HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 3:24 AM

Here is how to fix K street mall:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Seriously, it looks like shit, if I wanted to open up a business the last place I'd do it is on the K street mall. The city is going to have to dump a shit load of money fixing that place up before businesses will come back.

Btw, the "improvements" they are making to that park across to the street from the mall still look like shit. They need to remove those trees (all of them) and put some lighting in there. They should of put a fountain or something in the middle too.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 3:13 PM
West bench livin'

OMG!!!

Did Majin just advocate removing trees????? In Sactown?????

I'm in complete agreement with you Majin. It feels like a whole bunch of wasted energy and dollars on one little tiny space that doesn't address the real problems of K Street. And even with all the money they're spending on St. Rose Park, it still smells... I say we go back to my original proposal for K Street: convince the local Air Guard to 'accidently' strafe the entire corridor from the Freeway to the BanRollOn Building and raze it to the ground...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 5:36 PM
Ugliest Lamps on Earth!

Mayor Johnson Holds Meeting On K Street Facelift

Mike Dello Stritto SACRAMENTO (CBS13)
Mayor Kevin Johnson
CBS

"How do we revitalize it and help it reach its potential?" asked Mayor Kevin Johnson.

That's the multi-million dollar question. Already, millions have been poured into the K Street corridor. But, you wouldn't know it by counting the empty storefronts.

"How many of you think there should be cars on K Street – raise your hand," said Mayor Kevin Johnson at a meeting held on Monday.

Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson led an event engaging the public about the K Street blight.

There is a plan to rebrand K Street; a vision for a regional destination, a hub for housing, retail, and entertainment, but there is one big main concern – safety.

"I am actually concerned about coming here after dark. It's a little scary," says Kelly Schultz.

There were 71 assaults and robberies in downtown in the past three months, and whether the feeling of fear on K Street is real or just perceived, it's a problem.

As businesses invest in opening on K Street, only to fail and close, it's a harder sell saying this is Sacramento's next hotspot.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 6:24 AM
Hindrance to Development

http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sa...l?surround=lfn
Quote:
Committee recommends D&S, Taylor for K Street plans
Sacramento Business Journal - by Michael Shaw Staff writer

Rendering Courtesy of D&S Development
D&S Development's mixed-use proposal won the recommendation of a K Street development committee, along with David S. Taylor Interests.

Two Sacramento development teams have won recommendations as preferred choices to develop large mixed-use projects on K Street. A five-member committee has been reviewing the credentials of four teams are vying to be selected to develop vacant parcels on the 700 and 800 blocks of the pedestrian-oriented street.

The decision of who wins ultimately will rest with the Sacramento City Council, which is expected to address the matter in July. The Downtown Sacramento Partnership formally approved the recommendations.

The teams that won recommendations are the Promenade on K team, which includes local firms D & S Development and CFY Development, who have proposed a $36 million project of 136 affordable units and retail shops on the 700 block of K Street.

The other selection was a group headed by prominent K Street developer David S. Taylor Interests Inc., working with CIM Group, Domus Development and Zeiden Properties, who have been recommended to develop the 800 block. Their $46 million proposal includes 120 housing units, from market-rate to mixed-income, and retail shops.

The committee cited proven track records of both teams working with adaptive reuse, historic and infill projects.

The Promenade on K team has suggested it can deliver a project by 2012 and the committee cited the team’s “realistic and simple” finance plan.

Team members told the Business Journal Wednesday that the strength of their proposal was financing, which included a commitment letter from Chase Bank for construction financing.

“We understand the time and energy the city has put into this block,” said Ali Youssefi, vice president of CFY Development. “So we’re thrilled to have an opportunity.”

Taylor’s team has a suggested delivery date of 2013 for its project.

The other teams have proposed larger projects on the two blocks. Read about all four proposals here.

The City Council is expected to review the projects July 13.

Read more: Committee recommends D&S, Taylor for K Street plans - Sacramento Business Journal
Looks like they selected the best from two groups' plans.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sa...l?surround=lfn

Looks like they selected the best from two groups' plans.
Do you have better pictures? From what I can tell it looks like shit.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 3:59 AM
Kodachrome

BOQUERIA OPEN FORUM SCHEDULED

Please join hosts Michael Tuohy, Executive Chef of Grange, and Dan Best of
Certified Farmers’ Markets in an open forum to learn more about and the
Boqueria California plans for the JKL corridor.

The event is open to the public and will be held on Monday June 28, 2010
from 5:30 – 8:30 pm The Citizen Hotel 7th floor Terrace, 926 J Street in Sacramento.

Great Cities Have Great Places. Help make Boqueria California Sacramento’s Great Place.

http://boqueriaca.com/

http://boqueriaca.com/?page_id=88

The AuthentiCity and Boqueria California Plan

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 4:24 AM

I dont understand why K St. is such a problem. Why not just model it on old Folsom?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:55 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by What is a Rivercat? View Post
I dont understand why K St. is such a problem. Why not just model it on old Folsom?
How exactly would that work?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:45 PM
legalize it-0'0" setbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
BOQUERIA OPEN FORUM SCHEDULED

Please join hosts Michael Tuohy, Executive Chef of Grange, and Dan Best of
Certified Farmers’ Markets in an open forum to learn more about and the
Boqueria California plans for the JKL corridor.

The event is open to the public and will be held on Monday June 28, 2010
from 5:30 – 8:30 pm The Citizen Hotel 7th floor Terrace, 926 J Street in Sacramento.

Great Cities Have Great Places. Help make Boqueria California Sacramento’s Great Place.

http://boqueriaca.com/

http://boqueriaca.com/?page_id=88

The AuthentiCity and Boqueria California Plan
OK, I checked out their website. Did you guys see the images of buildings by great designers like Zaha Hadid and Massimiliano Fuksas in the introductory slideshow? Those are truly iconic buildings, authentic and memorable places... So why does their proposal still look like an unmemorable vacation resort from the 1990's? I don't see the connection... any thoughts?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
How exactly would that work?
Start by opening it to cars.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 9:56 PM
Kodachrome

City Blows it on K Street – AGAIN
Artifacts forced to restore its facade to 'shitty'

Posted on July 1, 2010 – 6:24 PM | by OldManFoster
http://www.midtownmonthly.net/blog/c...-street-again/

We’ve been following this story for about a year now.

When local boutique Artifacts opened up in the old Toy Room space on K Street, we cheered. Artifacts offers art supplies, clothing, art books and assorted hipster/skateboarder knicknacks. They have also mounted some of the best art shows in the city over the past couple of years.

When the store moved into the space next door to the old Toy Room, they did a great job of remodeling that store- the best part was the sleek wood slat facade that replaced the store’s cheap and crappy ’80s storefront. While the upgrade wasn’t quite as nice as the Cosmopolitan building at 10th and K, it is the next-best upgrade K Street has seen.

So what does the city do? Makes them tear it out, of course. Turns out that the building dates to 1870, and the new facade isn’t within preservation standards. That would be fine (and in fact we’d be cheering the decision) IF any part of the original facade was left. Anyone familiar with K Street knows that the storefront that Artifacts replaced was not even from the 197os, let alone the 1870s. The damage was done LONG ago.

Did the building owners file the correct permits? No. Does that mean that a blighted strip in the most intensely screwed up region of Downtown should lose one of the most appealing storefronts? Why is it that the city could not have worked with them to make the best of a bad situation? When the city is throwing tens of millions of dollars at rehabbing K Street, why is it that they didn’t do what was clearly the best for everyone?

Money. If we were talking about a multi-million dollar business created by a large developer, the city would not only have worked with them on the permits, they’d have thrown five or ten million city dollars their way to grease the wheels.

What about the history, you say? Remember, this is the same city that happily tore down the historic Merriam at 13th and J for a poorly thought out expansion of the convention center, tore down the historic Francesca Building so that the Hyatt would have a view of the Capitol and, best of all, tore down the Gold Rush-era Ebner Building in Old Sac so that a REPLICA could be built in its place. Why a replica rather than restoring the building? Because building a replica is cheaper than restoring the real building. So much for history.

Way to go.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 3:18 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
The Facts About “Artifacts”
Posted on July 2, 2010 – 2:54 AM | by William Burg
http://www.midtownmonthly.net/blog/t...out-artifacts/

This post is in response to the earlier post about “Artifacts” on K Street: here.

I first heard about this issue last year, when I got a call from Sactown Magazine. They said the owner of Artifacts was claiming that the Sacramento County Historical Society told them they had to change their building facade, and did I have any comment? As the president of SCHS at the time, I explained that SCHS is an educational nonprofit with no connection to city government, and has no power to tell anyone to do anything to their building.

There are some obvious misunderstandings and inaccuracies at work here. First of all, the City of Sacramento’s “preservation department” consists of one person. Sometimes, during the Sac State schoolyear, she has an unpaid intern. That’s for the whole city. This means she is very, very busy. She probably knew about this, but certainly doesn’t have time to hassle a particular business owner.

But I wanted to find out what was up, so I used the city’s “Acella” permit database, accessible by the general public, here. I entered Artifact’s address. This shows any active permits, via Planning, Preservation, Zoning or other part of the Community Development Department. There was a sign permit from 2008, but no active case file, under Planning or Preservation.

Just to be on the safe side, I looked at the Preservation Department’s current list of active case files, viewable here. Nothing under Artifact’s address. Please note that there are several active permits by people who were dinged for non-compliance and are applying to make their changes legal retroactively by going through the permit process. Apparently the owner of Artifacts has not done this, or it would appear here and in Acella.

So, what department is giving Artifact such a hard time? Since the Preservation Department (all one of her) does not have an enforcement division, I checked to see if it was done by a part of the city that does go out and check things–code enforcement. That’s viewable here. Sure enough, it turns up as a code enforcement case, with the following information:

Case Details
Case #:09-006072
Address: 905 K ST
Open Date:04/01/2009
Type:Zoning
Close Date:07/01/2010
Categories: Complaint
Disposition: Work Completed
View Violation Listing

Case History
Activity Date
Hearing letter sent. 10/28/2009
Hearing letter sent. 09/14/2009
Hearing letter sent. 08/31/2009
Administrative Penalty letter sent. 08/12/2009
Online Title Report request. 07/16/2009
Notice and Order letter sent. 06/17/2009
Preliminary letter sent. 04/13/2009
Initial Complaint assigned to Officer or Inspector. 04/01/2009

It’s a code enforcement case, and has nothing to do with the Preservation Department. Someone made a complaint, probably about Artifact’s completion of work without a permit. As you can see, the issue has been resolved, as of today, and any remedial work is completed. I went by Artifact today–they were not removing the wood from their facade. For more details, I’d recommend calling the Code Enforcement Department, 808-5404, and asking for more information.

As to why…let’s think about it. Do I think Artifact’s front looks good? Yes. Do I know if the work behind that front meets city code for fire safety, life safety, electrical, etcetera? I have no idea whatsoever–and, because the owner of Artifacts didn’t bother to get permits, the city doesn’t know either. And yes, cities do have the right to issue building permits, zone, and exercise design review. (Incidentally, the entire central city is within a design review district–not just within historic districts. They needed to go to City Hall for a permit even if the building was built in 2009.)

This has nothing to do with preservation. This has nothing to do with creativity, or its suppression. It does have something to do with money. Because the previous head of Development Services (the one who is no longer the head of Development Services) was so generous with waiver of city fees and letting his buddies slide for various projects, with the full support of his old pal the City Manager (the one who is no longer Sacramento’s City Manager) the Development Services department bled money horribly, resulting in massive layoffs, ongoing scandals, and other ridiculousness like the Natomas permit-switch scandal. As a result, the department is under audit, and desperately understaffed. The new department head, and the new city manager, are of the somewhat radical opinion that Code Enforcement should enforce codes, and that business and property owners should follow the city’s regulations regarding things like building permits and paying permit fees. There’s a new sheriff in town, and that’s a good thing, unless you consider yourself above the law.
Incidentally...guess who owns that building? "Mo" Mohanna.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 1:02 AM
Kodachrome

Mayor's team chooses K Street developers
by Suzanne Hurt, published on July 8, 2010 at 3:32PM

An ad hoc committee led by Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson is backing the developers of the Citizen Hotel to redevelop the 700 and 800 blocks of K Street Mall with a huge public market as the centerpiece.

The committee, made up of four City Council members - Steve Cohn, Rob Fong, Ray Tretheway and Johnson - is recommending that the Sacramento Alliance Team led by Rubicon Partners, St. Anton Partners and Preferred Capital Advisors be given the project to revamp city-owned property on those blocks, according to a city staff report released Thursday afternoon.

The City Council is set to vote on the matter Tuesday.

Last month, a special committee set up by the city recommended two other teams to handle the redevelopment. The Downtown Sacramento Partnership endorsed those selections. Since then, intense lobbying and social media network tools have been used by teams vying for the work.

The project being recommended by the ad hoc committee would center around a 35,000-square-foot public market, tentatively called the California Boqueria, that would showcase the state's food and wine at the corner of Eighth and K streets. The team also proposed an adjacent office building for agricultural tenants such as produce associations and statewide groups. They’re proposing 213 artist live/work units and 60,000 square feet of retail on the 700 block.

The team includes Kipp Blewett and Pete Thompson of Rubicon, Grange Executive Chef Michael Tuohy, Steve Eggert and Pete Geremia of St. Anton Partners, and Dan Corfee and Craig Zarro of Preferred Capital Advisors.

Four teams presented proposals in February. A committee set up by the city had recommended D & S Development, Inc., and CFY Development, Inc., to redevelop the 700 block and a group led by Sacramento developer David Taylor and Z Gallerie owner Joe Zeiden to take on the 800 block. The fourth team was made up of Bridge Housing, Saca Development and Bagatelos Development LLC.

http://www.sacramentopress.com/headl...eet_developers

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 3:49 AM
Hindrance to Development

Here's a link to the staff report:

http://sacramento.granicus.com/Agend...21&event_id=98

I know that financial documents are less interesting to many folks than renderings, but the bottom line is this: Rubicon has to find another $100 million or so in private investment, in this real estate/financial market. They are asking for about $100 million in direct financial support by the city, including the city picking up the tab for an estimated $10 million in development fees and environmental documents. On top of that, they want the city to bankroll a $25 million parking bond (basically, the city borrows money, gives it to the developers, and pays the loan back with parking fees.)

The city only has $19 million in its downtown redevelopment fund, which means Rubicon wants to find an extra $80 million lying around somewhere in the city budget to give to them.

The city doesn't have $80 million to spend on this. A $25 million parking bond, right now, is pretty much flat-out impossible.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 8:34 AM
Closed account

Sacramento officials, developers eager to get started on K Street makeover
rlillis@sacbee.com
Published Thursday, Jul. 15, 2010

Could it be real this time?

After years of fits and failures on Sacramento's K Street, city officials are brimming with optimism after the City Council voted Tuesday night to negotiate with two developers who say they have the plans – and more importantly, the cash – to finally revamp the mall's most blighted blocks.

By a 5-4 vote, the council voted to negotiate with local developers D&S Development and David S. Taylor Interests. City officials will spend the coming months poring over the firms' finances and proposals, with the hope that the projects will be finished in about two years.

As part of a deal with the city, the developers would be given 19 downtown properties the city spent $42 million purchasing. Millions more in downtown redevelopment subsidies are also available.

So what are we getting for all of that?

If all goes as planned, by the summer of 2012 the blighted 700 and 800 blocks of K Street will be transformed into a lively stretch of restaurants, shops, a music venue and more than 250 units of housing. Most of the businesses looking to jump into the project operate popular local eateries.

"You close your eyes and take a look at what we're going to put there and the optimism is pretty great," said Councilman Kevin McCarty. "It's real."

The D&S/Taylor plan was described as more doable than past proposals for the 700 and 800 blocks of K Street, which have steadily deteriorated for the past decade even as the city succeeded in revamping blocks to the east.

Both development teams have identified their funding resources for what is a combined $82 million proposal.

In voting for the D&S/Taylor plan, a majority of the council rejected a recommendation from a four-member ad hoc committee that included Mayor Kevin Johnson. That group preferred a more ambitious project that contained a significant funding gap.

"We've been boondoggled one too many times on K Street," said Councilwoman Sandy Sheedy, explaining her vote. "If we want something done, this is the plan to get us there."

The teams behind the project were already at work Wednesday. D&S executive Bay Miry said he had met with his architects and was setting up meetings with city building officials.

"We intend for K Street to change immediately," Miry said, adding his goal is to break ground on the project by the end of the year.

Miry's firm, which developed a restaurant and residential complex at 14th and R streets, will handle renovations on the historic storefronts that line the 700 block of K Street. Miry said he has letters of interest from several local businesses to open on the block, including midtown sushi restaurant Kru, eateries Magpie Catering, Crepeville and Burgers & Brew, and coffee spot Old Soul.

Shady Lady, which runs a bar at 14th and R, wants to run a 400- to 500-person music venue on K Street. Alex Origoni, co-owner of Shady Lady, told the council the venue would attract both nationally known groups and local acts.

The council was sold on D&S's financial plan. The firm said it already has $19.5 million of the $35.5 million price tag for their project. The remainder would come from $16 million in city subsidies, $8 million of which Miry said his firm would repay.

For the neighboring 800 block, Taylor is planning to use $16 million in city redevelopment funds earmarked for him as part of his purchase of the downtown Sheraton. He said in his proposal that he has $24 million in debt and equity available and is seeking $6.2 million in additional public subsidies for his development.

At Tuesday's council meeting, Taylor described his project to build 120 housing units and 32,000 square feet of retail as "realistic." On Wednesday, he did not return several phone calls seeking comment and it was unclear if he had retail tenants for his slice of the project.

Taylor is downtown's most prolific developer; he told the council his firm has invested $440 million on five blocks of Eighth and K streets.

The council vote to go with the D&S/Taylor projects – and not the more elaborate plan by Rubicon Partners to build a year-round market and music venue – surprised some people, who thought the ad hoc committee's support of Rubicon gave the firm an unbeatable advantage.

But members of the committee – Johnson and Councilmen Rob Fong, Steve Cohn and Ray Tretheway – failed to persuade a single one of their colleagues to get on board with their recommendation.

"I was surprised, but there may have been some prejudgment that Rubicon would not pencil out," said Tretheway.

He was not upset, however, with the council's choice. "I think we're going to be OK," he said.

The combination of Taylor's résumé and a D&S plan described as having sound finances has downtown and city officials optimistic.

"There's some momentum in that space that for a long time hasn't had a lot of positive activity," said Michael Ault, executive director of the Downtown Sacramento Partnership.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 3:46 PM

I don't like the lack of height.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 6:35 PM

Good/depressing photo essay from the Bee on K St.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/28/292...to%20Galleries

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I don't like the lack of height.
For me, it isn't height that worries me. I'm not really interested whether this project will be five stories or fifty stories. The main thing I'd really like to see in new development is density. When I'm walking around downtown, I don't feel a sense of density. For crying out loud, I'm in Eugene, Oregon, and it feels denser from the street!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 5:07 AM
Hindrance to Development

So...how would you define "density"?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 8:00 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by What is a Rivercat? View Post
Good/depressing photo essay from the Bee on K St.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/28/292...to%20Galleries
An example of another mistake made using our tax dollars, wasted trying to control an economy that is meant to be free. In the end, K Street will either diminish into more of a void, or they will have to return cars to the street and build parking garages. Then you will see more people, and thriving businesses.
How many millions wasted? Anyone?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area