HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
if they choose suburban DC over just about any of the other more urban options here in downtown or in chicago/philly/boston or wherever, it's just going to be a huge womp womp womp. i mean super sad trombone, lol. (not even just for us but for all of the future amazon hq2 employees and possible spinoffs that could come with in locating in an urban district ripe for redevelopment)

i went to DC a few years ago and purposefully rode the metro to a few of the edge cities just to walk around and witness how they function - rossalyn, clarendon, arlington. something about DC's edge cities was and still is fascinating to me - as examples of how well done an edge city could possibly be. i know i'm a weirdo - i want to visit brasilia for the same reason - just to gawk. it was like an urbanish, dense version of an office park with a bit of street retail and restaurants; high level of built density but felt completely soulless. maybe i hit the wrong ones but they felt like 9-5 places.
So like Smyrna/Vinings and parts of Buckhead?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:53 AM
BANNED

Maryland HQ2 Site - White Flint Mall

Does this look like an "Advanced Urban Setting" the HQ2 Site Selection Team said is their preference?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
This is just an observation...

There are now 5 proposed office building in Midtown, stretching from 3rd street to 17th street, and totaling more than 2.3 million square feet of speculative space.

1) 17th & W. Peachtree (MetLife) - 25 stories
2) 14th & Peachtree (Selig) - 51 stories
3) 12th & W. Peachtree (Selig) - 36 stories
4) 8th & W. Peachtree (Cousins) - 31 stories
5) 3rd & W. Peachtree (Portsman) - 23 stories (formerly planned as apartments)
All of these proposals have gone 'dark' and are damn near on page 2 of the Atlanta page, which speaks volumes on the lack of dirt being turned on each of these sites.
But we keep talking about Opus, which is obviously a hole to China.

So, why is there a resurgence in speculative office proposals in Midtown?
Do the developers know something we forumers don't?
Or, are they just blindly proposing sh*t that will never get built?
Or, are they positioning the development of their proposals to hit the market when the demand is highest?
And, why haven't we heard any "shovel-ready" movement on any of these proposals?
Are these developers waiting on some BIG announcement before they break ground?

I've never seen such interest in speculative office building in Midtown. If this were Buckhead during the late 2000's, I could understand since Buckhead was the only place outside of Atlantic Station building office towers within the city limits. And, of course, those towers in Atlantic Station were not speculative.

Any thoughts on what's holding these development from breaking ground.
Read this:
http://www.costar.com/News/Article/H...-Follow/203463

Here is my take:

Bisnow has reported there is 4 Million sqft Pipeline of office demand looking at Midtown currently. Who knows if any of this pipeline is tied to HQ2. With that said, I think local developers are positioning their proposals at this pipeline.

Additionally if Atlanta lands HQ2, you will see a rush of capital flow into Atlanta to drive office, hotel, apartment and condo development and local developers are marketing their Midtown projects to the capital markets, as well as, corporate users anticipating this Halo effect. A lot of this capital will fund speculative office developments and that is why you are also seeing so many projects announced.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic View Post
So like Smyrna/Vinings and parts of Buckhead?

they felt like a larger multi-block version of perhaps just the galleria complex itself (the one with travelport and racetrac signage) - specifically in the uniformity in architecture and streets.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:43 PM

Does anyone know if Jeff B will be attending the Super Bowl?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
Does anyone know if Jeff B will be attending the Super Bowl?
This is ATLANTA! Everybody and their mama will be here - weather permitting.

Atlanta will be packed to the gills: streets clogged, sidewalks jammed and every dwelling in the metro will have visitors and quests sleeping on inflatable mattresses.
People love to party in the A. Remember the NBA All-star game in 2004?
The Superbowl will be 10 times more congested, because fans who can't afford to fly (but live within a 4-6 hour drive of the city) will descend on the city like a Freaknik party if the weather is in the 60s. The ATL needs to brace for an onslaught of people in the streets!!

Besides, who in America doesn't know somebody who resides in the A? Remember this is the undisputed Black Mecca and they will come in droves. I'm already getting multiple requests from friends to crash at my house, but I'm seriously thinking about going the Airbnb route since I live literally 2 miles south of Mercedes Benz stadium in Adair Park. $$$

Last edited by ATLMidcity; Aug 15, 2018 at 5:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:44 PM
Closed account

So about that Economic Developmrnt job opening in Washington D.C. (this I didn't know)...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...e0K/story.html

Quote:
Take an advertisement the company posted last month seeking candidates for an economic development position in Washington, D.C. The notice sparked a round of news stories suggesting it meant the nation’s capital — already considered a front-runner for the so-called HQ2 — would indeed be chosen as the site of Amazon’s massive expansion project. Never mind that Amazon already has an economic development team — including the executive in charge of the HQ2 search — based in Washington, and may just be adding to its staff.
Then there's this, which I tend to think is BS...

Quote:
Or the persistent rumor — most recently given life by a story this month in the New York Times — that the public release of a shorter short list of finalist cities for the project is imminent. It is not, an Amazon spokesman says.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
So about that Economic Developmrnt job opening in Washington D.C. (this I didn't know)...

They better throw us (America) a damn bone here soon.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post

This is ATLANTA! Everybody and their mama will be here - weather permitting.

Atlanta will be packed to the gills: streets clogged, sidewalks jammed and every dwelling in the metro will have visitors and quests sleeping on inflatable mattresses.
People love to party in the A. Remember the NBA All-star game in 2004?
The Superbowl will be 10 times more congested, because fans who can't afford to fly (but live within a 4-6 hour drive of the city) will descend on the city like a Freaknik party if the weather is in the 60s. The ATL needs to brace for an onslaught of people in the streets!!

Besides, who in America doesn't know somebody who resides in the A? Remember this is the undisputed Black Mecca and they will come in droves. I'm already getting multiple requests from friends to crash at my house, but I'm seriously thinking about going the Airbnb route since I live literally 2 miles south of Mercedes Benz stadium in Adair Park. $$$
The question was only asked in relationship too if we get HQ2 and if Jeff B has tickets already. I will hold my thoughts on Black Mecca, since this is an Amazon thread.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
Or the persistent rumor — most recently given life by a story this month in the New York Times — that the public release of a shorter short list of finalist cities for the project is imminent. It is not, an Amazon spokesman says.
There is another way(s) to read this quote:
  • There will NOT be a shorter list
  • There will be a shorter list, but it is not imminent
  • Amazon's HQ2 city winner is imminent
  • Amazon's HQ2 city winner is NOT imminent

OK - this is quickly turning into your standard C.C.O.B. (Classic Case of Bull Shit)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:43 PM

Where is Atlanta?

Interesting that this article doesn't mention Atlanta not even on 2nd tier of cities.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Interesting that this article doesn't mention Atlanta not even on 2nd tier of cities.
It mentions Georgia...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

They never acknowledged us when every article had us the number 1 pick. Then North looks down on the South. This is a nothingburger story.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
They never acknowledged us when every article had us the number 1 pick. Then North looks down on the South. This is a nothingburger story.
Agreed...especially Boston. Many people from Boston hate Atlanta.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Agreed...especially Boston. Many people from Boston hate Atlanta.
But they keep moving here anyway lol.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:47 PM
Closed account

Here's yet another HQ2 analysis from CNBC.

Although the 2 Texas finalists came out on top, Atlanta was right behind them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/as-a...ng-strong.html

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Here's yet another HQ2 analysis from CNBC.

Although the 2 Texas finalists came out on top, Atlanta was right behind them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/as-a...ng-strong.html
What a BULLSHIT article. They fail to mention that ATL is the world's busiest, but mention DFW as 4th busiest. Texas is a terrible choice, besides they are central time. Also ATL is 2 hours flight from 80 percent of the US population....

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Texas is a terrible choice, besides they are central time.
Is the time zone really that big a deal?

Besides, if Amazon requested their own time zone as an "incentive," they'd probably get it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:19 PM

What's the height restriction for Amazon (not that they probably can't get an exception approved) for building in the Gulch vs say Midtown?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
What a BULLSHIT article. They fail to mention that ATL is the world's busiest, but mention DFW as 4th busiest. Texas is a terrible choice, besides they are central time. Also ATL is 2 hours flight from 80 percent of the US population....

Those grades are atrocious. A random generator could have done better than that.

Pittsburgh PA population - 300k = A+
New York City population - 8.6M = A+

Columbus OH location - B+
Atlanta GA location - C+

Laughable

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta