HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1041  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:14 AM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,573
I cant believe we have a 1000+ post thread about grocery stores..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1042  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:15 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 31,378
overwaitea seems to be in the smaller towns - like where i grew up we had one

now he has started a 3rd chain called Price Smart Foods - to wipe out the union at save-on apparently (he had closed some down and they reopened as Price Smart) and to take on Superstore a little more - lower wages means lower prices to the customers

they look just like save ons



__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1043  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 1:02 PM
BlackRedGold BlackRedGold is offline
Progressive Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa / Elsewhere
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
As for Superstore in the East, I was in Ottawa (Kanata) a couple of weeks ago and there was a new Superstore identical to the ones in the West as well as a Loblaw's. However, by the end of my stay, I went to Sobey's.
Should have gone to Farm Boy and Loeb instead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1044  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 1:06 PM
BlackRedGold BlackRedGold is offline
Progressive Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa / Elsewhere
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Just IGA's in BC. The remainder (except for a small few) were re-branded to Sobey's a couple years ago.
IGA's in BC, unlike the rest of Canada, are not owned or operated by Sobey's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1045  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 1:08 PM
BlackRedGold BlackRedGold is offline
Progressive Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa / Elsewhere
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
now he has started a 3rd chain called Price Smart Foods - to wipe out the union at save-on apparently (he had closed some down and they reopened as Price Smart) and to take on Superstore a little more - lower wages means lower prices to the customers
Actually lower wages means higher profits to the corporation. Prices are based upon customer demand and supply and are not dependent upon employee wages.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1046  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 1:53 PM
neilson neilson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
Actually lower wages means higher profits to the corporation. Prices are based upon customer demand and supply and are not dependent upon employee wages.
Yeah but Unions don't help either. Look at GM, a Union company if there ever was one. Thanks to decades of Union power, when you buy a GM car today there's a certain cost to that car that accounts just for the healthcare given to an employee when the numbers are crunched. I can understand why companies like Wal-Mart are anti-Union. They don't want to see themselves end up withering away on the vine like GM has been. Unions kill companies, and really there's no need for Unions nowadays because there's so much government regulation from workplace safety to benefits and pay that Unions in their current form in North America simply exist to give more power to those at the top. I for one am ready for the day when those like Buzz Hargrove get off their high horse and quit using their Unions to run good companies into the ground thanks to the Union's unrealistic demands.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1047  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:52 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Tropic of Sir Galahad
Posts: 31,374
^has nothing at all to do with crummy vehicles, and/or building unwanted models, eh?
__________________
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbraith
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere.Elie Wiesel
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1048  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:59 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Tropic of Sir Galahad
Posts: 31,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller Better View Post
"Overwaitea" always struck me as the strangest name for a food store. Buy too much junk food and you will become overwaitea.

Yeah. I know that it stands for Overweight Tea, but it makes me think of:



And..

__________________
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbraith
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere.Elie Wiesel
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1049  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 4:17 PM
CharlesMunroe's Avatar
CharlesMunroe CharlesMunroe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oshawa
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Yeah but Unions don't help either. Look at GM, a Union company if there ever was one. Thanks to decades of Union power, when you buy a GM car today there's a certain cost to that car that accounts just for the healthcare given to an employee when the numbers are crunched. I can understand why companies like Wal-Mart are anti-Union. They don't want to see themselves end up withering away on the vine like GM has been. Unions kill companies, and really there's no need for Unions nowadays because there's so much government regulation from workplace safety to benefits and pay that Unions in their current form in North America simply exist to give more power to those at the top. I for one am ready for the day when those like Buzz Hargrove get off their high horse and quit using their Unions to run good companies into the ground thanks to the Union's unrealistic demands.

Yes, damn that evil autoworker union that brought decent working conditions, decent wages, decent healthcare, decent standard of living to North America.

Quote:
Thanks to decades of Union power, when you buy a GM car today there's a certain cost to that car that accounts just for the healthcare given to an employee when the numbers are crunched.
Well most of that is thanks to the shitty US healthcare system. Thats one of the main reasons GM, Ford and Chrysler loves doing business in Canada. We've got great healthcare in Canada and it saves companies billions.

Most of these healthcare costs are retired employees, something the Japanese manufacturers here dont really have. Maybe in 20 years the tables be more balanced there.

Are you really suggesting that the hundreds of thousands of autoworkes over the years, who have been able to raise middle class families with comfortable lives, should have been reduced to the working poor? That they should not been giving healthcare?

Quote:
I can understand why companies like Wal-Mart are anti-Union. They don't want to see themselves end up withering away on the vine like GM has been.
My first clue Wal Mart is anti union is everything they sell is made in China. Should GM shut down their North American plants and move to China?

Quote:
Unions kill companies, and really there's no need for Unions nowadays because there's so much government regulation from workplace safety to benefits and pay that Unions in their current form in North America simply exist to give more power to those at the top.
I agree unions are big business but what you speak is ridiculous. Judging by the endless parde of lawsuits being filed against WalMart by ex-employees, it doesnt look like government regulations are helping them poor saps much.

Corporations cannot be trusted and government cannot be trusted.

Quote:
I for one am ready for the day when those like Buzz Hargrove get off their high horse and quit using their Unions to run good companies into the ground thanks to the Union's unrealistic demands
Well the autoworkers union here in Oshawa has worked very closely with GM and in the last several years the union have made numerous concessions. The workforce here is almost half of what it use to be. No job security here. Yet they're producing more vehicles then ever. GM's complex here is their biggest and by far their most profitable. The plants win awards every year for being the most efficient auto plants and the workers here take great pride in that. I can guarantee that there would be no pride, no awards, no efficiency if these guys were getting $12/hour and crap benefits.

But as it is, some of these guys make over $100 000 year with overtime and they provide a very comfortable standard of living to their families. I'm sure all this disposable income is better for the overall economy rather then your minimum wage proposal.

GM seems quite happy here they are now in the midst of a $2.5 billion upgrade and expansion here.



I notice you are against decent wages.
I notice you are against healthcare.
I notice you think WalMart great.
I notice you are from Alabama.
So I have to ask.
Did your great old grand pappy own a cotton field or two in his day?
Your right, you cant compete against slavery.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1050  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 4:40 PM
neilson neilson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 2,621
Wal-Mart has Unions in China. Read up on the ACFTU; http://www.acftu.org.cn/about.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Chi...f_Trade_Unions

I wouldn't complain if we saw Unions mimic the ACFTU model.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1051  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:14 PM
Bassic Lab Bassic Lab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Wal-Mart has Unions in China. Read up on the ACFTU; http://www.acftu.org.cn/about.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Chi...f_Trade_Unions

I wouldn't complain if we saw Unions mimic the ACFTU model.
What exactly does that model entail, beyond being stooges for an undemocratic and totalitarian state apparatus of course.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1052  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:47 PM
neilson neilson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassic Lab View Post
What exactly does that model entail, beyond being stooges for an undemocratic and totalitarian state apparatus of course.
The ACFTU wouldn't be the world's largest Union if it were bad to its workers. Foreign companies wouldn't embrace the ACFTU if it were bad.

Maybe someday we'll see the likes of the UAW and CAW become like the ACFTU. It's a Union that works, and clearly in this current battle, companies like the Chinese Union that's bigger and has more members then the North American and European Unions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1053  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:02 PM
BlackRedGold BlackRedGold is offline
Progressive Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa / Elsewhere
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
The ACFTU wouldn't be the world's largest Union if it were bad to its workers. Foreign companies wouldn't embrace the ACFTU if it were bad.

Maybe someday we'll see the likes of the UAW and CAW become like the ACFTU. It's a Union that works, and clearly in this current battle, companies like the Chinese Union that's bigger and has more members then the North American and European Unions.
You did read the Wikipedia article that stated that it's the only union in China and that members of real unions were executed when the ACFTU was started up?

Do you really think that corporations embracing a union makes a union look legitimate?

Or maybe I missed the totally sarcastic tone of your post.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1054  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:09 PM
neilson neilson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
You did read the Wikipedia article that stated that it's the only union in China and that members of real unions were executed when the ACFTU was started up?

Do you really think that corporations embracing a union makes a union look legitimate?

Or maybe I missed the totally sarcastic tone of your post.
Ideally I'd rather have no Unions, but if I'm forced to have one then I'd rather take the ACFTU over the Unions in the USA and Canada that have helped to destroy time-honored industries. Even the Unions in Mexico(while not as favorable as the ACFTU) are doing a better job for their employees.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1055  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:46 PM
BlackRedGold BlackRedGold is offline
Progressive Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa / Elsewhere
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
I'd rather take the ACFTU over the Unions in the USA and Canada that have helped to destroy time-honored industries.
What time-honored (sp) industries have been destroyed by unions?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1056  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 8:10 PM
neilson neilson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
What time-honored (sp) industries have been destroyed by unions?
Just look at the Midwest/Northeast/"Rust Belt" cities.

I rest my case. Those that don't reinvent themselves will continue to lose population. The Detroit's, Flint's, Akron's, Youngstown's, Buffalo's, Springfield's(MA), and so on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1057  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 9:26 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 31,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
Actually lower wages means higher profits to the corporation. Prices are based upon customer demand and supply and are not dependent upon employee wages.
yeah - but thats the companies spin on things - lower "expenses" at their end mean better prices to their customers
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1058  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 9:47 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Neilson, as a Christian, do you think Jesus would support unions or support your argument?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1059  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 11:53 PM
LordMandeep LordMandeep is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,372
don't tell me your using the what would Jesus do excuse...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1060  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 12:01 AM
BlackRedGold BlackRedGold is offline
Progressive Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa / Elsewhere
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Just look at the Midwest/Northeast/"Rust Belt" cities.

I rest my case. Those that don't reinvent themselves will continue to lose population. The Detroit's, Flint's, Akron's, Youngstown's, Buffalo's, Springfield's(MA), and so on.
I didn't ask for cities, I asked for industries.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:42 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.