HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 11:48 AM

Arrow areas of Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergit View Post
My least favorite is the late February blizzards.
Here in Ontario.

So what is your favorite area in Greater Vancouver if driving to work is not an issue (I'll be working from home)?
West Vancouver is lush and beautiful along the seaside, but mega $$$$$.
North Vancouvr is also expensive, but is higher up toward the mountains.
Point Grey, Kitsilano ... anything West of Cambie is megabucks, ususally.

It depends what you want. False Creek for living "on the water, in the city."
White Rock for a charming seaside town near the city.
Panorama Ridge in Surrey is worth looking at, too. Hills, lots of trees, big houses, rural feeling.

Coquitlam, esp. around Como Lake Park, some charming areas.
New Westminster has some beatiful heritage colonial style homes,
as well as modern concrete?

I would tend to AVOID anything touching on Kingsway, from NW to SE, and MAIN STREET, the entire length.

The best thing to do is come and take a trip here first and look around.

Also, a real estate agent in Toronto might be able to help, and there is always
the WEB.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 2:42 PM
loafing in lotusland

If you want convenience, it's hard to beat downtown, obviously, but some overlooked areas which are a little out of the way are:

Deep Cove, Crescent Beach, Deer Lake and Anmore.

It also depends on if you're renting or buying.

Buying will likely limit you. Renting you can find reasonable prices everywhere.

Kitsilano has the "yuppie-hippy" population with all the trendy stores and quite a few low rises.

Sounds like you want to be close to nature.

I might suggest Maple Ridge if you want a suburb and aren't traveling into the city much. Port Moody if you want something a little closer and more accessible. We[s]t Vancouver if you don't want to see the mountains, but would be on them.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 3:11 PM

Great info here. Thank you.
Sure web is always here but it is interesting to get information from 'first hand'.
Looks like we going to rent first
Close to nature, definitely (we have a lot of city in Toronto and don't use it 99% of the time)
Is renting something like a townhouse or semi doable or it's all apartment buildings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
If you want convenience, it's hard to beat downtown, obviously, but some overlooked areas which are a little out of the way are:

Deep Cove, Crescent Beach, Deer Lake and Anmore.

It also depends on if you're renting or buying.

Buying will likely limit you. Renting you can find reasonable prices everywhere.

Kitsilano has the "yuppie-hippy" population with all the trendy stores and quite a few low rises.

Sounds like you want to be close to nature.

I might suggest Maple Ridge if you want a suburb and aren't traveling into the city much. Port Moody if you want something a little closer and more accessible. We[s]t Vancouver if you don't want to see the mountains, but would be on them.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

I would tend to AVOID anything touching on Kingsway, from NW to SE, and MAIN STREET, the entire length.
Kingsway is not that bad and has cleaned up substantially in Vancouver as well as the Metrotown and Edmonds areas of Burnaby. There are still derelict stretches but it is steadily improving with new infill always in the works.

I really don't get you're comment about Main street as it is generally seen as one of the more desirable areas of Vancouver. It's lively with many independently owned shops, cafes, restaurants, and bars with a distinct lack of chains. Very hipster while still being relatively cheap.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
....I would tend to AVOID anything touching on Kingsway, from NW to SE, and MAIN STREET, the entire length.

The best thing to do is come and take a trip here first and look around.

Also, a real estate agent in Toronto might be able to help, and there is always
the WEB.
Trofir, you may have been away from Vancouver too long. Main is probably the hippest area of Vancouver now and one of the hotter real estate markets, at least from 2nd up to the 30's. As the West side becomes increasingly unaffordable "gentrification" is sweeping East and Fraser St. is probably the next hot spot. Kingsway is going to have a harder time because of its sheer length.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 3:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
To me, November rains feel worse because it gets dark so early. It can be mid afternoon and the sky is already dark. Some days it doesn't even feel like it really fully became daytime. There always seems to be a week like this in November.

December thru February I actually prefer the cloud and rain (interspersed with occassional sunny days) because it means mild temperatures. Sometimes those sunny days can be really cold! It's because in winter, it's generally still humid here, so cold sunny just feels alot colder than it is.

I think the most apprehension I have is when it comes to springtime. You can tell people are just waiting for those beautiful spring days when the air is crisp and sweet, the sun gently warming the earth and the sun shines through broken clouds. The depressing part is when they don't happen early enough or often enough. It's like waiting and then being stood up.

Also, rain here is quite diverse. We don't have just one type of rain. The most common rain is what we call 'showers' which is weaker than 'rain' and more than 'drizzle'. Our heaviest rainfall is in November, then it becomes more and more like showers as time goes on. We rarely get heavy heavy torrenteal rain like monsoons, and that fine drizzle doesn't really happen that much either. Many climates feature a rain pattern that has big giant clouds that roll across the land dumping huge amounts of water and then passing by. Vancouver is not like this.

Vancouver summers are really nice. We seem to often get an early summer late May to early June, then it seems to get wetter and cooler before finally getting warm again in July. September to October -- if it's clear out, it is really really nice. If not then see November.
this is very accurate and sums up the place nicely

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 3:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
Even still it does feels like the amount of water being dumped. Feels far less in places like Richmond Delta and White Rock. It may be much of a difference but I've noticed it in that past.

When I used to work in Ricmond on the north side of the island. A lot of times I'd see an overcast sky but no rain. I'd look over into Vancouver and you could see the rain falling.
as i said, marginal at best. It's not like people are heading to the south for a better climate. besides, other than a slightly better climalte and cheaper housing, i can't think of any other reasons to move there.

We considered white rock but once you get away from the beach front, i found the place very lacking and run down.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Trofir, you may have been away from Vancouver too long. Main is probably the hippest area of Vancouver now and one of the hotter real estate markets, at least from 2nd up to the 30's. As the West side becomes increasingly unaffordable "gentrification" is sweeping East and Fraser St. is probably the next hot spot. Kingsway is going to have a harder time because of its sheer length.
vote 'SOMA' from me too.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 4:02 PM

I did the opposite: I moved from the west coast (Portland, OR), to Toronto. Weather-wise, I find winters out west much more pleasant. The rain gets to be too much, but there is always greenery, which takes away from the greyness quite a bit (contrast with Ontario, where everything -- the buildings, trees, clothing... tends to be colourless).

Deep Cove is fantastic if you want to be on the edge of the city but close by. It has excellent donuts, too!

And at risk of being a contrarian, Toronto's traffic is at least 1,000,000 times worse than anywhere else I've spent a large amount of time. I want to nuke the damn place every time I drive.

Best of luck!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 4:10 PM

yeah, driving in Toronto is a real PITA. would be impossible without highways but even with them Likely I don't have to take DVP to downtown every morning to work. you can easily spend best years of your life there.
I have to look at this Deep Cove now. I think it's part of North Vancouver unless I'm wrong

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 4:48 PM

If it's outdoors that you really want, I'd definitely recommend North Van. It's quite a bit cheaper than West Van, has immediate access to the mountains, yet offers a still quite satisfyingly urban lifestyle...there are many walkable neighbourhoods, and the seabus is a great way to get downtown.

You might also consider living in the city, out towards UBC, where the beaches and Pacific Spirit Park offer a lot of outdoors options. These neighbourhoods are also very walkable, with better transit and more urban amenities than North Van. However these neighbourhoods (Kits, Point Grey, Dunbar and even UBC itself) can be more expensive.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 4:54 PM

Having lived here all my life, and also lived a year in Ottawa, some thoughts -

It's true that November feels worse here. Vancouver is farther north than Ottawa/Toronto - you wouldn't think that would make much difference, but the sunlight starts 1/2 hour later and ends 1/2 hour earlier in winter, and it makes a difference psychologically. Add the clouds and humidity, and it feels incredibly depressing.

On the other hand, February is firmly Spring in Vancouver, while it is firmly Winter Storm season in Ontario. So while we have a dreary fall, we have a much much nicer spring than Ontario. And we get a "real" spring - not just two weeks of transition around May 1st like Ontario gets, but 3 full months of awesome springlike conditions.

As for the difference between North Shore vs. Richmond - I think some of the remarks on this thread are wishful thinking by those who live close to the mountains. At least half of the days that are forecast as "cloudy" or "possible showers" have dark clouds on the North Shore but bright/blue skies down in the Fraser delta. There is a significant difference, and it's quite obvious to those of us to the south who can look north and see conditions at the mountains. Extra clouds are the price you pay for living next to the awesome mountain recreation.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 5:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Having lived here all my life, and also lived a year in Ottawa, some thoughts -

It's true that November feels worse here. Vancouver is farther north than Ottawa/Toronto - you wouldn't think that would make much difference, but the sunlight starts 1/2 hour later and ends 1/2 hour earlier in winter, and it makes a difference psychologically. Add the clouds and humidity, and it feels incredibly depressing.

On the other hand, February is firmly Spring in Vancouver, while it is firmly Winter Storm season in Ontario. So while we have a dreary fall, we have a much much nicer spring than Ontario. And we get a "real" spring - not just two weeks of transition around May 1st like Ontario gets, but 3 full months of awesome springlike conditions.

As for the difference between North Shore vs. Richmond - I think some of the remarks on this thread are wishful thinking by those who live close to the mountains. At least half of the days that are forecast as "cloudy" or "possible showers" have dark clouds on the North Shore but bright/blue skies down in the Fraser delta. There is a significant difference, and it's quite obvious to those of us to the south who can look north and see conditions at the mountains. Extra clouds are the price you pay for living next to the awesome mountain recreation.
I don't doubt there are more sunny days soth of the fraser, but to suggest that it's half of the time, is silly. I have lived here the past 18 years, including 2 years in Delta. In fact i commute daily from the north shore to south surrey for work. Doesn't seem that much better to me.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
There are microclimates even within the North Shore. Parts of West Van are considerably drier than the rest, while Lynn Valley and Deep Cove are considerably wetter. The mountain contours essentially funnel the clouds into those areas. I think I've read somewhere that Lynn Valley is the rainiest part in the Metro. Mind you, those areas also tend to be the most lush, green places you'll ever see. Lynn Canyon, the demonstration forest and the trails there are spectacular to see what Vancouver rainforest really is like.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 6:01 PM

Quote:
My least favorite is the late February blizzards.
Here in Ontario.

So what is your favorite area in Greater Vancouver if driving to work is not an issue (I'll be working from home)?
Any condo on the edge of Stanley Park.
Trees, water, mountains & sunsets to the west, City to the east.

you DID say money's not an issue? right?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Great info here. Thank you.
Sure web is always here but it is interesting to get information from 'first hand'.
Looks like we going to rent first
Close to nature, definitely (we have a lot of city in Toronto and don't use it 99% of the time)
Is renting something like a townhouse or semi doable or it's all apartment buildings?

I don't see why you couldn't rent a townhouse or semi doable . So long has someone is renting one out.

What exactly is a semi doable?

Renting would be a good way to start. If you don't like an area move to a different area. If after a given time you like the area you are in and can afford the price. Maybe look at buying if you so desire.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 6:47 PM

LOL to 'semi doable'.
I meant to say - is rent of a townhouse or semi-detached house possible/practical? The reason I asked - looking through the threads I got an idea that there much more high-rise condos in Vancouver and even suburbs then in Toronto. We have this condos in Toronto too of course but outside of the city it is almost entirely 2-store houses and townhouses

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 7:06 PM

Quote:
LOL to 'semi doable'.
I meant to say - is rent of a townhouse or semi-detached house possible/practical? The reason I asked - looking through the threads I got an idea that there much more high-rise condos in Vancouver and even suburbs then in Toronto. We have this condos in Toronto too of course but outside of the city it is almost entirely 2-store houses and townhouses
Semi-detached is a virtually unknown in Vancouver. High rises can give you some spectacular views, especially if you're on the fringes of the downtown peninsula.

I'll wade into the sunlight debate as well - the North Shore can seem much darker than places south of the Fraser. More cloud cover, mountains and big evergreens. Great place in the summer but psychologically I find it a bit too much in the winter YMMV.

Make sure to save a couple weeks vacation time for Nov-Feb and go to Hawai'i or Mexico.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
I don't doubt there are more sunny days soth of the fraser, but to suggest that it's half of the time, is silly. I have lived here the past 18 years, including 2 years in Delta. In fact i commute daily from the north shore to south surrey for work. Doesn't seem that much better to me.
LOL, ok, I walked into that one by saying "at least half". Let me put it another way: our most common weather forecasts say "mix of sun & cloud", sometimes with "chance of isolated showers". What this tends to mean is "worse weather to the north, better weather to the south" with the dividing line sometimes being Burrard Inlet, sometimes the ridge at 41st or the North Arm, sometimes closer to White Rock.

An uncited statement on wikipedia says that, in Metro Vancouver, "It is a general rule of thumb that for every rise of 100 metres in elevation, there is an additional 100 millimetres (1.2 in per 100 ft) of precipitation."

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 8:10 PM
See ya down under, mates

I absolutely hate Vancouver's weather, but I grew up in Sydney where the weather is pretty much perfect.

My wife is visiting a friend in Toronto right now and is saying she likes it better there than Vancouver. I've never been that far east, but from a distance it seems like a better fit for me too. I don't give a damn about mountains or hiking or the few things Vancouver is known for. Although I do love the ocean breeze when it is not clogged up by the city's unusually high number of smokers (by Canadian standards - of course most of the smokers are not Canadian).

My parents moved to the Upper Capilano area when I was young and that was the worst for rain. Just constant HARD rain in the winter, even when it was okay everywhere else. I still live on the north shore, since I like the "culture," but at the bottom of the hill near the inlet where the mountains have minimal effect.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion