HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
Ha! Thanks for all the suggestions.

To clarify: my RENT budget is $3500-$4000/month. Monthly income good bit higher.

I’m needing a one bedroom, preferably with an office space too. Man, it is mega sticker shock for me. I don’t understand how anybody makes it there unless you’re good with 5 roomies and or live 2 hours away from the city.

My office is located off battery street near the financial district.
I'd suggest Upper Market. There's a few new buildings you could check out on Market St between Castro and Dolores. Easy access to transit, grocery stores, restaurants and bars. Those new places in SOMA or Mid Market may be nice but the neighborhood is still too sketchy IMO.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 8:47 PM

Apartments for rent

Quote:

To clarify: my RENT budget is $3500-$4000/month. Monthly income good bit higher.

I’m needing a one bedroom, preferably with an office space too. Man, it is mega sticker shock for me. I don’t understand how anybody makes it there unless you’re good with 5 roomies and or live 2 hours away from the city.

The Essex Fox Plaza might be a good choice.

1) THE crossroad for transit - MUNI (lines K, L, M, N, S underground, street car line on the surface), BART 2 blocks away, Sam Trans, Golden Gate Transit, 1 block from the Mission street 14 bus, 2 blocks 5 McAllister line, across the street from the 21 Hayes line. And Uber & Lyft circling the building like hungry sharks

2) Views from all apartments from the 14th floor to the 29th. The west side has calm views, the east size dynamic. Apartments can be hot with the sun in the morning (prefer the east view), west view sun can be hot lots of wind from the ocean. The one bed rooms facing south have sun ALL DAY. The higher the view the better they are. (views on the west side will change in the next year or so with the 46 story high rise coming soon at 30 Van Ness/Market Street.

3) Avoid being less than 3 apartments from the trash closet or next to the elevators

4) 2 - 4 blocks to the ballet, symphony, opera, jazz club, theater

5) be ready for sirens from police, ambulance, bomb squad. Windows are not double pane.

6) The building is under rent control. I just got my rent increase notice which is $35 (keep in mind I have been in the building for 50+ years).

Here is a link to the Essex Fox Plaza site with pictures & floor plans

https://www.essexapartmenthomes.com/...ns-and-pricing

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 11:41 PM

Quote:

One nice thing about L.ARCH's suggestion of Upper Market is that it's pretty much a straight subway shot to the FiDi. But various newer buildings in Hayes Valley, "the Hub" and along mid-Market have the same advantage (from Hayes Valley it's a short walk to the Van Ness BART/Muni subway station).

I will say one thing, though. I'm not sure why you are determined to get new construction. In San Francisco, many people would prefer a nicely renovated/maintained Victorian/Edwardian flat.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 6:34 PM

Quote:
S.F.’s Glide Foundation plans a $200 million update of its Tenderloin building, to ‘get more people off the street’
J.K. Dineen
March 4, 2022

San Francisco’s Glide Foundation, known for dispensing hot meals and desperately-needed social services on the city’s hard-luck Tenderloin streets, is planning a $200 million redevelopment that will transform what is now a cramped, outdated former women’s dormitory into a modern facility.

The new, 10-story building at 330 Ellis St. would give Glide’s clients, staff and volunteers the conveniences and space they now lack: a kitchen big enough for the 80,000 meals the group serves annually; an HVAC system to circulate fresh air into what is now a warren of hot stuffy rooms; a lobby big enough that those who depend on Glide for a wide spectrum of needs — from substance abuse treatment to free health care — can wait inside rather than snake around the block to be gawked at by passersby . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/artic...n-16976125.php

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I will say one thing, though. I'm not sure why you are determined to get new construction. In San Francisco, many people would prefer a nicely renovated/maintained Victorian/Edwardian flat.
Totally agree! Nothing beats nice flat in a quiet neighborhood (preferably on a hill )

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 12:20 PM

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I’m going to fly out there, prolly next week or the week after and check out all the suggestions listed above.

When you say rent control, what does that mean exactly? Obviously I can put two and two together but why are some buildings under it and some aren’t?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
I appreciate all the feedback guys. I’m going to fly out there, prolly next week or the week after and check out all the suggestions listed above.

When you say rent control, what does that mean exactly? Obviously I can put two and two together but why are some buildings under it and some aren’t?
I can't give you the detailed definition of rent control. Several decades ago the voters voted to restrict how much rent could be increased based on certain economic indicators. Those buildings that come under rent control is based on the date of contruction of the building. New buildings defined at the time of the rent control law set the date. Buildings beyond that date can have the rent increased whatever the market will allow

I just got my annual rent increase for my apartment in the Essex Fox Plaza this week. My rent increased by $35 a month. The longer a person lives in a rent controlled apartment the better the benefit is over time.

When an apartment becomes vacant the owner of the building can rent the property at market rate & the renter then comes under the rent control law. Think of it as insurance that your rent will not increase dramatically.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 9:53 PM

234-240 Van Ness Avenue Low Income Housing

03/05/2022 - demolition has started! This is a view from Grove Street of the site of the small building which for a long time housed city funded art exhibitions AND a community garden. The partially demolished building is the backside of the building fronting Van Ness Avenue. In the background is the San Francisco Conservatory of Music school & student housing and also people displaced from a new development across the street when that building was demolished.

Future 234-240 Van Ness Development

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 4:22 AM

Happy to see demolition has started for 240 Van Ness!

Here are the most recent renderings for a refresher:

More info can be found on the SFYIMBY site
here.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 6:40 AM

BobbyMucho - thanks for the latest images. The Grove Street side facing city hall is sad. The beautiful civic center deserves better!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 7:59 AM

Quote:

See https://sftu.org/rent-control/ for all the details. In simplest terms, it means for covered buildings that allowable annual rent increases are linked to the Bay Area cost of living increase plus certain allowable expenses including utility increases, tax increases and certain improvements.

The San Francisco ordinance exempted new construction buildings as of when it passed (June 13, 1979) in order not to inhibit the construction of new housing by making it less profitable to build it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
BobbyMucho - thanks for the latest images. The Grove Street side facing city hall is sad. The beautiful civic center deserves better!
I'll reserve judgement until I see the quality of the materials. If all that blank whiteness is Carrera marble, maybe . . . .

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
03/05/2022 - demolition has started! This is a view from Grove Street of the site of the small building which for a long time housed city funded art exhibitions AND a community garden. The partially demolished building is the backside of the building fronting Van Ness Avenue. In the background is the San Francisco Conservatory of Music school & student housing and also people displaced from a new development across the street when that building was demolished.

Future 234-240 Van Ness Development
So glad to see something finally happen to that empty lot. There were many years in which that community garden was just a weed- and trash-strewn hole in the ground.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I'll reserve judgement until I see the quality of the materials. If all that blank whiteness is Carrera marble, maybe . . . .
"The facade will be clad with a textured fiber-cement rain screen."

https://sfyimby.com/2021/10/demoliti...francisco.html

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 7:27 PM

Demo Starts at New SF Flower Market - 901 16th

Didn't get pics, unfortunately, but I saw some activity at the soon-to-be Flower Market site in Potrero Hill on 16th. Looks like demolition of temporary structures and structural work has kicked off in prep for rehabilitation and parking garage construction.

More info here on the project site.

Looks like they're planning to have it open after one year of construction. Can't wait for this corner to get some foot traffic and attention.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 6:53 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Campus Expansion Proposed For California College Of The Arts At 1140 7th Street, Design District, San Francisco

BY: PALAK JAPLOT 5:00 AM ON MARCH 8, 2022

A new academic campus has been proposed at 1140 7th Street in Design District, San Francisco. The project proposal includes the development of a new campus for California College of the Arts in San Francisco.

Studio Gang is responsible for the design concepts.

https://sfyimby.com/2022/03/campus-e...francisco.html

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 10:13 PM

3/8/2022 - View from the Fox Plaza of the demolition at 234-240. A lot now happening in the Civic Center!

234-240 Van Nes Avenue Demolition

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 12:40 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I wonder if the 2022 groundbreaking date in the article has any solid information behind it. this proposal has been delayed for a few years already

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 8:47 AM

Time to give the Potrero Power Station Project its own thread: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...54#post9561254

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 5:34 PM

Very slow going in Downtown SF/Financial District/SoMA!!!! Not one tower being built there until Hines tower sometime this year?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations