HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:46 PM

Agreed on defense. Hopefully Poolman will turn out to be the real deal. I liked Morrow last year as well.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by factis View Post
I feel like we have a bigger rivalry now with Vegas than we do with any of the central div teams. On the topic of armia, did we lose him for nothing? I’m pretty sure we needed that cap space regardless of whether or not we signed Stastny.
I still think our biggest rivalry at this point is Nashville. The teams are pretty much even competitive-wise and I think the rivalry is reciprocal in which we don't like them and their fans don't like the Jets whereas I don't think the Vegas fans dislike Winnipeg. I know some people here consider the Leafs as a rival but that is largely due to the dislike that many Canadians have toward Toronto as the 'Center of the Universe' but I would not think Leaf fans share the feelings of a rivalry towards the Jets.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Not to rain on the Stanley Cup parade, but Roslovic is second year guy and hasn't played near a full season. I like him, but the jury is out. Little has been on the decline. Lowry and Copp are 3rd, 4th liners. There is a reason they wanted Statsny. I don't think it's all doom and gloom but they need a good second line centre.
His name is Jack Roslovic. Trust me
I am never wrong when it comes to the Jets. 2C by February 2019.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Agreed on defense. Hopefully Poolman will turn out to be the real deal. I liked Morrow last year as well.
As I said last year at this time. Poolman will become a reliable third pairing defenseman.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
His name is Jack Roslovic. Trust me
I am never wrong when it comes to the Jets. 2C by February 2019.
I'm going to call BS because I am the only true Hockey Encyclopedia.

You are right in this scenario though, Roslovic is like a taller version on Ehlers that plays Centre. He's fast, shifty and can skate full circles in the offensive zone. PoMo hates putting players in a position to succeed so Roslovic will probably be stuck on the wing with Copp and Perrault until PoMo is forced to try him at centre.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
As I said last year at this time. Poolman will become a reliable third pairing defenseman.
A starfish could have predicted that.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:58 PM
BANNED

DefenCe

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 7:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
A starfish could have predicted that.

Posts from 2017 comparing Poolman to Morrissey:

Quote:
Poolman looked fantastic – definitely the most NHL ready of all the young guys. He could be this season's Morrissey in terms of breakout star. Scheifele and Perrault also looked great..
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post

Replace Enstrom with Poolman, keep Buff as a second tier defensemen so he is not so pressured, keep everyone else healthy and we have a solid team.

---

Now he (Poolman) wasn't drafted at the same spot as Morrisey, but he has gone through some major changes and improvements in his game since 2013. He definitely needs to step up, because he only has one year to do it, with his contract being up next year as well. But since being drafted he has really grown, and I can see him being the number 2 left side d under Morrisey. He might eventually be a last pairing D, because Stanley is also a beast, and is hu-ugeee (Also left side D)!

Last edited by Jets4Life; Jul 14, 2018 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:52 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Laurent Brossoit is a 2016 AHL all-star. And he signed for the league minimum.

The 25-year-old has 28 games of NHL experience, with his best numbers coming in Edmonton in 2016-17. That season, he played eight games, posting a 0.928 save percentage and a 1.99 goals against average.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/brosso...eg/c-299380894
He also trains with Hellebuyck in the off-season.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 4:07 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
He also trains with Hellebuyck in the off-season.
Sorry, I don't have much faith in this signing. I think we're going to end up in another Hutchinson situation. I would have preferred they sign a veteran goaltender who can pick up games when they need to rest Helle. It was clear by the time they played Vegas, Helle had run out of gas and was not as sharp as he had been in previous series. That's why they need someone who can pick up those games. Helle played way too much last season and hit the wall by the time they faced Vegas.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 3:30 PM

I'll hold off on my opinion abuot the goaltending signing until after all the RFA's are signed. Hopefully Chevy gets the Laine extension done this summer too.

It seems like they're going to be $1-2 million under the cap. So signing a vet for $2M would not have worked. They need space for injuries and trade deadline signings.

But agreed about the goaltending. The purpose last year in signing Mason was to have 2 capable goaltenders. Obviously Mason didn't work out as he was concussed all season. Hellebuycks needs someone to take games during the regular season so he is 100% ready to go the distance in the playoffs.

On the Jets loss to Vegas, it was MA Fleury who stole the series. Jets had their chances to score at key times. The difference between Nashville and Vegas is Fleury made the stops, and Rinne got pulled. I firmly believe if a coupe of those goals went in against Fleury, Jets would've made the finals. In the finals, Fleury was clearly not the same. Tired and he had some type of injury sustained during the Jets series that he made work. As time went on, it wore him out.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 5:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'll hold off on my opinion abuot the goaltending signing until after all the RFA's are signed. Hopefully Chevy gets the Laine extension done this summer too.

It seems like they're going to be $1-2 million under the cap. So signing a vet for $2M would not have worked. They need space for injuries and trade deadline signings.

But agreed about the goaltending. The purpose last year in signing Mason was to have 2 capable goaltenders. Obviously Mason didn't work out as he was concussed all season. Hellebuycks needs someone to take games during the regular season so he is 100% ready to go the distance in the playoffs.

On the Jets loss to Vegas, it was MA Fleury who stole the series. Jets had their chances to score at key times. The difference between Nashville and Vegas is Fleury made the stops, and Rinne got pulled. I firmly believe if a coupe of those goals went in against Fleury, Jets would've made the finals. In the finals, Fleury was clearly not the same. Tired and he had some type of injury sustained during the Jets series that he made work. As time went on, it wore him out.

I hate Vegas with a passion and I am glad the Caps beat them. Classless organization.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:22 PM

Does anyone else think the Helley signing is a bit steep for a goalie with one good year under his belt? I was thinking more in the 5-5.5 range and for a shorter term. What if that was a one off year?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Does anyone else think the Helley signing is a bit steep for a goalie with one good year under his belt? I was thinking more in the 5-5.5 range and for a shorter term. What if that was a one off year?
Not at all. I expected 5.6–5.8, so not far off. Even he showed 2 years ago he could be that guy, but just wasn't put in a great situation. His advanced stats are off the charts, and by all expert accounts he looks like he's poised to be a top-5 goalie for years. Goalie contracts are a different beast, you don't want to rattle them by showing you don't have full confidence, as many teams have done before.

Price, Ludnqvist, Bobrovsky, Rask, Rinne are all making $7m+ and 7 other goalies are making 5.75–6.1.

This is a great contract to me. Especially at 6 years, as the salary cap (and average goalie salary) is likely to go up a good chunk in the next few years. He's clearly in the top-15 at minimum, so by pricing him right in the middle and him taking the offer, you avoid arbitration. I think if they went to arbitration he could have easily gotten closer to $7m.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
I hate Vegas with a passion and I am glad the Caps beat them. Classless organization.
What's classless about Vegas? George McPhee has far and away proven he's already a HOF GM, and they guy's still young. He may already be one of the best GMs all time, in any sport.

I always hear people complaining how Vegas got it too easy in the expansion draft and don't "deserve" to be this good. Those people obviously don't pay attention much as most of Vegas' biggest stars, and difference makers all year and postseason, actually came over in deals and trades McPhee made with GMs. Any other team could have done it, but would be too scared because of emotional reasons. Vegas' players had never been together, so McPhee didn't have to show allegiance to anyone, as fans didn't know them either yet. They absolutely pillaged Florida for all they were worth.

He was brilliant in keeping almost all the deals he was planning behind closed doors. Had more GMs been aware of a lot of the deals in place, they may not have made some of them out of the fear of creating a monster team. It happened. McPhee deserves a medal.

Oh, let's also not forget he built the cup-winning Capitals team.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Not at all. I expected 5.6–5.8, so not far off. Even he showed 2 years ago he could be that guy, but just wasn't put in a great situation. His advanced stats are off the charts, and by all expert accounts he looks like he's poised to be a top-5 goalie for years. Goalie contracts are a different beast, you don't want to rattle them by showing you don't have full confidence, as many teams have done before.

Price, Ludnqvist, Bobrovsky, Rask, Rinne are all making $7m+ and 7 other goalies are making 5.75–6.1.

This is a great contract to me. Especially at 6 years, as the salary cap (and average goalie salary) is likely to go up a good chunk in the next few years. He's clearly in the top-15 at minimum, so by pricing him right in the middle and him taking the offer, you avoid arbitration. I think if they went to arbitration he could have easily gotten closer to $7m.
This makes a lot of sense, especially with a new US Broadcast deal coming in the next couple years. We could see an explosion in the coming years. You may have convinced me.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:45 PM

I think the Hellebuyck contract is great. As expected IMO. Contract will take him until age 31, which is about right. We'll see how his play is at that time and what contract is deserved.

Also, makes that Scheifele contract look even better!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I think the Hellebuyck contract is great. As expected IMO. Contract will take him until age 31, which is about right. We'll see how his play is at that time and what contract is deserved.

Also, makes that Scheifele contract look even better!
Was reading an article on TSN this morning on how Scheifele might be the best contract in hockey. His and Kucherov's career trajectory are strikingly similar (both drafted in 2011, but Kuche was 58th overall), yet Kucherov is getting paid 50% more ($9.5m AAV) and was given an $11m signing bonus.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 9:17 AM
BANNED

Winnipeg Jets signed Kristian Vesalainen to a three tear Entry Level contract. Vesalainen should be the top draw for the Manitoba Moose, as he had a breakout season, in the Finnish League at 18 years of age. The Moose will be in relatively good shape, as players like Lemieux, Petan, Poolman, Niku Appleton, Spacek, and Comrie continue to try and eventually make the Jets roster.

Hutchinson will be a significant loss, as Comrie has yet to show the hockey world that he is more than a career AHLer. Other players who may make a difference include Lipon, Harkins, Stanley, Green, Melchiori, Bourque, McKenzie, and Nogier.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Winnipeg Jets signed Kristian Vesalainen to a three tear Entry Level contract. Vesalainen should be the top draw for the Manitoba Moose, as he had a breakout season, in the Finnish League at 18 years of age. The Moose will be in relatively good shape, as players like Lemieux, Petan, Poolman, Niku Appleton, Spacek, and Comrie continue to try and eventually make the Jets roster.

Hutchinson will be a significant loss, as Comrie has yet to show the hockey world that he is more than a career AHLer. Other players who may make a difference include Lipon, Harkins, Stanley, Green, Melchiori, Bourque, McKenzie, and Nogier.
Is he eligible to play for the moose or would he either have to play in Junior or go back to Europe? I think he's too young to play in the AHL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan