HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:59 PM

Good Day.

On the MUP underpasses.... anywhere and everywhere....please be aware that :

No one - designers, constructors, nor bikers, has learned anything....ever....from exactly the identical situation at the TWO MUP underpasses up at Hog's Back.....they are the exactly identical ongoing, historic, and historical (! hysterical !) disasters to these new to-be-ongoing disasters. I have walked AND BIKED through these, and spandexed speed-daemons could care less. And yes, there have been collisions and injuries - I used to live nearby, and saw too much, regularly. <SNORT><sigh>
End-of-Rant.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post
Good Day.

No one - designers, constructors, nor bikers, has learned anything....ever....from exactly the identical situation at the TWO MUP underpasses up at Hog's Back.....they are the exactly identical ongoing, historic, and historical (! hysterical !) disasters to these new to-be-ongoing disasters. I have walked AND BIKED through these, and spandexed speed-daemons could care less. And yes, there have been collisions and injuries - I used to live nearby, and saw too much, regularly. <SNORT><sigh>
End-of-Rant.
I believe the Bayview MUP underpass was added very late in the design and didn't get much, if any design review.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Good Day.

End-of-Rant.
I have been through the Hog's Back tunnel as a cyclist and pedestrian and because of its narrow design, you always had to be careful. That was built in the 70s. Have we not learned anything since then? MUPs are problematic for cyclists and pedestrians alike but when they are in tunnels, there is nowhere to go when there is a conflict.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
I believe the Bayview MUP underpass was added very late in the design and didn't get much, if any design review.
Good Day.

Unfortunately, agreed. As with Pimisi (per WestSideAction), MUPs and Bikes and even Pedestrians were virtually totally ignored in many, if not most, considerations and design elements, at Bayview and other stations. It has resulted in some rather strange upsy-downsy transit user gyrations at many stations, and had some interesting effects on design considerations for Baseline/Algonquin, both in the past and in the upcoming future, of train-bus interactions and facilities there.

To call the whole thing peculiar just does not do justice to what we have seem on these points (not to mention what we have NOT seen !!).

NoJoy!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:53 PM

CONFEDERATION LINE UPDATE
June 7, 2018

At Tunney’s Pasture Station, crews will be working on the topping slabs and the service rooms, while at Bayview Station; crews will be completing composite metal panel (CMP) installations and elevator glazing. At Rideau Station, there is ongoing painting, ceiling and electrical work to complete the East Entrance. Across the eastern stations, current activities include installation of glass panels, utility cabinets, fare-gate equipment, and entrance lantern glass and lighting.

West Stations
Tunney’s Pasture Station
Work continues on the bus operator building, bus supervisor office, and maintenance building. Topping slabs for the concourse and the eastbound and westbound platforms continue.

Bayview Station
There is continuing work on the east plaza and the east stairs. The installation of CMP in the north and south roof are ongoing.

Pimisi Station
Platform weatherproofing and waterproofing continues. Installation of CMP in the lower concourse are expected to conclude in the coming weeks. Construction of the Booth Street Bridge bike lanes is scheduled to being next week.

Central Stations
Lyon Station
Architectural works are ongoing at the station. Crews are busy installing the fire alarm system, light fixtures and communication devices. Intumescent painting, ceiling panel installations and tiling occur as well.

Parliament Station
At the platform level, insulation, mechanical and electrical rough-ins are installed for the HVAC system. Concourse tiling, hardware installations, work on the elevators, and communications installs occur as well.

Parliament Station west tunnel vent shaft (TVS)
Rebar installation, formwork, and the third concrete pour takes place this week.

Parliament Station east TVS
Hydrovacing will occur intermittently during day time hours over the summer months to clean surface areas and underground lines in the tunnel.

Rideau Station
Progress at the elevators continue with structural steel machine component installations, as well as painting. Escalator installations advance as well and the west concourse mezzanine progresses with rebar and decking. Work on the platform includes mechanical and electrical rough-ins, masonry walls and stair construction.
Hydrovacing will occur intermittently during day time hours over the summer months to clean surface areas and underground lines in the tunnel

Rideau Station west entrance
Escalator commissioning is wrapping up soon in this location. Elsewhere throughout the west entrance, concrete works, tiling, mechanical and electrical works occur. At the west TVS, forming, rebar, and the sixth concrete pours occur for the sixth of seven pours. Waterproofing and backfill will follow next week

Rideau Station east entrance
Elevator shaft and head house intumescent painting wraps up this week. Next week, entrance elevators, glass panels, and siding finishes will begin to be installed. Other ongoing works include electrical, mechanical, and ceiling installations.

East Portal
Backfilling of the cut and cover portion of the tunnel entrance is almost complete.

uOttawa Station
​The elevator shroud install is underway. Fare-gate installation preparations are ongoing, and crews will pour the final floor topping at the fare-gate areas. Other scheduled works include the installation of windscreen glass panels starting at the end of the week.

East Stations
Lees Station
Work continues on the eastbound platform topping. Initial fare-gate installation works have started. Other scheduled installations include the canopy roof glazing and public art.

Hurdman Station
The work to install CMP is scheduled to conclude shortly. There is work anticipated on the north platform and south platform toppings. The entrance lanterns advance. The full-height glazing work is ongoing.

Tremblay Station
Fare-gate installation continues this month and utility cabinets will be going in. The wood ceilings have been completed.

St-Laurent Station
Porcelain panels are undergoing final finishes. The elevator glazing installation is ongoing. Crews are working on the fare-gates and lighting in that area. Other installations anticipated to begin include the concrete benches and public art.

Cyrville Station
Wood ceilings will be installed in the coming weeks. Crews will also work on the remaining signage, as well as the windscreens at the fare gates. Furnishings such as bike shelters and metal benches will also be going in.​

Blair Station
Utility cabinets and platform doors are being finished. Fare gate equipment and glazing installations have begun. Backlit entrance lantern installations will be underway soon. Public art installations are ongoing.

Guideway and Trackwork
Regular train-testing occurs between Blair and uOttawa stations and OLRTC is looking ahead to the extension of regular train-testing through to Segment 1 in the near future. Segment 1 and the tunnel progress towards permanent electrification. Assembly of LRV34 has begun.

Upcoming Construction Activities
In the coming weeks, the following construction activities are scheduled to occur:
  • Completion and opening of stairs at the S-MUP at uOttawa Station.
  • Addition of bike lanes on the Booth Street Bridge.
  • Windscreen glass installation at Tunney’s Pasture Station.
  • Skylight glazing installation at Tunney’s Pasture Station.
  • Rideau Station west TVS grate installation.
  • Parliament Station west TVS grate installation

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:59 PM

Note the double escalators at Parliament Station, third picture in post above. I don't remember seeing double escalators on any plan for stations other than Rideau.

Couple from Twitter.

uOttawa. That is one, long ass winding ramp. I feel it was much more direct back in the days of the Transitway? I agree Bayview and uOttawa seem poorly designed for pedestrian flows in and out.

https://twitter.com/MathieuFleury/st...94880859250688

Crappy photos of Blair. Looks way better in real life.

https://twitter.com/TimTierney/statu...81844164308992

And another beautiful rendering of the future retail, this time under a bridge somewhere.

https://twitter.com/OC_Transpo/statu...31647311843330

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:06 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
uOttawa. That is one, long ass winding ramp. I feel it was much more direct back in the days of the Transitway? I agree Bayview and uOttawa seem poorly designed for pedestrian flows in and out.
It was a bit more direct but it was still a little windy. The new ramp is a pain in the ass to walk in both directions. I know they're trying to slow cyclists down through the tunnel (I was nearly hit by careless cyclists a number of times) but it's very annoying to use for pedestrians.

Right now the staircase is blocked off and cannot be access by pedestrians. I guess it will be accessible to people not using the LRT once the station is closer to opening.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:24 AM

At uOttawa station, the staircase route seems to be significantly shorter than the ramp , so cyclists/pedestrians conflicts shouldn't be much of an issue. They still could've made the staircase route more direct though.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Good Day.

End-of-Rant.
Could they have been designed specifically to slow down the cyclists?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:24 PM

Photos too small in "CONFEDERATION LINE UPDATE".
Are they trying to hide something?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Photos too small in "CONFEDERATION LINE UPDATE".
Are they trying to hide something?
They're just scaled down to fit in the post. The page on the website has full size images.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
At uOttawa station, the staircase route seems to be significantly shorter than the ramp , so cyclists/pedestrians conflicts shouldn't be much of an issue. They still could've made the staircase route more direct though.
What is with Ottawa constantly designing stairs that maximize walk distances and inconvenience?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:21 PM

Good Day. FYI.

a small info piece from Lafarge Concrete wrt the downtown tunnel portion, shotcrete and sinkhole :

https://www.lafarge.ca/sites/canada/...ottawa_lrt.pdf

EnJoy!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I think Bayview and uOttawa where the entrances are dependent on busy shared pathways are really poorly designed. Add to the fact that the pathways have relatively steep grades and curving sightlines, there are accidents just waiting to happen.

There should have been a wider segregated use tunnel at Bayview as it is the only way to get to the westbound platform from the street. The way it is now, people have to cross oncoming traffic twice to get from the sidewalk to the entrance on the other side.
Remember that there will be a street-level entrance at Bayview, the tunnel isn't part of the station. You don't have to go through the tunnel to get to the far platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
The tunnel was thrown in very late when someone realized the MUP along Albert wouldn't have any way to connect to the Trillium MUP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I have been through the Hog's Back tunnel as a cyclist and pedestrian and because of its narrow design, you always had to be careful. That was built in the 70s. Have we not learned anything since then? MUPs are problematic for cyclists and pedestrians alike but when they are in tunnels, there is nowhere to go when there is a conflict.
The issue is that most of these tunnels are precast box culverts, and this is as big as they come. I know the tunnel on the Trillium MUP under the Somerset Viaduct and the Bayview Tunnel are both the maximum size. Any bigger requires engineering work and custom forming on-site, and the price rises fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Could they have been designed specifically to slow down the cyclists?
The ramp is designed to meet the slope requirements for accessibility without any tight switchbacks, or crossings of the pedestrian route like there was before. It's annoying, but you can see where the compromises were made to fit it into the space available

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:01 AM

Quote:
The old ramp was more direct than the new one and great for cycling but I think it was much too steep to meet current accessibility standards. I remember having to help someone in a wheelchair get up that ramp as it was too steep to power through.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 7:27 PM

People on here don't like the percent of people withing 5km of a station rating (for good reason), so for fun I tried to do something with publicly available information that I could find. I decided to use the City of Ottawa, Sub-Area Household and Population Estimates, Mid-2016 data and rate each sub-area's LRT "usefulness" for each stage of LRT (stage 3 assumes both Kanata and Barrhaven are built). Maps of the regions from the 2011 Census (which are similar, though Kanata and Stittsville have since been merged) can be found here and here. I rated them as follows:

Sub-Area Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3
1. Central Area 3 3 3
2. Inner Area 1 1 1
3. Ottawa East 1 1 1
4. Beacon Hill 3 3 3
5. Alta Vista 4 4 4
6. Hunt Club 3 3 3
7. Merivale 3 3 3
8. Ottawa West 5 5 5
9. Bayshore 4 5 5
10. Cedarview 3 4 4
11. Kanata-Stittsville 2 3 4
12. South Nepean 2 3 4
13. Riverside South 1 3 3
14. Leitrim 2 3 3
15. Orléans 3 4 4
16. Rural Northeast 1 3 3
17. Rural Southeast 1 2 2
18. Rural Southwest 1 1 2
19. Rural Northwest 1 1 2

I defined the ratings as follows:

1 = Very poor (not at all useful for most residents)
2 = Poor (either not useful or a long distance from the closest station)
3 = Average (a medium distance from a station or other factor)
4 = Good (A reasonably short bus ride from the nearest station)
5 = Excellent (either within walking distance or a very short bus ride from a station)

I gave Central an average rating because while it is withing easy walking distance of several station, people who live there are likely within walking distance or a short bus ride of their destination. I used a similar rational for the very poor ratings of Inner Area and Ottawa East. I derated Trillium Line stations because of the transfer, though also considered Southern Transitway access.

Using those ratings, here is the summary:

Stage 1 Population Households
Very poor 1 25.9% 27.7%
Poor 2 21.9% 19.1%
Average 3 35.9% 35.6%
Good 4 11.7% 12.3%
Excellent 5 4.6% 5.2%

Stage 2 Population Households
Very poor 1 20.2% 22.9%
Poor 2 2.9% 2.4%
Average 3 43.9% 41.7%
Good 4 24.3% 23.4%
Excellent 5 8.6% 9.6%

Stage 3 Population Households
Very poor 1 14.6% 18.2%
Poor 2 8.5% 7.2%
Average 3 22.9% 23.3%
Good 4 45.3% 41.8%
Excellent 5 8.6% 9.6%

I realize this is very subjective and is limited by poor resolution in the data, but I think it is still a reasonable approximation.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:45 AM

Interesting little article about a train operator and the simulator. It mentions that trains will travel upwards of 80 km/h in the tunnel.

https://ottawamagazine.com/people-an...s-open-ottawa/

Haven't seen this posted yet so I hope it's not a repost.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
Interesting little article about a train operator and the simulator. It mentions that trains will travel upwards of 80 km/h in the tunnel.

https://ottawamagazine.com/people-an...s-open-ottawa/

Haven't seen this posted yet so I hope it's not a repost.
A lot faster than the buses travel downtown during the winter rush hour. I will be keen to see if and how much time savings we get even with the transfers at Tunney's/Blair.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 8:50 PM

A few pictures.

Rideau Station, the tallest transit escalator in Canada (181 steps). Once again, the City can't get its facts straight. They say that York Mill's currently has the tallest escalator (148 steps), when in Toronto, it's apparently Highway 407 Station (based on this). In Canada, it is likely Granville Station in Vancouver (167 steps).

https://twitter.com/MichaelLeoM/stat...78952098947072

Granville for comparison.

https://twitter.com/MichaelLeoM/stat...78952098947072

Rideau east entrance, from Fleury.

https://twitter.com/MathieuFleury/st...96236895604737

Last edited by J.OT13; Jun 19, 2018 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 3:11 PM

Went by Blair Station a few weeks ago (Gloucester Centre side). The lower level bus platforms feature a couple of those fancier bus shelters with wood inlays, but I'm wondering why they couldn't re-install the old red-piping shelters to provide a continuous shelter and keep a more consistent design (matching the old vertical circulation towers and bridge across the Queensway). The way it is now, the bus shelters look lost in front of an expansive concrete wall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation