HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

99 Washington Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 8:25 PM

PHILADELPHIA | Family Court Building | 15 flrs | 265 ft

Title: Philadelphia Family Court Building
Project: Court Room Space, Office Space, 4 stories of underground parking
Architect: Ewing Cole
Developer: City of Philadelphia/ Keating/ Tishman
Neighborhood: Logan Square
District: Center City
Floors: 15
Height: 265 ft

The building will be 14 flrs and rise 250+ ft at the corner of 15th and Arch Streets. It will sit on top of a 4 story underground parking garage. Construction is underway, the hole is completely dug and the foundations are being constructed. A lot of support work has to be done in the ground due to it sitting next to the underground regional rail line.

The Old Parking Lot where this building will sit

A shot of the crane by jrdizzy.

Photo by Insoluble

Last edited by summersm343; Aug 30, 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 11:45 PM

The height is 250+ feet, not 150+ feet. The building next to it (One Parkway) is 258 feet high.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 11:48 PM

Tower crane is a Link Belt TG 1900 with 190' boom and frestanding at 162'.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 12:11 AM
BeenThere,DoneThat

I know this is a cheap as can be utilitarian glass box but I really like the way it looks. I commend the architect for doing a lot with a little.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 1:52 AM

I like it as well... beautiful modern architecture in my opinion

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 3:14 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I think it looks good too. Hopefully the finished product will look that nice.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 2:25 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I'm not holding out huge hope for this one.

From today, December 26.

Can't remember the last time I posted construction update shots....

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 5:20 AM

I think this will be one of those buildings where the actual building looks better then the render... I hope at least. It seems like more work has been done since I've last seen it

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 7:47 PM

the rendering looks hideous...but it's killing a parking lot...so I will shut my mouth on this one...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 11:03 PM

What's the purpose of the little cut-out in the facade on the side, at the very top? Makes the building look like one of those moving boxes-- so that perhaps some day a giant can come and pick it up and rid us of its presence!

Generally, aren't those facade cutouts a way to present some depth and character on a glasslined wall on a skyscraper...to break the monotony so to speak. In that sense, the cutout in Comcast works quite well. But for such a short building, do they really need to have such a "box grab"?!

Other than that, yeah I'm actually a bit pleasantly surprised at how the rendering looks...not too shabby.

But 14 floors and 250 feet?! the floors would have to be each more than 17' tall-- is that for real?!

Meanwhile, the old Family Court building has been put out to bid by Nutter administration for a new hotel-- is that still happening?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyaggie View Post
What's the purpose of the little cut-out in the facade on the side, at the very top? Makes the building look like one of those moving boxes-- so that perhaps some day a giant can come and pick it up and rid us of its presence!

Generally, aren't those facade cutouts a way to present some depth and character on a glasslined wall on a skyscraper...to break the monotony so to speak. In that sense, the cutout in Comcast works quite well. But for such a short building, do they really need to have such a "box grab"?!

Other than that, yeah I'm actually a bit pleasantly surprised at how the rendering looks...not too shabby.

But 14 floors and 250 feet?! the floors would have to be each more than 17' tall-- is that for real?!

Meanwhile, the old Family Court building has been put out to bid by Nutter administration for a new hotel-- is that still happening?
Once again... the building next to it is One Parkway which is 258 feet tall. lol. If the renders are correct then the height is approximately 250 feet. There will be several court rooms in it which will probably have 20 foot ceilings, and probably a lobby with 20 foot ceilings or higher. Not to mention it says 14 floors but doesn't mention a mechanical floor which since there is no basement because of a 3-4 story underground parking garage, it will probably be located elsewhere making this building most likely 15 floors. 14 floors of court/office space.

Last edited by summersm343; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Once again... the building next to it is One Parkway which is 258 feet tall. lol. If the renders are correct then the height is approximately 250 feet. There will be several court rooms in it which will probably have 20 foot ceilings, and probably a lobby with 20 foot ceilings or higher. Not to mention it says 24 floors but doesn't mention a mechanical floor which since there is no basement because of a 3-4 story underground parking garage, it will probably be located elsewhere making this building most likely 15 floors. 14 floors of court/office space.
ah, okay. thanks for all that detail!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 11:24 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyaggie View Post

I have been involved with courthouse construction. It is for real.

-sb

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
I have been involved with courthouse construction. It is for real.
Thank you for verification

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:27 AM

http://planphilly.com/event/philadel...sday-january-4

One more floor will be added to this building. The floor count is now 15 at approximately 267 feet

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 12:59 AM
BANNED

Only in Philadelphia. Nimbys trying to block that 1 extra floor .

http://planphilly.com/art-commission...court-building

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Only in Philadelphia. Nimbys trying to block that 1 extra floor .

http://planphilly.com/art-commission...court-building
15 Floors is obviously way to high for C5 zoning. The developer must think he is in Dubia or China or something...

On a side note base FAR for C5 is 1200% and the underground parking should give a bonus FAR of 300% so I think they are fine with 15 Floors even if it covers the whole lot.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:39 AM

The developer should not even need approval then because this lot was rezoned to C-5... god I hope the new zoning code eliminates these stupid processes Three Logan Square (Bell Atlantic) is well over 700 feet tall and is within 250 feet of the parkway and the world didn't implode when that was finished did it? (Btw for those who don't know anything within 250 feet of the parkway can not be higher then 250 feet... that's probably why there is not highrise development on the parkway).

Why do the NIMBY's even have a say? One more story is going to matter? It will block what? One more stories view in the Metropolitan? Here's an idea... if you want a view... live somewhere else and not the Metropolitan... it's only a year lease, the building won't be completed until 2014... Move the %^&* out of the Metropolitan then! NIMBY's make no sense... Why do people move into the city and then complain when tall buildings are being built... or any building at all for that matter... if I'm not mistaken NIMBY's were all up in arms over Dranoffs proposed 4 (5?) story building on South St and they made him change that... take that NIMBY's

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
15 Floors is obviously way to high for C5 zoning. The developer must think he is in Dubia or China or something...

On a side note base FAR for C5 is 1200% and the underground parking should give a bonus FAR of 300% so I think they are fine with 15 Floors even if it covers the whole lot.
Does it cover the entire lot? I know the city building next to it has a small parking lot behind it.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
The developer should not even need approval then because this lot was rezoned to C-5... god I hope the new zoning code eliminates these stupid processes Three Logan Square (Bell Atlantic) is well over 700 feet tall and is within 250 feet of the parkway and the world didn't implode when that was finished did it? (Btw for those who don't know anything within 250 feet of the parkway can not be higher then 250 feet... that's probably why there is not highrise development on the parkway).

Why do the NIMBY's even have a say? One more story is going to matter? It will block what? One more stories view in the Metropolitan? Here's an idea... if you want a view... live somewhere else and not the Metropolitan... it's only a year lease, the building won't be completed until 2014... Move the %^&* out of the Metropolitan then! NIMBY's make no sense... Why do people move into the city and then complain when tall buildings are being built... or any building at all for that matter... if I'm not mistaken NIMBY's were all up in arms over Dranoffs proposed 4 (5?) story building on South St and they made him change that... take that NIMBY's
It was the owner of the apartment building so he will fight it because the views are impacted? I would think it would help rental prices and rates but who knows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive