HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 5:53 AM

It looks like the permit for the Apartment Structure is still being worked on, so that's good. There's a few things that apparently must be fixed before they can issue the permit to build.

http://phoenix.gov/haht-bin/hsrun/pa...-C&ID=19953030

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
It looks like the permit for the Apartment Structure is still being worked on, so that's good. There's a few things that apparently must be fixed before they can issue the permit to build.

Has anything changed on the proposed building permit?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 5:24 AM

Wish I had some news on the apartments, but...

I stayed at the Palomar last weekend. The hotel itself is very nice, aside from the pool which lacked enough seating. As I walked into the room, I was super impressed by the views looking west- both Luhrs buildings, city hall, etc. But, then I approached the window and was hit by an endless mass of white concrete: the roof of the two-story CityScape retail building (with Lucky Strike, Copper Blues, etc.). Couldn't they have done something- ANYTHING? A green roof? A mural?

I know I'm being extremely picky, but it's just one more example of how cheap and tacky the design of this mini mall is. From above, it's even more obvious how suburban the design is; it looks like something you'd see in the corner of Dobson and Ray, not in the heart of our downtown.

Walking down Jefferson to the light rail was even more depressing. Across the street from the most beautiful (IMO) buildings we have in Phoenix are multiple garage entrances, a loading zone, and not a single store front. What a complete miss. There was plenty of foot traffic during the game, and even into the evening, that could feed into a nice retail/shipping street and instead, it's a complete wasteland aside from a freaking Subway.

Meanwhile, The Strand was packed during lunch and BlueHound was so crowded around 9 that we had to head down to the Arrogant Butcher. I was so impressed by the amount of people out and about on a Saturday. It's clear people are drawn to the options within CityScape... it's a shame that the design is such a disaster by isolating itself and will ultimately prevent anything organic from happening with the surrounding areas.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 5:29 AM
BANNED

You're totally right, new guy, RED fucked us.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I know I'm being extremely picky
I don't think you're being picky. That inward facing plain and dull building with no street presence is garbage.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 9:38 PM

The Gypsy Bar coming to Cityscape
2 stories about the new restaurant/night club/arcade coming to Cityscape

The Lucky Strike Lanes at Cityscape is about to get a new neighbor, and a fun one at that. The Gypsy Bar -- a nightlife establishment that will feature an arcade, dance floor, DJ booth, and VIP booths, as well space for dining and drinking -- will debut next door to the upscale bowling alley sometime in the next few weeks.
According to general manager Dallas Henderson, they're hoping to open the establishment by the end of the September and offer Cityscape patrons and downtown Phoenix urbanites a place to grab a drink, shake a tailfeather, or partake some video game thrills.

Henderson -- who formerly managed Blue Martini Lounge locations in North Phoenix, Las Vegas, and other cities across the country - says that the nightlife establishment is the brainchild of Lucky Strike Lanes owner Steven Foster. He adds that it was partially inspired and loosely connected to a similarly themed another Gypsy Bar located in Boston, which is co-owned by Foster.

And although it's connected to Lucky Strike's Cityscape location, Henderson says it will be considered to be a "separate entity" from the bowling joint.

"Its attached to Lucky Strike and will be operated with some of the same staff, but it's pretty much its own individual business," Henderson says. "It will be 21-and-up after certain hours and will have a different crowd and more strictly enforced dress code on the weekends. Just because you walk into Lucky Strike doesn't necessarily mean you can walk into Gypsy Bar."

And its also going to be more of an "adult playground," he says.

"There's going to be a lot going on inside here and there's not much missing," he says. "We're pretty sure we've got all our bases covered and the only thing you could really add would be a swimming pool...or a bounce house."

Oncee it opens its doors, the 15,000-square-foot establishment, which is attached to Lucky Strike on Cityscape's upper level, will include a large U-shaped white bar and separate dining area for those patrons eager for some eats or perhaps a cocktail (more info on Gypsy Bar's food and drink offering can be found over on our sister blog Chow Bella).

Meanwhile, DJs will be busy behind the mixers on the establishment's stage, which overlooks a dance floor and lounge area that's ringed with a number of long tuck and roll leatherette couches. A pair of VIP areas will be alongside the lounge and offer views overlooking the dance floor. If you're hoping for Old Town Scottsdale-style VIP treatment, however, you might have to look elsewhere.

"I don't know if we're going to do a tremendous amount of bottle service, we're not trying to appeal to the crowd that's in Scottsdale," he adds.

Henderson also says they're installing such "spectacular" dance club amenities as carbon dioxide and confetti canons, hazers, and numerous lighting elements.
The entertainment lineup won't be limited to just DJs, Henderson says, as he's planning on booking fashion and boutique shows, aerial acts, performance artists, and the sporadic live music nights.

"Occasionally we'll have some live music but no so much in the traditional sense," he says. "We're trying to feature entertainment that incorporates elements of music with some visual stimulus, whether that means a horn player accompanying a DJ, a quartet of electric violinists, go-go dancers...or whatever the evening may call for. It will constantly be changing, like a gypsy."

Henderson also says that the stage will also feature a few recessed "cubby hole" areas that will be lighted and scrimmed where individual musicians or artists can perform.

And while high-energy electronica or other tunes are blasting out of the lounge, high-tech electronic action will take place in the arcade located in the back of Gypsy Bar. More than a dozen high-end redemption games like Fruit Ninja or Deal or No Deal will be available for play, as well as skeeball machines, basketball abd football games, and regular arcade titles like Fast and Furious: Super Cars or the trigger-happy Terminator: Salvation first-person shooter. Heck, there's even a four-player version of Pac-Man.

Henderson says that Gypsy Bar is more akin to a nightclub that offers video games instead of just a clone of upscale arcade chain like Dave & Busters or Gameworks.

Most of the games will allow patrons to accrue points on a electronic card, which can be redeemed for high-end prizes that are a bit more posh than the stuff available at your neighborhood Peter Piper Pizza.

"We won't have any gold spider rings or cheesy prizes like that," Henderson says. "It ill be more like iPods, iTunes cards, or digital cameras."

Read more here

Another eating and drinking spot is coming to CityScape and it's a wee bit different than the other new restaurants that have arrived recently at the chain-happy downtown Phoenix outdoor mall. How so? It's got an arcade inside, just in case you wanted a side of Pac-Man to go along with that order of pork ribs.

Gypsy Bar -- a combination nightspot, dance club, restaurant, drinkery, and game parlor -- is set to open at CityScape by September's end and is connected to the posh Lucky Strike Lanes.

While flashy arcade and redemption games offer thrills in the back of the establishment, a majority of the floor space at Gypsy Bar, which is also owned by Lucky Strike founder Steven Foster, will be devoted to food and drink.

A large white corian bar decked out with an ivory-colored leather trim dominates the place and will serve luxe libations, including an extensive and eclectic cocktail menu of 30 sophisticated and specialty cocktails.

Gypsy Bar's general manager Dallas Henderson says that they will also have twenty taps pouring microbrews and locally crafted beers, as well as the dozens of domestic beers available by the bottle. Four big screen 55-inch HDTVs will hang above the bar and screen NFL games and other sporting events, as well as boxing and UFC pay-per-views.

The dining area next to the bar will have space for anywhere from 75 to 100 patrons. Henderson says that both Lucky Strike and Gypsy Bar will share the same menu, which is getting revamped and will offer more cuisine options.

In addition to a selection of sliders and sammies, both establishments are adding sushi (including specialty rolls like the "Kingpin" and "Lucky Strike"), a variety of tacos featuring such fillings as marinated short rib meat, and new appetizers like fresh-made guacamole and fondue.

Henderson says that Gypsy Bar will also provide more of a "traditional dining experience" than its sister location next door.

"At Lucky Strike, it's a little weird because the dining area is set up more like a lounge," he says. "But at Gypsy Bar, its a bit more like a restaurant, if that makes sense."

Just be sure to wipe off those hands before heading to the back and grabbing ahold of a joystick.

Read more here

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 1:01 AM

Hmm, not sure what to think about that...not exactly what I was expecting or hoping for. Sounds like it's something different and unique though so hopefully it does well, I don't really see myself going there though.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:22 AM

I'm all about destinations downtown that offer more than just dining/drinking, so I do hope it survives.

That said, I'm totally confused by what exactly the place is, and not a big fan of the "trying to be something for everyone" strategy. A dance/nightclub alone would have sufficed and been a nice addition; likewise, an arcade would have been fun. I'm just not seeing the connecton between the two activities, even for something as trivial as attire- what I'd wear to Dave and Buster's is totally different than what I would wear to a nightclub.

On a similar note, I do hope they stick with enforcing the dress code, as it's a shame that they've let it slip over at Lucky Strike. Downtowns should have a nice variety of optons for a range of people, but I would have liked to see it stay as a place on the nicer end of things, since there are very few "classy" nightlife venues downtown to begin with.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 10:30 PM

I got word from our office admin that DHS installed cameras facing down on top of all 4 sides of the cityscape tower this weekend. Sure enough they are there. They will be installing them on all downtown high-rise buildings in PHX. Anyone else hear this about Big Brother and his cameras?

Well 3 so far...

Last edited by AZScraper; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:53 AM

That is wrong on so many levels. There is no credible reason the Homeland Security needs to place Government camera allover downtown Phoenix or any other city.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 4:35 AM

Planning on doing something naughty Duck?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 4:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck View Post
That is wrong on so many levels. There is no credible reason the Homeland Security needs to place Government camera allover downtown Phoenix or any other city.
I agree. What exactly is in DT Phx that warrants this?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 10:32 PM

Consider this the golden era when cameras are still statically mounted on buildings. Before long they'll be zipping around town on quad-copters and other drones...

Last edited by Jsmscaleros; Sep 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

Any word on the apartment structure permit? I check on the City of Phoenix Development Services site periodically but haven't seen anything new.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:00 AM

Unfortunately nothing new, which sucks. Only thing of any importance on the permit side lately is a build permit for Potbelly so that should go going forward full speed now.

Also just saw this article on the "Gypsy Bar", and they also have a website in the works...

http://www.gypsybarphoenix.com/

As I said before, not a big fan of the concept...they are selling it as a high-end nightclub...but with 40 arcades? How do those two things go together? Don't like the name either..."high end nightclub" isn't exactly what comes to mind.

Quote:
HIGH-END NIGHTCLUB, GYPSY BAR, TO OPEN IN CITYSCAPE

Posted on September 25, 2012 by Scottsdale Living

Where else can you bowl a strike, walk a few steps to an adjacent, high-end nightclub and cross your fingers in hopes of not striking out? CityScape — and Gypsy Bar, which will be connected to Lucky Strike Lanes, is adding its name to the already-hip roster of nightlife hotspots in the downtown Phoenix area.

“In light of the overwhelming support we’ve received from the public since opening Lucky Strike in downtown Phoenix,” says Steven Foster, owner and CEO of Gypsy Bar and Lucky Strike, “we’re thrilled to be rolling out yet another fun nightlife experience.”

At more than 10,000 sq. ft., able to hold approximately 380 people and open seven days a week, Gypsy Bar, according to Foster, will provide guests with “great DJs and a dance floor to an adult-oriented game lounge and a delicious menu.” And, with neighbors such as the US Airways Center, Chase Field and ASU’s downtown campus, he adds that “it’s exciting to be a part of the area’s continuing evolution as a nightlife destination.”

A full-service, upscale nightclub, Gypsy Bar will offer a full menu, which will include a variety of items from tacos and hamburgers to lobster and prime rib, as well as specialty cocktails, premium beers, VIP/bottle service and entertainment. To take it a few steps further, guests can also expect state-of-the-art video systems on either side of the DJ booth, as well as carbon dioxide, confetti cannons, snow and various lighting effects surrounding the dance floor.

As for the “fully-loaded” game lounge, it will feature 40 arcade games, including 2 Minute Drill, 2 Fast & Furious, Deal or No Deal, Guitar Hero, NBA Hoops, Pac-Man Battle Royal Deluxe, Super Bikes and Super Cars. Guests of Gypsy Bar can purchase an electronic rechargeable game card, which will accumulate reward points, and redeem prizes ranging from iPods to Pez dispensers.

Or, for those who plan to take it easy, dine and socialize at the three-sided island bar or on the contemporary lounge sofa sections.

Gypsy Bar’s Grand Opening party, Commotion, will take place on Saturday, October 6 at 10 p.m. The VIP pre-party begins at 7 p.m. DJ Roonie G, who blends both audio and visual content and considered one of the best video DJs, will be performing.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 1:21 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Hm, I don't really get the concept of Gypsy Bar either, but every establishment isn't for every person I suppose.

I got excited momentarily when I heard "arcade", but that thing sounds awful. Just a bunch of boring modern games that aren't very good, like what Dave & Busters is full of.

I'd kill for an Arcade like Ground Kontrol in Portland somewhere in Central PHX. It could do great along Lower Grand, somewhere like the Paper Heart building. Or near Roosevelt Row, say the 333 E Portland building (the mid century modern building w/ the slanty roof and clearstory windows that was formerly a synagogue).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 1:59 AM

From an earlier article regarding the Gypsy Bar:
"He adds that it was partially inspired and loosely connected to a similarly themed another Gypsy Bar located in Boston, which is co-owned by Foster."

If that is the case, you might get kind of a hint of what the CityScape club will look like by perusing the Boston club's website:
http://www.gypsybarboston.com/index.asp

If you click on "photos" or "venue" you can get a feel for the motif.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 2:31 AM

That Boston website doesn't work fully for me (guess its not ipad friendly) but I do see an announcement for Bob Sinclair performing on Oct 18, that is something that I would def. check out so maybe I'm being too quick to judge.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Planning on doing something naughty Duck?
Nope, just value my privacy from the government.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 7:55 PM

Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck View Post
Nope, just value my privacy from the government.
I love cameras in public places. I have nothing to hide and if we can deter crime or catch criminals I am 100% for it. I will give up privacy to save someones life or property anytime.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest