HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 11:32 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenerBitcher View Post
Wanna know something crazy? The first time I heard about Hastings St. in Vancouver was in grade nine health class, when we watched a shocking documentary about the drug addiction there. That video was likely from the eighties or something though. Looks like there is a nice mix of developments going on in the area.
Nothing crazy about that at all. It's a lot worse there now than it was in the 80s. I'm actually amazed at how the OP made the neighbourhood look somewhat decent - mostly by keeping the camera shot just above the masses of addicts roaming the streets or at least shooting them from far away so you can't see how close to death they really are.

I work security on Hastings and it's hell on earth.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 12:51 PM
low life in a tall place

Great tour of what seems like an architecturally stunning road. Vancouver has some nice (and tall) gems of old!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 12:54 PM

Wow, lots of really nice old buildings there.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 3:24 PM

Wonderful tour! So glad to see the historic structures still in use.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Given Vancouver's liberal attitude and a laissez faire approach to drug issues, I don't see much hope for area improvement.
Well you obviously haven't been there in awhile. There is a ton of redevelopment going on currently in the area. The price of land in Vancouver is so high that developers realize they can no longer ignore the area. And people have shown that they are willing to live there. New condo units in the downtown eastide get snapped up just as fast as anywhere else in the city (Woodwards 500+units sold out in record time). People can see the great potential of the neighborhood. Within 5 years I'm confident it will be a much different place.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 8:12 PM
Mac User

^ I agree. I have walked around that area a number of times and it really isn't that bad. The area will be redeveloped, but I am slightly concerned about how because it would be tragic if the area became another Yaletown. The DTES has a lot of history and ethnic neighborhoods that must be preserved. The open hard drug, panhandling and street people have to go but the area needs more affordable housing.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 11:55 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
Unfortunately, Vancouver's DTES is in such huge social crisis. I have visited some pretty shady neighbourhoods in Chicago, Metro LA and NYC...but driving down Hastings after dark is shocking. I don't think anyone can really understand how bad the situation is, until you see it yourself, the numbers of homeless and addicts are mindboggling...sidewalks looking like some sort of post apocalyptic zombie movie.
Driving at night? It's the same during the day, except add some non-zombies.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 12:30 AM
Community Guy

i love east hastings architecture and whilst living in van frequently walked it...even at night. It really isnt that dangerous and you can actually have some very good conversations with different sorts of people there.

I hope it is renewed but with a very sensitive brush, for it has the opportunity to preserve, enhance, teach, and give in every sense of the word back to the city of Vancouver and its people.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
i love east hastings architecture and whilst living in van frequently walked it...even at night. It really isnt that dangerous and you can actually have some very good conversations with different sorts of people there.
I totally agree. I used to work in the neighbourhood and I walked through it all the time. I never felt threatened or scared. Just depressed. It's not a violent type of place at all but the winds of change are starting to blow through...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 2:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

along certain stretches of East Hastings, the term "Zombies" to describe the people clustering is entirely appropriate. Truly one of the scarier parts of Canada. I've walked/rollerbladed through the area many times. Never really threatened, but accosted by panhandlers/glazed-eyed prostitutes every 10 feet. Peer into any adjacent alleyway...you WILL see people self-injecting.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:28 AM

Unlike Calgary, Vancouver embraces its monuments. Nice to see the weather cooperated!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Well you obviously haven't been there in awhile. There is a ton of redevelopment going on currently in the area. The price of land in Vancouver is so high that developers realize they can no longer ignore the area. And people have shown that they are willing to live there. New condo units in the downtown eastide get snapped up just as fast as anywhere else in the city (Woodwards 500+units sold out in record time). People can see the great potential of the neighborhood. Within 5 years I'm confident it will be a much different place.
I was there in early March, and while yes I did notice that Woodwards development, how much of that area is taken up by social agencies as well as extremely low income housing. Vancouver (for good or for bad) doesn't seem like the kind of city to allow people to be displaced for the sake of development.

The big question is, if the whole area is redeveloped and social agencies and the low income housing are moved....where do the junkies go? When any other city has gone through a big redevelopment they have never had the massive numbers of homeless/addicts concentrated in one area like Vancouver does.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 9:23 AM

great thread, thanks.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:45 PM
Closed account

IMPRESSIVE looks like a great place to live.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
I was there in early March, and while yes I did notice that Woodwards development, how much of that area is taken up by social agencies as well as extremely low income housing. Vancouver (for good or for bad) doesn't seem like the kind of city to allow people to be displaced for the sake of development.

The big question is, if the whole area is redeveloped and social agencies and the low income housing are moved....where do the junkies go? When any other city has gone through a big redevelopment they have never had the massive numbers of homeless/addicts concentrated in one area like Vancouver does.
I never meant to imply that redevelopment would be the only solution to the DE's complex array of issues, a multi pronged approach with the help of all levels of government is the only thing that will ever turn the neighborhood around. This is what is now finally starting to take place.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 4:32 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I agree it isn't dangerous to walk through. It's relatively safe considering the desperate level of poverty - I've never understood why Vancouver homeless/addicts aren't as hostile as other cities. But that doesn't make the scale of despair/hopelessness any less horrifying.

I really want to go through and take photos one day. Real photos of the people there. Though that might make the locals a little more hostile.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
I guess the drugies aren't quite ready to move on just yet. Nice to see they have a sense of humor about their addiction though. They say acceptance is the first step...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 1:32 AM

What an amazing city.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefyvie View Post
Unlike Calgary, Vancouver embraces its monuments. Nice to see the weather cooperated!
It was such a beautiful sunny day! It's been overcast a lot lately so I got lucky.

Many grand old buildings in Vancouver have disappeared but the difference is Van started recognizing the value in heritage preservation earlier than Calgary. And with old buildings and history in that respect, you only get one chance. Living in both cities, that's my take at least.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 11:51 AM
BigBrotheriswatchingyou

Thanks a lot for the interesting tour!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos