HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:13 PM
#YYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I don't know how they are going to accommodate 22x access to McLeod since the current ramps aren't connected to the new bridges. I suspect it will be signalized left turns, but that is not confirmed.
This has become much clearer this week. They have paved a detour ramp from SB McLeod Trail to 22x. It's about 200m west of the current signal light. The crappy thing is that SB to WB traffic will be bottlenecked by the signal as there isn't a separation between the EB and WB turning lanes. Traffic will have to make a right turn at the light as opposed to the current configuration where it is a merge onto 22X.

Getting home after work is going to suck a lot more very soon.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
This has become much clearer this week. They have paved a detour ramp from SB McLeod Trail to 22x. It's about 200m west of the current signal light. The crappy thing is that SB to WB traffic will be bottlenecked by the signal as there isn't a separation between the EB and WB turning lanes. Traffic will have to make a right turn at the light as opposed to the current configuration where it is a merge onto 22X.

Getting home after work is going to suck a lot more very soon.
But in a few years. Systems interchange bliss and a MUCH better road system.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:19 PM

Looks like work is being done at the 60st / Stoney interchange. Looks like they are working on right in/right out ramp situation on the South side. Similar to 14st NW

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:39 PM
#YYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
But in a few years. Systems interchange bliss and a MUCH better road system.
The personal inconvenience won't last quite a year. Once the 194th Ave connection to McLeod is built, I won't need to access 22x and can stay out of the contractor's way.

Watching these guys work is really something else. Go away for a weekend and everything has changed. I truly am amazed at how quickly and how much dirt they can move.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
The personal inconvenience won't last quite a year. Once the 194th Ave connection to McLeod is built, I won't need to access 22x and can stay out of the contractor's way.

Watching these guys work is really something else. Go away for a weekend and everything has changed. I truly am amazed at how quickly and how much dirt they can move.
That's good to hear. I was looking at the project website last night and noticed that there are still no photos or videos posted. When the 216 was being built in Edmonton it seemed like they had monthly photo updates and often you could zoom in on the pics. They also had cool videos.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:05 AM

It's funny because the contractor has documented the construction very well, but nothing has been posted. I wonder if it's somehow due to the environmental appeal and not wanting to give that group any ammunition for a fight.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
That's good to hear. I was looking at the project website last night and noticed that there are still no photos or videos posted. When the 216 was being built in Edmonton it seemed like they had monthly photo updates and often you could zoom in on the pics. They also had cool videos.
Same with the Regina Bypass Guys. But their social media is getting better now.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Same with the Regina Bypass Guys. But their social media is getting better now.
Unless I'm not seeing it the Calgary guys aren't even on social media. You'd think on a $2.2 billion project they could at least setup a Twitter account to tweet out traffic-related updates and the odd photo.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:31 PM
Moran supreme

I'd rather them focus their energies and monies on getting these projects completed as opposed to putting out social media updates and such - humans are generally creatures that are fairly adept at adapting to new or changed conditions/situations and traffic reroutes in a construction zone would fall into this category.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
I'd rather them focus their [] monies on getting these projects completed as opposed to putting out social media updates and such
How much do you pay for your FB and Twitter accounts?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Resist the urge to always be an asshole.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:02 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
I stumbled upon some recent aerial photos of ring road construction that may be of interest:
https://wgppsphoto.smugmug.com/Infor...9-2017-flight/
A number of the photos reference "Weaselhead Road Tunnel"

What is the Weaselhead Road Tunnel? The plan is for a bridge right?
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
A number of the photos reference "Weaselhead Road Tunnel"

What is the Weaselhead Road Tunnel? The plan is for a bridge right?
Weaselhead Road is a local road on the reserve that also goes across the river, and goes under the ring road in the general vicinity north of the river.

I thought it was more of an "underpass" than "tunnel", but I'm not all that familiar with exact designs there.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyd View Post
Resist the urge to always be an asshole.
Aww common sometimes you get a gift on a silver platter... this is THAT time! Haha

But seriously people around the country are interested in this stuff and want to know what's going on! Not just for a local folks.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:43 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
You don't really get it, it takes someone's time to do this and even if it is a little bit of time that loaded rate could probably be better spent elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
You don't really get it, it takes someone's time to do this and even if it is a little bit of time that loaded rate could probably be better spent elsewhere.
They post lots of stuff to their website (I mean, construction notices and whatnot) on a regular basis. It wouldn't take any meaningful additional effort to post those updates on Twitter at the same time.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
They post lots of stuff to their website (I mean, construction notices and whatnot) on a regular basis. It wouldn't take any meaningful additional effort to post those updates on Twitter at the same time.
Agreed. their notices are pretty good, with decent maps, timelines etc. I think pushing the same content to social media would be a benefit.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 5:31 PM

The Environmental Appeals Board hearing is going on right now over the 4 wetlands in the Elbow river valley, and will wrap up on Wednesday.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3819004/e...-3-day-hearing

Last edited by 5seconds; Oct 23, 2017 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 4:13 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Recommendations from the Board go to the Minister for a final decision - correct ?
How long do you figure that will take ?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^Recommendations from the Board go to the Minister for a final decision - correct ?
How long do you figure that will take ?
I heard on the news today that a decision is expected within 20 days. But they also said the board is independent of government. According to this CBC news article the EAB says one of three outcomes is possible.

EAB spokesman Gilbert Van Nes says there are three possible outcomes from the hearings.

"That the approval here be confirmed, which means everything's fine; reversed, which means we have to go back to the drawing board; or varied, which means the board will make changes to the approval that would allow the project to proceed," he said.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...eals-1.4368317

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure