HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 9:42 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Ok, I was in Tuscaloosa this past Sunday and the following is what I saw. It was dark, so I didn't get to see everything, but I'll do my best to update y'all.

-The westbound lanes of Hackberry are being repaved (another testament to what low bidding does to our infrastructure.

-Phase three was still under construction, but I couldn't see it. It seems Shelby Ln has been shut down for good. It should be torn up and replaced with greenspace within the next year.

-New dorm next to Rose Towers is progressing nicely. I got a nice view of it from Jack Warner Pkwy. I appeared to have been at the 5th floor.

-Energy plant along Hackberry between Gordon Palmer (hate that building) and the Queen City Nursing School house is still under construction. A lot of road is being torn up to place the infrastructure for the plant. Roads are being torn up so that new pipes can be laid, etc...

-Indoor tennis center is now under construction.

Anyways, that all that I saw. We all know about the NOAA National Water Center and the future UA System office building, and those should begin construction within a few months.

I don't think I've ever seen as much construction in the past 4 years that I've been at Alabama than I've seen now. Campus is busy this summer.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:12 PM

The new Phi Delt House is also underway. It seems like they are expanding fraternity row even more because this one is located on the side of the soccer fields and cutting into some game day parking in the grass.
As far as the 3rd phase of Shelby, it is looking pretty good. They almost have the entire building bricked now and they have taken up all of the grass in the quad between the buildings (all of that grass never really did to well after they laid it anyway). They have fencing up all around H.M. Comer so I reckon they will be starting the 4th phase pretty soon.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 5:39 PM

If the daytime high ever dips below 85, I might venture out and take some pictures.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 6:10 PM

Sorry bout that, the new house they started is Sigma Chi and not Phi Delt.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 9:12 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Ok, I'm going to try to run down everything that is going on, on campus. There is A LOT. Definitely the most that I've seen happening in the entire 4.5 years that I've been here.

1) Energy/Steam Plant construction: on Hackberrry Ln, between Gordon Palmer and the Druid City Nursing house. This project is creating numerous other construction projects around campus as university construction crews work to lay and tunnel new piping and energy lines to various buildings.

2) Science and Engineering Phase III: Almost finished. New sidewalk has been built between The Ferg and Shelby, and the road between Phase III and Hackberry is beginning to be torn up.

3) Frat House: At the corner of University and 2nd (?): I can't remember the name of that street, anyways, construction has started on a new frat house. The new ATO house has been completed.

4) New lamp posts: Along University Blvd. at The Quad. New lamp posts with lights on the street side and sidewalk side. New sod too.

5) New lamp/cameras: On The Quad. New cameras have been placed throughout The Quad in preparation for this coming football season.

6) New Sorority Houses: Behind the President's Mansion. I think it's three houses. Either way, they're progresses nicely.

7) First phase of residential/rec/dining: The first phase includes the residential hall that is pretty much a twin of Ridgecrest South. About 900 beds, about 7 floors, might be 8. But, it's pretty much topped out, but the second half of it is about 2/3 away from being topped out. Should be completed by the end of the spring.

8) Sidewalk widening: From Hackberry Ln to The Highlands.

9) Destruction of The Highlands: Underway. Two buildings have already come down.

10) BB Comer landscaping and lighting: Looks VERY good. Landscaping includes new grass and the building has been restored (the exterior). It's a good representative of what it used to look like.

11) NOAA Water Research Center: I haven't seen any progress yet, and I haven't seen where it is supposed to go, but I'll let you know when I do.

12) Hackberry repaving: Done. New bike lanes included.

13) Tennis Center: In progress. Main structure is complete (the exoskeleton).

That's about all I can think of right now. The new Partlow building is under construction, the University is managing that. Once that is complete, the university will take over the Bryce property.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 3:42 AM

The NOAA facility is supposed to go on the site currently occupied by the EHS facility near McMillian Building. EHS will have to move to where it's supposed to go (I don't know where) before anything can proceed.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 4:26 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
The NOAA facility is supposed to go on the site currently occupied by the EHS facility near McMillian Building. EHS will have to move to where it's supposed to go (I don't know where) before anything can proceed.
Well, I know that the UA system is building an office building on University Blvd somewhere, maybe it will go in there too? I would think that this whole process shouldn't take long.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 5:09 PM

http://cw.ua.edu/2011/09/01/ua-to-ex...xt-five-years/

Looks like there is going to be even more change around campus than there has been in the past 5 years. I personally like the way things are going though.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 8:19 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamastu13 View Post
http://cw.ua.edu/2011/09/01/ua-to-ex...xt-five-years/

Looks like there is going to be even more change around campus than there has been in the past 5 years. I personally like the way things are going though.
All of that is good to hear. But, what land could they possibly acquire? I mean, unless they try and hop across the river, or gobble up some stuff on the other side of McFarland, I don't know where it would come from...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 5:26 AM

They might try to buy up spaces along University between DCH and Butler Field where various restaurants and gas stations are located now. That's the only places I can think of that aren't taken up by student housing or already owned by the University.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 11:02 PM

UA approves new construction plans | TuscaloosaNews.com

* A new residence hall to be constructed where Rose Towers stands now. Rose will be demolished after this year. It will be the twin of the still under-construction North Bluff Residential community. It will be seven stories tall and have 864 beds and is expected to open in fall 2014. Rose is 13 stories and has 750 beds. It was built in 1969.

* A new rec center and dining hall will be built in between the two residence halls. The Rec Center will have everything but a pool. The dining hall will seat 250 people.

* A $27.5 million project that will add nearly 60,000 square feet onto the south end of the Ferguson Center, while renovating 99,000 square feet. The Supe Store will the main beneficiary of the new addition as it will nearly doubled in size. I don't fully understand this development as it will either have to be underground, or it will cut into the North Ferguson parking lot (but I've always heard that that particular parking lot will be eliminated in the next few years anyway.

* This is really needed...a 50,000-square-foot addition to the Gorgas Library. Will double the seating capacity of the library. Looks like most of the addition will come from adding two basement floors underneath the 1967 addition to the building, aka the back wing, which faces north on Capstone Drive. The south, "main" entrance will be updated to have a grander facade to match the north, "traditional", entrance.

* Another frat house

* A 50,000 sq. ft digital media center to be built the Zone at Bryant Denny Stadium.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 11:16 PM

Additions to Gorgas and The Ferg are long overdue. The North Bluff addition is going to make that dorm complex massive. The one that they have been working on is already huge!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 7:07 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Additions to Gorgas and The Ferg are long overdue. The North Bluff addition is going to make that dorm complex massive. The one that they have been working on is already huge!
Agreed, especially that Gorgas expansion.

Too bad I won't be here to enjoy any of this... I already detest going to the rec center cause it's so crowded now... It's so much more crowded than it used to be.

BTW, are you a student at UA?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Agreed, especially that Gorgas expansion.

Too bad I won't be here to enjoy any of this... I already detest going to the rec center cause it's so crowded now... It's so much more crowded than it used to be.

BTW, are you a student at UA?
Yeah, I am. I'm a Junior. I won't be around to see much of this either. Between the city being rebuilt and the campus being constantly changed I figure I'll come back in 10 years and not be able to recognize anything.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Between the city being rebuilt and the campus being constantly changed I figure I'll come back in 10 years and not be able to recognize anything.
I was in Texas most of this summer, and I definitely see a lot of differences in the last few months.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 4:38 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity View Post
I was in Texas most of this summer, and I definitely see a lot of differences in the last few months.
I think I'm going to make a map of everything that has been worked on, constructed, or changed since I've been here... That's since 2007, WOW I'm old...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 2:24 AM

Does anyone have any updates on the new sorority house construction? I'm curious to see if the tree that was inside New Hall's courtyard is still standing. It was standing as of June when New Hall was being demolished (see this photo from Taylor Nichols at http://web1.twitpic.com/58gax9)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 3:50 AM

I haven't really noticed about the tree over there. It seems like they would leave it up, but knowing the University it's probably gone. Along with the 3 new fraternity houses that are being/about to be built there will be a large number of new greek houses in the near future.

They have put a construction sign up outside of Russell Hall showing that they will be doing renovations. It looks like it is going to be very nice once they get it done. It'll be a huge step up from its looks now (very 70's/80's).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:00 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I haven't really noticed about the tree over there. It seems like they would leave it up, but knowing the University it's probably gone. Along with the 3 new fraternity houses that are being/about to be built there will be a large number of new greek houses in the near future.

They have put a construction sign up outside of Russell Hall showing that they will be doing renovations. It looks like it is going to be very nice once they get it done. It'll be a huge step up from its looks now (very 70's/80's).
I got a pic of it. I keep meaning to upload it somewhere so that I can post it, but I haven't found the time. Not that it would take long...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 4:30 AM

http://s560.photobucket.com/albums/s...7F35D950F5.jpg

http://s560.photobucket.com/albums/s...B5BC2E646F.jpg

Took these pics of the new South Engineering Research Center last Saturday on my walk across campus, prior to the start of the Bama vs. Tennessee game. The pics don't do this new building justice. It is gorgeous. There is a huge pile of dirt where the fourth phase of the Science and Engineering Complex will go. Still can't believe how much this part of campus has changed. It used to be so ugly back there. I love how one can see the old main building of Bryce now.

Also noticed the construction behind Russell Hall. I was surprised at how far behind it was from the back entrance of Russell. I know it must be the new expansion part of Russell, but it sure was far from the back side.

Anyone have renderings of what it will look like when completed? The renovation and expansion of Russell?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast