HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 1:02 PM
Eurosceptic

Coudersport, PA

Coudersport (pop. 2,546), located in far north-central Pennsylvania, is the seat of Potter County (pop. 17,457). The town is located along the Allegheny River, only a few miles from its source, deep in the heavily wooded Allegheny Plateau. US Route 6 passes through Coudy, a route that ties together PA's Northern Tier and serves as a popular tourist route. The town was the HQ of national cable giant Adelphia until it was destroyed by internal corruption.

Coudersport was incorporated in 1848, and boomed a few decades later as a center for logging. The trees ran out around 1910, and the town stagnated. In the 1950s, Eliot Ness spent his final years there.

Coudy gained fame in the late 20th century as the unlikely HQ of the nation's 5th-largest cable provider: Adelphia. The region saw significant population growth and development throughout the 90s and early 00s, until bank fraud, wire fraud and securities fraud toppled its economic crown jewel. Adelphia's cable assets were acquired by Time Warner and Comcast.

Coudersport is a lovely, pristine town that reminds me of Northern New England moreso than most of Pennsylvania. Its residential area is quite low-density, large wooden houses on large lots. Its downtown balances architectural conformity with individuality, and is remarkably well-preserved.

Coudersport welcomes you!

Potter County Courthouse was completed in 1853.

Potter County Jail

Adelphia completed this $30 million, 72,000 sq ft downtown HQ in 2002... just months before the accounting scandal unfolded. Designed for 275 employees, it now sits empty. This building has attracted little interest.

the mighty Allegheny

for some reason... tiny Coudersport has a massive Freemasons complex... here's the Scottish Rite Consistory

I have no idea...

Austin (pop. 562) is located 15 miles south of Coudersport in southwestern Potter County, surrounded by Susquehannock State Forest. Austin grew up as a logging town. In 1911, the Austin Dam failed... killing 78 people and spawning a documentary narrated by Willie Nelson.

Austin is not much to photograph, but it interested me because it is home to the smallest school district in Pennsylvania (by enrollment/population). There are about 180 students K-12... and rapidly shrinking.

Austin Area School... so tiny

Last edited by Evergrey; Jun 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos