HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:34 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Whoa....Oilers seriously.
It was a great game until the 5min major. Hell, if Puljujarvi hadn't missed that open net 2mins before, it would have been 1-1 and we had the momentum. Shows how much can change from a play or 2.

We collapsed and didn't recover, but prior to that we were playing the best road team with a goalie who owns us very well.

...that said, all of this 'it starts' tonight talk by the boys sure didn't work.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:37 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Dirty Maroon
I dunno. Having watched all of the angles, I believe he was trying to take both men out to allow the other Oiler to somehow get the puck back and go around in the corner. I have had a similar hit to this where a guy 6'4" hit me 5'11" as I turned and his shoulder hit my head. Was it intentional, don't think so. It was a risky play though, Maroon should have let up.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
It was a great game until the 5min major. Hell, if Puljujarvi hadn't missed that open net 2mins before, it would have been 1-1 and we had the momentum. Shows how much can change from a play or 2.

We collapsed and didn't recover, but prior to that we were playing the best road team with a goalie who owns us very well.

...that said, all of this 'it starts' tonight talk by the boys sure didn't work.
Or a win or two against divisional opponents. If the Flames had have beaten Anaheim and San Jose (2 games) in those recent one-goal games they would be 22-13, and in the thick of things. Amazingly tight league these days.

I think the Oilers might be done for the season. They lost two games in a row to two good teams, but there are an awful lot of teams ahead that they have to leapfrog. They have some talent and can maybe make a run, but it's such an uphill battle now. Vancouver is most likely done, they are too far back now, and they don't have the talent the Oilers do.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 10:41 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Corrected.
I guess I must have just been dreaming all those cocky Oilers fans I saw online over the summer.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 10:50 PM
HVAC guru

^ LOL.

Mr. Ian was one of the worst offenders.

Certain local media personalities (David Staples) made some pretty grand pronunciations last year, but it was by & large the fans that sold themselves on the idea that the Oilers were going to be contenders this year.

Reality's a bitch

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:35 AM
Community Guy

I certainly thought that they would make the playoffs, maybe top 4, but not the cup as MANY professional hockey journalists and prediction folk said.

...in other news the Oilers acquire Montoya from MTL.

Buh bye LB.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:52 AM
Community Guy

That said, after this important win... WE WANT THE CUP!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 5:14 AM

WE WANT DA LIN!

Happy the Oilers won, and Habs win too! When Horvat gets back it will be hard to maintain bottom 4. Maybe bottom 6 and a bit of luck...

Meanwhile, Pettersson will get a chance to show the country what he's made of as he and Team Sweden face Canada in the WJC final.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
That said, after this important win... WE WANT THE CUP!
A helpful win for the Oilers but other teams (Calgary, Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado) also picked up 2 points, so the Oilers only moved another inch towards their coffin.

In my estimation teams will need approximately 44 wins just to make a WC wild card spot this year. With Edmonton having 41 games left, and only 18 wins, they will need to go something like 26-11-5 for the rest of the season just to have a shot at a wild card spot. Highly unlikely, as they just aren't as good a team as many thought.
Last year they had a good season, but they also had lots of bounces..they seemed to have everything go their way, and they aren't getting that this year. They were also running on emotion...winning games for the first time in over a decade. Next year they'll probably be better, but will it be enough to make the playoffs? Hard to say.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:12 PM

Mr Ian overzealously pumps anything attached to the word Edmonton lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ LOL.

Mr. Ian was one of the worst offenders.

Certain local media personalities (David Staples) made some pretty grand pronunciations last year, but it was by & large the fans that sold themselves on the idea that the Oilers were going to be contenders this year.

Reality's a bitch

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:58 PM
Community Guy

^and also one of the biggest critics of it, even if you don't see that as often in text.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 2:19 AM

Excellent way to describe it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
A helpful win for the Oilers but other teams (Calgary, Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado) also picked up 2 points, so the Oilers only moved another inch towards their coffin.

In my estimation teams will need approximately 44 wins just to make a WC wild card spot this year. With Edmonton having 41 games left, and only 18 wins, they will need to go something like 26-11-5 for the rest of the season just to have a shot at a wild card spot. Highly unlikely, as they just aren't as good a team as many thought.
Last year they had a good season, but they also had lots of bounces..they seemed to have everything go their way, and they aren't getting that this year. They were also running on emotion...winning games for the first time in over a decade. Next year they'll probably be better, but will it be enough to make the playoffs? Hard to say.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 11:54 PM

Flames coach loses it!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:28 AM

Our best defenceman gets injured a third time this year haha!? All the teams injuries are getting rediculous now.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:07 AM

Oilers lose again, and badly...in their last three losses they have been outscored 15-1. Is there anyone out there who thinks they aren't done for the year?

On the downside, it was the Stars win, and that's not good for the Flames.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:39 AM

^^^ Win-win

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 2:06 AM

Jagr already wants to leave Calgary??

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 2:56 AM
Community Guy

Edmonton has no chemistry, no plays and little ability to get high percentage chances. What gives.

Last edited by BlaineN; Jan 7, 2018 at 8:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 8:01 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Oilers lose again, and badly...in their last three losses they have been outscored 15-1. Is there anyone out there who thinks they aren't done for the year?

On the downside, it was the Stars win, and that's not good for the Flames.
16-2 including the win.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Edmonton has no chemistry, no plays and little ability to get high percentage chances. What gives.
They remind me a lot of the Avalanche a few years back. Last season an exciting run for a young team that got a lot of bounces and everything seeming to go their way, and they rode the momentum. This year has been more of a reality check.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada