HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Abraj Al Bait in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mecca Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 2:59 AM

no its not finished yet, that was the Clock Inauguration and not the whole complex

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 2:00 PM
Editor

Yes, a crane is still up; likely there is still some work to do altough the exterior looks complete.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 9:44 PM

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 10:40 AM
Imster

Lightbulb Viewing angles

Eid Mubarak - the 1st Eid with the Clock tower! I hope somneone can get some nice aerial shots showing its height - it is deceptively tall - i would love to see pictures of looking down the vast tower complex

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imster View Post
Eid Mubarak - the 1st Eid with the Clock tower! I hope somneone can get some nice aerial shots showing its height - it is deceptively tall - i would love to see pictures of looking down the vast tower complex
Eid Mubarak!

Great areal photos by Ahmad Hijazi

Last edited by Roukaya19; Aug 30, 2011 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 12:10 PM

Great updates!

122 par May Mohamed El-Sanhoty, sur Flickr

117 par May Mohamed El-Sanhoty, sur Flickr

116 par May Mohamed El-Sanhoty, sur Flickr

IMG_1640 par May Mohamed El-Sanhoty, sur Flickr

IMG_1654 par May Mohamed El-Sanhoty, sur Flickr

IMG_1658 par May Mohamed El-Sanhoty, sur Flickr

96 par May Mohamed El-Sanhoty, sur Flickr

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 12:14 PM

ساعة مكة makkah clock par mohd.alyusuf, sur Flickr

25 August 2011

Video Link

Makkah Clock The Night Of Eid

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 12:23 PM

After Qiam par hair3e ~ ( 0..0 ), sur Flickr

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 4:17 PM

Great Areal View of Makkah
on almadinachannel

Video Link

http://www.al-madina.com/node/322990/video

صور جوية للمسجد الحرام وروحانية تعم المكان والزمان من ارتفاع 1000 قدم -بعدسة أحمد حجازي

Great photos by Ahmed Hijazi

more: http://www.al-madina.com/node/322423

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 11:44 AM

Eid Mubarak to all

IN FLICKR

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 12:53 PM

Just ugly! I can't say more.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 8:08 PM

This tower is not ugly but a bit too fat. It looks much shorter than 1972 feet.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIII View Post
This tower is not ugly but a bit too fat. It looks much shorter than 1972 feet.

I have wanted to comment on the Abraj Al-Bait and complex for quite some time.

Making any comment that made any sense about this construction in Meccah has proven difficult, as Meccah is a supremely holy place.

I am a bit disturbed by the scale of the complex and how the Grand Mosque is forced IMO to compete with a huge hotel complex. I do, however, believe that the architects did very well, given the size of the structure, in providing the best possible view of the Inner Courtyard from most rooms. Likewise, I think the architectural conservatism- with the use of classic Islamic motifs and the muted earthtones has helped reduce the contrast between the Mosque and the structure. The immense clock bothers me less the more I see pictures of it, as the connection between human mortality, the observer, and, Eternity so present in the Grand Mosque, might be reinforced for some.

I do hope, however, that this structure does not become a tourist attraction for obvious reasons.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Sep 21, 2011 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 5:36 PM

the building is of the purest form of architecture. it has a purpose and it serves it purpose to an extreme that few if any other purpose built buildings in history have done. to that extent this building is a complete and utter success. all that and it is the second tallest building in the world. omg, what more could you ask for. i just wish the morons would stay away from this thread and go waste someone else s time with there endless, redundant, worthless trolling. this building is obviously chalk full of greatness. one of the man made wonders of the world. yet here comes the retards who go on and on about how awful it is. they must have incredibly low self esteem and a hidden (even from themselves), sense of self worthlessness. why else would they come here and call down what is obviously one of the most important structures to be built in the past 1000 or so years. it must make them somehow feel better than they actually are. this building is just that, it is more than the empire state building or the sears tower. them towers have very little significance to most peoples lives. other than the people that work in them. this structure serves an entire movement that is global. god has endorsed this thing.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crolo View Post
Just ugly! I can't say more.
well i should hope to say so, your fingers have already said to much.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 5:58 PM
JACKinBeantown

Very impressive in its total size. The whole complex is going to be enormous once finished (it already is).

The city itself looks like a very difficult place to live (physically and climatologically). I'd like to see stats on the amount of water piped n.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 8:06 PM

That is beautiful! Wow!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 6:35 PM

The father of all skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
the building is of the purest form of architecture. it has a purpose and it serves it purpose to an extreme that few if any other purpose built buildings in history have done. to that extent this building is a complete and utter success. all that and it is the second tallest building in the world. omg, what more could you ask for. i just wish the morons would stay away from this thread and go waste someone else s time with there endless, redundant, worthless trolling. this building is obviously chalk full of greatness. one of the man made wonders of the world. yet here comes the retards who go on and on about how awful it is. they must have incredibly low self esteem and a hidden (even from themselves), sense of self worthlessness. why else would they come here and call down what is obviously one of the most important structures to be built in the past 1000 or so years. it must make them somehow feel better than they actually are. this building is just that, it is more than the empire state building or the sears tower. them towers have very little significance to most peoples lives. other than the people that work in them. this structure serves an entire movement that is global. god has endorsed this thing.
At the beginning I agreed with you. But at the end you talking absolute nonsense.

Who could say that the Empire State Building has little significance to most people? Not only it is a symbol of NYC but much more than that it has been the first building to reach 1000 feet. It is considered as the father of all skyscrapers.

As a skyscraper admirer, I like The Abraj Al Bait tower and I think it is a good skyscraper in its context. But it's nothing more than a copy of the Empire State building (for the middle and the cladding) mixed with Big Ben (for the top). It's design, except for the crescent at the top, is everything but original.

So if you like this tower, say thank you to the architect of The Empire State Builiding (William Lamb) who made it possible.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 9:48 PM

I dont know I just dont see any resemblance to the empire state building. I think some aspects of this building are great and some are tacky, Overall I give it on a scale of 1-10 probably a six because of the height and it is iconic for the middle east but im not a fan of the design

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 4:29 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIII View Post
At the beginning I agreed with you. But at the end you talking absolute nonsense.

Who could say that the Empire State Building has little significance to most people? Not only it is a symbol of NYC but much more than that it has been the first building to reach 1000 feet. It is considered as the father of all skyscrapers.

As a skyscraper admirer, I like The Abraj Al Bait tower and I think it is a good skyscraper in its context. But it's nothing more than a copy of the Empire State building (for the middle and the cladding) mixed with Big Ben (for the top). It's design, except for the crescent at the top, is everything but original.

So if you like this tower, say thank you to the architect of The Empire State Builiding (William Lamb) who made it possible.
I do think that the transition between the two halves of the building is rather inelegant and awkward as viewed from a far distance. Up close, it looks much better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive