HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Division and Cleveland
~100 units and another dozen in a separate smaller building along Cleveland
Crappy image, but as you can see, it will definitely be different from the rest of Parkside
Cool. This is also right by an 8 unit building that's either newly completed or about to be and then there's that 20+ story building that's supposed to go up across from this basically too.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 11:09 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ Denver has an even greater collection of these old motels than Chicago does. I saw one last time I was out there complete with a fantastic, massive neon sign that had been very sensitively converted to storage on the outskirts of town. Perhaps some of the older motels out in Lincolnwood or similar areas could be preserved in such a manner.
I know that strip in Denver, it's a good collection of retro cool. Stayed in one about 10 years ago. Checked in late, kinda scary creepy, a real dive... No-tell motel.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:48 AM

^^^ Colfax is the greatest street in America. Michigan Ave, Broadway, The Vegas Strip, Hollywood Bolevard, etc. all pale in comparison. There is no road more authentically American. If you are ever in Denver you must drive the section just west of downtown all the way out to Aurora.

Could it be that Loyola has decided to save this one last townhome??? They have already finished potholing the rest of the site and are already drilling the cassions for the business school. Why else could they be refraining from destroying this building? They even went through the trouble to put weather proofing over the top of the west party wall of the townhome that has been exposed to the elements by the demolition of it's sister.

You can't see it in the picture, but they also have big bright construction lights strung up and on inside the building which would be odd if they just intended to knock it down any day now. Maybe they decided it would be cheaper to modify their new building than go after this last townhome and have to deal with modifying and reinforcing the party wall with the notoriously persnickety fellow who is sitting on that old artists colony or whatever it is. Then again maybe that's why it is taking so long to raze the last townhome and they decided to get started on the rest of the site while they carefully dismantle this townhome to avoid damaging the neighbors property.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:54 AM

Construction of Jeanne Gang's new dorms at U of C is slated to kick off in June:

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...weather-breaks

Also the new lab school already broke ground.

The Eckertt Research Center is also nearing completion:

This really fills out the little quad space/square around the Henry Moore "Nuclear Energy" sculpture which is one of my favorite pieces of public art.

Photos from here:

http://facilities.uchicago.edu/construction/current/

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:12 AM

There's been several versions of renderings, but one showed an ambiguous area where the row house was since the "tower" has a notch. It was always my understanding the last one would be saved and partially incorporated. But when demolition started, I felt uncertain on this one.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 12:34 PM
The City

One would hope Loyola would preserve that townhome. The nice thing is, individual townhomes next to highrises usually insure their existence in perpetuity, since there rarely is any incentive to demolish it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 12:36 PM
The City

Quote:
This really fills out the little quad space/square around the Henry Moore "Nuclear Energy" sculpture which is one of my favorite pieces of public art.
^ Meh, I rarely get excited about a building "filling out" a lot when that lot was already occupied before.

Especially on the south side, we need to fill up vacant lots, not demo and rebuild...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:17 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Meh, I rarely get excited about a building "filling out" a lot when that lot was already occupied before.

Especially on the south side, we need to fill up vacant lots, not demo and rebuild...
That's a nice sentiment and I actually agree with you, but for an institution like U of C, the only way to maintain a very high level of research is to continuously upgrade their facilities. Additionally, the new student dorms are admittedly pretty sweet

Thanks LVDW!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:24 PM

^^^ While I hate to lose a Weese, I think the Jeanne Gang dorms are unquestionably better. In fact, I am probably more excited for this project than any other in the city right now. U of C always uses top of the line materials (see the new Logan Arts Center) and it will be awesome to see what Gang can do when given a longer leash. Should be an incredible transformation for U of C and an instant landmark.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:41 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^Agree 100%. U of C has created a very nice architectural haven within a relatively small area. Vinoly, Pelli, Legoretta, Williams & Tsien, Jahn and now Jeannie Gang...and this is just within the past 15 years or so!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
There's been several versions of renderings, but one showed an ambiguous area where the row house was since the "tower" has a notch. It was always my understanding the last one would be saved and partially incorporated. But when demolition started, I felt uncertain on this one.
However, demolition permits were obtained for both homes back in June, so it could be that they were keeping both options open by delaying demolition for several months. I'm not entirely sure what's happening now.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
However, demolition permits were obtained for both homes back in June, so it could be that they were keeping both options open by delaying demolition for several months. I'm not entirely sure what's happening now.
Yep, that's what had changed my understanding. But the design retains that step. So if the house ends up being demolished, there will be a lowrise portion there. The tower rises just west of the building in question.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
^^Agree 100%. U of C has created a very nice architectural haven within a relatively small area. Vinoly, Pelli, Legoretta, Williams & Tsien, Jahn and now Jeannie Gang...and this is just within the past 15 years or so!
That's not even taking into account the older works they have ranging from the gothic original buildings to one of the most important architectural treasures on earth: Robie House. They also have a relatively rare Saarinen, the Mies Social Sciences School, and Netsch's brutalist masterpiece the Regenstein Library.

As if that weren't enough there are even more treasures just off campus including the Burnham designed MSI, Fredrick Law Olmsted's Jackson Park and Washington Park, another half dozen or so wright houses, and the treasures of Indian Village.

All in all probably one of the most, if not THE most, architecturally significant campuses on earth. There are very few places on the planet where you will find such a collection in such a small area. I always take visitors from out of town down here to demonstrate how massively awesome Chicago is.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Division and Cleveland
~100 units and another dozen in a separate smaller building along Cleveland
Crappy image, but as you can see, it will definitely be different from the rest of Parkside
One can only hope that they are all market rate units. I'm getting so tired of subsidizing some people to live in great areas while most middle and working class families could only dream of living there.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:37 PM

I'm heading off to college next year and may be attending U. of C. (I'm still deciding but it's likely my first choice). I do have to say that the new Gang dorms play a role in my decision. How awesome would it be to have that skyline view at the top...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:59 PM
The City

Quote:
^^^ While I hate to lose a Weese, I think the Jeanne Gang dorms are unquestionably better. In fact, I am probably more excited for this project than any other in the city right now. U of C always uses top of the line materials (see the new Logan Arts Center) and it will be awesome to see what Gang can do when given a longer leash. Should be an incredible transformation for U of C and an instant landmark.
^ Oh I agree about the Gang dorms, but I'm referring to the Eckhertt center, which also replaced a building.

Otherwise, I agree with your overall sentiment about U of C and their architectural collection. Hyde Park in general and the surrounding areas are a jewel on the south side. If only they were better connected with the rest of the city, think about the possibilities...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
One can only hope that they are all market rate units. I'm getting so tired of subsidizing some people to live in great areas while most middle and working class families could only dream of living there.
Totally agree. Why in the world so some people get to live for free? It's ridiculous.

I believe subsidized housing should only exist for seniors and people who are truly disabled, or in some other way not able to work. It should not be a multi-generational freebie.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 10:23 PM

Which ever site is being developed on Lake and Halsted, it can't start soon enough.
Today

Aberdeen and Adams

Phase 2 has started as well just West on Adams

Madison and Racine (center) Google (upper left)

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Apr 4, 2014 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 11:15 PM

Today
Bulls practice facility

Madison and Racine

Google

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 11:23 PM

Riverwalk

Vibrators

Measure - and the re-measure

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development