching the steeple being raised on their new building looked on in horror Thursday as a crane holding the structure toppled, crushing a car and killing an 80-year-old man who had been watching from inside the vehicle, firefighters said.

The man's 78-year-old wife, who was also in the car, was transported to a hospital in good condition, ambulance officials said.

A group of people had gathered in southwest Oklahoma City to watch the installation of the steeple when the crane collapsed in the parking lot, said Deputy Fire Chief Cecil Clay.

Grace Assembly of God Pastor Joe Hancock said the couple were longtime church members.

"Just great people," he said. "It's just a huge loss."

Hancock said he was taking photos from the back of the church when he realized something had gone wrong. The crane started to tip when the steeple was about 10 feet off the ground, he said.

Caleb Fellenstein, the church's youth minister, said the crane started to lower the steeple just before the accident.

"And then it just quickened," he said. "The whole boom and the crane just flipped over. It was like a movie. It was like something unreal.

"I was just standing there in disbelief and panic."

The boom of the portable crane came to rest on the car, the smashed white steeple still attached.

The operator of the crane was not injured.

The woman was in the back seat of the car and the man was in the front passenger seat, said Lara O'Leary, spokeswoman for the Emergency Medical Services Authority, which operates emergency transport for the area. The couple's names weren't immediately released.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the state Labor Department and the owner of the crane, Barnhart Crane and Rigging Co., were to investigate.

Jeff Latture, Barnhart senior vice president, said it had been years since the company had an accident.

"We do about 10,000 jobs a year without incident," he said. "We are very upset about this and certainly are concerned about families involved."

Latture said the cause of the accident will likely be a structural failure of the 90-ton crane, some kind of a problem with the ground it was sitting on, or operator error.

"It was at the beginning of a very simple lift, which is somewhat troubling to us and not far into the lift when the crane went over," he said.

Clay, the fire official, said he saw no obvious equipment failure or problems with the ground the crane was on. He said about 150 feet of the telescoping boom was deployed at the time of the accident.

There have been several deadly crane accidents around the country this year, including one in Houston last week that killed four workers and injured seven others. Crane-related deaths have also occurred in New York, Miami and Las Vegas.

An Associated Press analysis in June found that cities and states have wildly varying rules governing construction cranes.

Cranes in Oklahoma fall under OSHA regulations but operate without any state oversight, state Labor Commissioner Lloyd Fields said. He said Oklahoma may join other states considering improved regulatory oversight of cranes. Oklahoma is among 35 states that do not require crane operators to be licensed.

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...7D57.DTL&tsp=1

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 3:15 PM
Only Mostly Dead

766 Harrison now has a name: Cubix Yerba Buena (although the URL is cubixsf.com). At least it's not another A-name.

Source: SocketSite.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 8:06 AM
BANNED

More on 700-706 Mission

Quote:
Millennium, JMA to buy garage as part of deal

The city's Jessie Square garage could soon have new owners.

Under the exclusive negotiating agreement being hashed out with the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency, the joint venture team of Millennium Partners and JMA Ventures would agree to acquire the 450-stall garage for $43 million -- the full value of the city's outstanding bond debt on the parking structure.

The deal would provide parking for residents of the 220-unit condo tower that Millennium and JMA are proposing to build at 700-706 Mission St. It would also serve the new Contemporary Jewish Museum and the Mexican Museum, which is slated to be part of the mixed-use JMA/Millennium project.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...wscolumn1.html

Quote:
Friday, July 25, 2008
Building deals giving museums new chance
San Francisco Business Times - by Sarah Duxbury

What a difference a building makes.

Two Bay Area cultural institutions in search of a home, the Mexican Museum and International Museum of Women, will make significant internal changes following last week's agreement between developers JMA Ventures and Millennium Partners and the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency on a plan that will allow the museums to land at a mixed-use project at 706 Mission St.

For the Mexican Museum, finalizing the agreement for a physical space is a first step to rebuilding the struggling institution, which has had little more than an art collection and skeleton board in recent years. Not least, it means the museum can hire its first paid employee in years.

Within 90 days, and likely sooner, the museum will name an executive director, a position that has been vacant since William Moreno left in October, 2006. Victor Marquez, president of the museum's board of directors, also hopes to complete the board, currently is at half capacity, by adding 10 new board members by the end of the year.

With a physical staff and paid employees, the museum can now return to fundraising, which proved the deal breaker in the Mexican Museum's near-decade-long quest to raise $8 million for a standalone museum on Jessie Street designed by Mexican architect Ricardo Legorreta.

Under terms agreed to last week, the developers will build the core and shell of what will be a net museum space of up to 40,000 square feet, most likely consisting of two galleries and education space and facing Jessie Street. JMA and Millennium will also seed the Mexican Museum with a $5 million endowment.

"It's a great accomplishment in the sense that we are financially secure," Marquez said.

Marquez hopes to raise at least an additional $10 million from private sources to have a $15 million endowment by the time the museum opens. A best-case scenario has the museum open in four years.

Marquez is confident the museum will be able to compile $5 million to $6 million for a build-out. Much of that funding is available from various government sources and should be in place within a year.

"Finally we can focus our energies as an institution on programming and do what we do best," Marquez said. "We have had a very challenging past. ... Once you have a building, then it's quite different (to raise money) than it is when you are trying to build a building."

The International Museum of Women, by contrast, has a $2 million annual operating budget and has been remarkably successful at fundraising and developing programming. But it, too, is coming up against the limits of being a "museum without walls," said Corrina Marshall, IMOW's interim executive director.

"For people who like to have a physical embodiment of their giving, their focus, their imagination, (a museum) will make a huge difference," Marshall said.

IMOW pulled out of a bid to open a 100,00-square-foot, $120 million museum on Pier 26 back in 2005 and has been looking for something ever since. Odds are that something will be 706 Mission St.

IMOW met with JMA and Millennium last week to begin drafting a memorandum of understanding for how the museum could fit into this project, though the museum won't commit to the site until its board approves it.

sduxbury@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4963
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:45 PM

Museum of Performance and Design Proposal

I don't think this has been covered yet, but the former San Francisco Performing Arts Library & Museum has been renamed the Museum of Performance & Design and is in the process of selecting an architect for a new location at the corner of 3rd and Folsom.

There are some big names in the running, including Zaha Hadid, Steven Holl and Diller Scofidio & Renfro. Architect Mark Dziewulski, who has his office based here in SF, was the only firm to release renderings, which I've attached below.

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=002&sc=850

Last edited by caramatt; Jul 28, 2008 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:51 PM

Wow. That's cool.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 6:26 PM

Thats neato!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 9:35 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Wow. I guess part of the negotiation TMG Partners had with the Performing Arts Museum included design control of 666 Folsom. Previously, we saw this:

That folded building above would look great in front of the new and improved 680 Folsom.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations