HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Well, I don't really want to fight over this, but that's a good bit longer, goes through a lot of suburb, leaves out Glendale and DT altogether.
That's because i'm hoping the Yellow Line (or basically, an Orange Line extension to DTLA) does that.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 10:48 PM

Talking

Quote:
Rockin' Out

New Hollywood headquarters resembles its audio prodcuts

Courtesy Shimoda Design
The new Ametron headquarters in Hollywood is designed to resemble a collection of mics and radios.

Sam Lubell

It doesn’t get much more Hollywood than this: LA architect Joey Shimoda is designing the new headquarters for Ametron Electronics, a major supplier of production equipment for the film industry. In a real feat of stagecraft, Shimoda said the 20-story, 218,000 square-foot building takes the inspiration for its form is Ametron owner Fred Rosenthal’s collection of sleek vintage microphones and radios.

The tower, located in the heart of Hollywood, will be made up of several varied components to provide a variety of uses and to break down the mass. “We didn’t want a boring rectangle,” Shimoda said. “We wanted to create a building that has personality and will be remembered for its shape. We were also interested in creating a something that is not a billboard backdrop,” an all too common problem in Hollywood.

Courtesy Shimoda Design
A complex of structural systems holds up the various buildings.

The building will consist of office space and a small Radio and Microphone Museum on the ground floor, parking on the next seven floors, and offices above. The office portion will be clad with a diagonally-braced steel or concrete exterior structure above and a more conventional glass and aluminum curtain wall below. The parking structure will be clad with flat slab concrete with intricate skin treatments.

Shimoda stressed building a humane connection between the building and the street; a rarity in jumbled Hollywood. The project will include a small water moat at the property line with bridges into the storefronts, canopies on both street frontages, and lush street trees and planter buffers. The lobby will include a reflecting pool.

Completion is planned for 2016. The project manager will be Anne Gray, publisher of Balcony Press and Form Magazine, who once worked as facilities director at Paramount Studios.
Source: http://archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=4526

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 4:27 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Certainly very interesting. It manages to somehow look like 3 buildings in 1. But with the proximity to the Red Line stop just a block and a half away, I'd like to see less parking.

But I'll take it!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 6:08 AM
Heavy User

very nice! loving the x-bracing.

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 2:28 PM

I'll take anything at this point. That's how bad things have been.

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 2:31 PM

Exactly where is this to be built?

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinSoCal View Post
The first rendering shows a large address sign on the building -- "1546 N. Argyle", which I think is catawampus southeast of the W.

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 3:25 PM
Ascension

Catawampus?

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 4:39 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ I think "Catawampus", in this case, means the SE corner of Argyle & Selma. Which is kitty corner from the W complex.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 5:11 PM

Clever design. The radio and microphone themes are subtle enough that I woulda never discovered them on my own. And I agree with SD Phil, the x-bracing looks terrific.

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 5:31 PM
Ascension

In some ways, it reminds me a bit of the Heron Tower going up in London.

wjfox2004

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinSoCal View Post
Based on the renderings and the buildings it shows in the backround, i'd say it'd be right here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.011319&z=17

This appears to be the location of an existing Ametron Audio store.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 7:02 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That is correct. Like I said before, the SE corner of Argyle and Selma.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 8:47 AM
BANNED

it looks like heron tower for the fact that it's flanked by much shorter buildings and it has an antenna. that's where similarities end. this hollywood proposal is much less graceful, and like many self-conscious buildings in la and other big 3rd world cities it aspires to significance by mimicry (eg see hearst building), the way mitsubishi mirage aspires to the c class.

an going on an even further tangent, i'll say that la is the wal-mart of big cities. a cheap but failed rendition of something prettier, more refined, or more sophisticated. la is not a city of great or even good architecture. in fact, la still struggles to find a singularity of place or purpose from which architectural identity can grow and be reinterpreted over time.

rather than being modern, la builds to look modern. rather than being urban, la builds to look like what "urban" represents in any prevailing concept of what "urban" signifies in pop culture at that moment. la always builds to resemble, yet it never actually is. many of its residents act the same way. in the sense that, culturally speaking, it rarely upsets the commonplace or challenges the status quo, la is one of the most predictable and stereotypical cities in the world. in the sense that it sells to the world a culture so stereotypical as to be offensive, la is unique.

Last edited by edluva; May 19, 2010 at 9:24 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 3:35 PM
Ascension

Are you a virgin?

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 7:14 PM

hahaha

Seriously man, you got some hate in your heart.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 8:22 PM
BANNED

I have to admit I like it. A wonderful denial of the myth of the monolith which has dominated large scale architecture for centuries. An acknowledgement that 3 or 4 smaller buildings is more organic and humane than the attempt to overwhelm with mass and height.

And the reference back to relevant technology gives it wit and a sense of time and place. Could be on a par with Capitol Records if executed properly.

Just about 3 blocks away from the proposed Mayne college building. Some hope for this being an area of serious architecture yet without loss of scale.

Last edited by pesto; May 19, 2010 at 8:23 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
it looks like heron tower for the fact that it's flanked by much shorter buildings and it has an antenna. that's where similarities end. this hollywood proposal is much less graceful, and like many self-conscious buildings in la and other big 3rd world cities it aspires to significance by mimicry (eg see hearst building), the way mitsubishi mirage aspires to the c class.

an going on an even further tangent, i'll say that la is the wal-mart of big cities. a cheap but failed rendition of something prettier, more refined, or more sophisticated. la is not a city of great or even good architecture. in fact, la still struggles to find a singularity of place or purpose from which architectural identity can grow and be reinterpreted over time.

rather than being modern, la builds to look modern. rather than being urban, la builds to look like what "urban" represents in any prevailing concept of what "urban" signifies in pop culture at that moment. la always builds to resemble, yet it never actually is. many of its residents act the same way. in the sense that, culturally speaking, it rarely upsets the commonplace or challenges the status quo, la is one of the most predictable and stereotypical cities in the world. in the sense that it sells to the world a culture so stereotypical as to be offensive, la is unique.
You do realize that it's people who are building these things, and not the city of LA right? LA doesn't do shit. It's a city. How can you say that LA produces anything when many architects and planners aren't even LA firms or LA residents?

and WHY are you living in LA? Get the f*ck out of here.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 12:34 AM

LA will find "true urbanism" when it actually becomes a true urban area, which is contingent upon developing a well-used (by middle-class people) mass transit network that implies a lifestyle where a substantial central location of LA (West Central) is walkable and people go about their daily lives hopping on the tube and walking to their jobs, shopping, entertainment, etc. It means tourists coming to LA and asking for directions from an Angeleno and getting responses back in "subway miles" instead of "driving miles." This scenario also implies that we have reached a tipping point enough to lose the strict (archaic and backward) parking requirements that take away from the many buildings their potentially more elegant designs. Building parking and fulfilling the city's ridiculous ratios is extremely expensive and eats away at the developer's budget, which usually means a more inferior design (although I don't think this new Hollywood Amertron building is necessarily that bad compared to most other projects in the city). Also, more concrete and steel are needed in a building in LA for stringent seismic standards than NY or Chicago. Add the total cost up and you get a generally more inferior design. Then add on top of that, a lack of urban context to invoke, and you get most of the uninspired stuff you see in LA.

Once you have a fully functional rail system, where Wilshire Blvd. is connected as well as the Pink Line, etc., then true urban design will follow accordingly. Instead of focusing on parking structures, attention will be funneled toward the front facing the sidewalks. Of course our buildings are usually "lip service" because buildings are designed by a "driver's perspective" and NOT a pedestrian's perspective."

The most important thing LA can do is to make the city more liveable. Most people hardly look above their heads when they walk on the streets. People will automatically like LA when it feels naturally good to walk on the streets.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 4:59 PM
International

More quality infill, like this piece I found in Hollywood, is what the city needs more of! Quality materials, appealing aesthetics, parking out of sight, etc. More of this, please!

http://devanwells.blogspot.com/2010/...eks-or-so.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations