HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7341  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:13 PM
DoubleK DoubleK is offline
#YYC
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I don't know how they are going to accommodate 22x access to McLeod since the current ramps aren't connected to the new bridges. I suspect it will be signalized left turns, but that is not confirmed.
This has become much clearer this week. They have paved a detour ramp from SB McLeod Trail to 22x. It's about 200m west of the current signal light. The crappy thing is that SB to WB traffic will be bottlenecked by the signal as there isn't a separation between the EB and WB turning lanes. Traffic will have to make a right turn at the light as opposed to the current configuration where it is a merge onto 22X.

Getting home after work is going to suck a lot more very soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7342  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:16 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
This has become much clearer this week. They have paved a detour ramp from SB McLeod Trail to 22x. It's about 200m west of the current signal light. The crappy thing is that SB to WB traffic will be bottlenecked by the signal as there isn't a separation between the EB and WB turning lanes. Traffic will have to make a right turn at the light as opposed to the current configuration where it is a merge onto 22X.

Getting home after work is going to suck a lot more very soon.
But in a few years. Systems interchange bliss and a MUCH better road system.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7343  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:19 PM
msmariner msmariner is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 225
Looks like work is being done at the 60st / Stoney interchange. Looks like they are working on right in/right out ramp situation on the South side. Similar to 14st NW
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7344  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:39 PM
DoubleK DoubleK is offline
#YYC
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
But in a few years. Systems interchange bliss and a MUCH better road system.
The personal inconvenience won't last quite a year. Once the 194th Ave connection to McLeod is built, I won't need to access 22x and can stay out of the contractor's way.

Watching these guys work is really something else. Go away for a weekend and everything has changed. I truly am amazed at how quickly and how much dirt they can move.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7345  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:08 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
The personal inconvenience won't last quite a year. Once the 194th Ave connection to McLeod is built, I won't need to access 22x and can stay out of the contractor's way.

Watching these guys work is really something else. Go away for a weekend and everything has changed. I truly am amazed at how quickly and how much dirt they can move.
That's good to hear. I was looking at the project website last night and noticed that there are still no photos or videos posted. When the 216 was being built in Edmonton it seemed like they had monthly photo updates and often you could zoom in on the pics. They also had cool videos.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7346  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:05 AM
5seconds's Avatar
5seconds 5seconds is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,612
It's funny because the contractor has documented the construction very well, but nothing has been posted. I wonder if it's somehow due to the environmental appeal and not wanting to give that group any ammunition for a fight.
__________________
My Southwest Calgary Ring Road Blog: calgaryringroad.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7347  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:54 AM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
That's good to hear. I was looking at the project website last night and noticed that there are still no photos or videos posted. When the 216 was being built in Edmonton it seemed like they had monthly photo updates and often you could zoom in on the pics. They also had cool videos.
Same with the Regina Bypass Guys. But their social media is getting better now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7348  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:11 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Same with the Regina Bypass Guys. But their social media is getting better now.
Unless I'm not seeing it the Calgary guys aren't even on social media. You'd think on a $2.2 billion project they could at least setup a Twitter account to tweet out traffic-related updates and the odd photo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7349  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:31 PM
speedog's Avatar
speedog speedog is offline
Moran supreme
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,439
I'd rather them focus their energies and monies on getting these projects completed as opposed to putting out social media updates and such - humans are generally creatures that are fairly adept at adapting to new or changed conditions/situations and traffic reroutes in a construction zone would fall into this category.
__________________
Just a wee bit below average prairie boy in Canada's third largest city and fourth largest CMA
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7350  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:58 PM
suburbia suburbia is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
I'd rather them focus their [] monies on getting these projects completed as opposed to putting out social media updates and such
How much do you pay for your FB and Twitter accounts?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7351  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:20 PM
sammyd sammyd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
How much do you pay for your FB and Twitter accounts?
Resist the urge to always be an asshole.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7352  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:02 PM
RWin's Avatar
RWin RWin is offline
of Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
I stumbled upon some recent aerial photos of ring road construction that may be of interest:
https://wgppsphoto.smugmug.com/Infor...9-2017-flight/
A number of the photos reference "Weaselhead Road Tunnel"

What is the Weaselhead Road Tunnel? The plan is for a bridge right?
__________________
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7353  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:13 PM
CrossedTheTracks CrossedTheTracks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
A number of the photos reference "Weaselhead Road Tunnel"

What is the Weaselhead Road Tunnel? The plan is for a bridge right?
Weaselhead Road is a local road on the reserve that also goes across the river, and goes under the ring road in the general vicinity north of the river.

I thought it was more of an "underpass" than "tunnel", but I'm not all that familiar with exact designs there.
__________________
"Skyscraper, skyscraper, scrape me some sky..." - Dennis Lee
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7354  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:23 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyd View Post
Resist the urge to always be an asshole.
Aww common sometimes you get a gift on a silver platter... this is THAT time! Haha

But seriously people around the country are interested in this stuff and want to know what's going on! Not just for a local folks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7355  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:43 PM
speedog's Avatar
speedog speedog is offline
Moran supreme
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
How much do you pay for your FB and Twitter accounts?
You don't really get it, it takes someone's time to do this and even if it is a little bit of time that loaded rate could probably be better spent elsewhere.
__________________
Just a wee bit below average prairie boy in Canada's third largest city and fourth largest CMA
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7356  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 8:17 PM
Porfiry Porfiry is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
You don't really get it, it takes someone's time to do this and even if it is a little bit of time that loaded rate could probably be better spent elsewhere.
They post lots of stuff to their website (I mean, construction notices and whatnot) on a regular basis. It wouldn't take any meaningful additional effort to post those updates on Twitter at the same time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7357  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 8:45 PM
5seconds's Avatar
5seconds 5seconds is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
They post lots of stuff to their website (I mean, construction notices and whatnot) on a regular basis. It wouldn't take any meaningful additional effort to post those updates on Twitter at the same time.
Agreed. their notices are pretty good, with decent maps, timelines etc. I think pushing the same content to social media would be a benefit.
__________________
My Southwest Calgary Ring Road Blog: calgaryringroad.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7358  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 5:31 PM
5seconds's Avatar
5seconds 5seconds is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,612
The Environmental Appeals Board hearing is going on right now over the 4 wetlands in the Elbow river valley, and will wrap up on Wednesday.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3819004/e...-3-day-hearing
__________________
My Southwest Calgary Ring Road Blog: calgaryringroad.wordpress.com

Last edited by 5seconds; Oct 23, 2017 at 5:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7359  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 4:13 AM
craner's Avatar
craner craner is offline
Go Tall or Go Home
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,823
^Recommendations from the Board go to the Minister for a final decision - correct ?
How long do you figure that will take ?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7360  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 5:51 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^Recommendations from the Board go to the Minister for a final decision - correct ?
How long do you figure that will take ?
I heard on the news today that a decision is expected within 20 days. But they also said the board is independent of government. According to this CBC news article the EAB says one of three outcomes is possible.

EAB spokesman Gilbert Van Nes says there are three possible outcomes from the hearings.

"That the approval here be confirmed, which means everything's fine; reversed, which means we have to go back to the drawing board; or varied, which means the board will make changes to the approval that would allow the project to proceed," he said.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...eals-1.4368317
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.