HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 4:07 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
In YWG I'd say it's the other way around, there are rumours that Delta is gonna invest into WestJet and redo it up like it has done with Birgin Atlantic, GOL and AeroMexico

Delta is a hub and spoke carrier....

I mean, Air Canada has seen a ton of investment - just not here.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 9:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Apparently Westjet is recruiting people from legacy airlines and is about to introduce a more hub and spoke oriented model.
But why?

I thought Westjet's model was Southwest-like - cheap point-to-point travel. Sure, you need some hubs, especially for traffic from smaller cities (mostly stuff served by Westjet Encore and some mainline flights that serve the extreme east or west of the country), but otherwise why bother with all the downsides of a hub unless you need to?

AC has hubs as they allow travelers to reach a critical mass that feeds their international network. Even they've moved more to a point-to-point system than previously.

Unless Westjet is thinking about expanding their intercontinental flights, this makes no sense.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 9:30 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
But why?

I thought Westjet's model was Southwest-like - cheap point-to-point travel.
That changed when they went into regional travel and then international long haul.

Quote:
Unless Westjet is thinking about expanding their intercontinental flights, this makes no sense.
They most certainly are - you can be sure of that.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
With the way they've bungled their international debut, you have to wonder whether they have the nerve/financial wherewithal to keep going with those. They're certainly not at the stage where they should be rearranging their domestic route network around them.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 10:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
With the way they've bungled their international debut, you have to wonder whether they have the nerve/financial wherewithal to keep going with those. They're certainly not at the stage where they should be rearranging their domestic route network around them.

I feel that Gregg Saretsky's tenure at Westjet as CEO has been hit-and-miss at best. He has expended tons of energy and goodwill in a dubious expansion to London.

When Westjet focused on the Canadian and North American travel market, they had pretty much only one competitor - Air Canada. Air Canada was beset with its own problems in the 2000s, most of which of were due to the self-inflicted wound of buying bankrupt Canadian Airlines. Air Canada was a disliked, uncompetitive, bankruptcy-riddled mess of a company in the 2000s. Competing against that was shooting fish in a barrel.

Now, as it expands to intercontinental travel, Westjet is learning that it's not the easy pickings it had during its domestic/North America phase. No longer is Westjet just competing with Air Canada, they are now competing with British Airways, Icelandair and Air Transat, among others who have learned the hard lessons about that sort of operation. The number of low-cost carriers that have succeeded in the intercontinental market is pretty slim (so far). There is also the question of how 'slack' in the market there is for that travel - intercontinental travel is much more expensive (not just for the flights) than within North America. Either they'll double down or cut their losses.

The best part of his tenure has been the Encore operation IMO. Westjet has seen the success of Porter Airlines model and has effectively minimized any chance that someone else might set up a similar operation out west. Also, it allows them to offer feed in flights to their operation from markets that were neglected or subject to Air Canada's previous monopoly. It cuts costs by allowing them to downsize their operations to marginal cities (running Q400s full is better than 737s half full) without completely destroying frequency.

So, I think Westjet should focus on domestic/North American operations and let the European experiment expire. Southwest hasn't expanded beyond the North America and I think they're happy to stay that way. Air Canada has improved domestically largely because of Westjet's competition and if Westjet becomes too preoccupied with European expansion, both airlines might enter that fat-and-happy stage of contentedness that results in Canadians getting the shaft from two uncompetitive airlines domestically.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 10:43 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Don't forget, they do a lot of sun flying. That may become far more hub oriented.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 11:47 PM

So how can a guy easily find what non-stop flights are available form say YQR or YEG on a date well into the future. No particular destination in mind just want non-stop flights. A lot of these flights to the US , Europe and sun destinations are only seasonal once or twice a week.

I cannot find an easy way to do this other than trial and error.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
So how can a guy easily find what non-stop flights are available form say YQR or YEG on a date well into the future. No particular destination in mind just want non-stop flights. A lot of these flights to the US , Europe and sun destinations are only seasonal once or twice a week.

I cannot find an easy way to do this other than trial and error.
Wikipedia entries for Canadian airports usually have very up to date lists of destinations served, including which ones are seasonal or not. Once you know the destinations, you can use Google Flights or individual airline websites to get specifics regarding date/fare info.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 1:15 PM

Quote:
I feel that Gregg Saretsky's tenure at Westjet as CEO has been hit-and-miss at best. He has expended tons of energy and goodwill in a dubious expansion to London.
The challenge WestJet faces is they had been doing seasonal leases on planes for flights to Hawaii. An opportunity came along to acquire four used 767 planes to replace the seasonal leases and WestJet jumped on that. The challenge is Hawaii is primarily a winter seasonal route from Canada. So what do you do with the 767 planes in the offseason? WestJet has experimented with some flights leaving the east coast and going to the UK with 737 planes in the past. The reception has been good so they decided to try the 767 to London routes including the bold move of running those routes from non-traditional cities. Time will tell if they keep them or refocus their route map for next summer.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 12:20 AM

Calgary's new Airport expansion is ready to open soon. This makes me anxious for YQR to expand. I am so curious to what the renders will look like!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 6:43 AM

WestJet model has been based on hubs from the beginning. Toss in some milk-runs. For years one of the regular flights in YXE started in London Ontari0 to Winnipeg, to Saskatoon to Calgary to Vancouver to Prince George.

They switched to a new computer system and started to add interlines and codeshares. Then regional flight and then wide body aircraft. The 767 demonstrated they don't know how to operate an airline with a small fleet of old aircraft. The obvious solution to that is a bigger fleet or new aircraft.

They are not rigidly tied to hubs but nearly all their flights from Saskatchewan are to hubs or they are tourist destinations.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 10:08 AM

So YXE is finally getting that domestic Maple Leaf Lounge. Excellent....

Mentioned in the closing remarks....

http://news.morningstar.com/all/cana...k-airport.aspx

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
So YXE is finally getting that domestic Maple Leaf Lounge. Excellent....

Mentioned in the closing remarks....

http://news.morningstar.com/all/cana...k-airport.aspx
While I'm happy to hear this - I'm curious why they would open a lounge in Saskatoon. They is very little connecting traffic and YXE is small enough that you can show up 45 minutes or less prior to your flight and still make it to the gate before boarding begins.

I wonder if it'll be the same situation as YQR - with no customer service reps?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino35 View Post
While I'm happy to hear this - I'm curious why they would open a lounge in Saskatoon. They is very little connecting traffic and YXE is small enough that you can show up 45 minutes or less prior to your flight and still make it to the gate before boarding begins.

I wonder if it'll be the same situation as YQR - with no customer service reps?
I would have expected something more like Quebec City. The lounge is operated by the airport authority and branded as both as a Maple Leaf, WestJet and American Express lounge. (Personally I think the food in the Quebec City is better than the other Maple Leaf Lounges).

I find it odd that AC is doing this on its own.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 3:35 PM

I think that this was posted somewhere earlier in this thread, but I heard yesterday from a source that works at YQR, that there is a belief Westjet will eventually offer a YQR - MSP flight using their Q400 aircraft. When this will happen is anybodies guess. It would be nice to have daily service to a US hub again. Hopefully this happens.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
I think that this was posted somewhere earlier in this thread, but I heard yesterday from a source that works at YQR, that there is a belief Westjet will eventually offer a YQR - MSP flight using their Q400 aircraft. When this will happen is anybodies guess. It would be nice to have daily service to a US hub again. Hopefully this happens.
That would be great, but still hoping for one or two more airlines to enter the Regina market and with this fail of New Leaf coming and then going, I am not hopeful right now with them having any useful service for Saskatchewan or any service at all. Just brutal.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
WestJet running Q400 flights between YQR - MSP would make sense. Reportedly some US airlines have contractual restricts with the pilots on the number of smaller panes they can use. Offloading some of those routes to WestJet would be a nice way around that.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
WestJet running Q400 flights between YQR - MSP would make sense. Reportedly some US airlines have contractual restricts with the pilots on the number of smaller panes they can use. Offloading some of those routes to WestJet would be a nice way around that.
I believe Delta is an all jet airline. The same extends to their regional operators. They do code-share on props operated by others including Alaska.

The Q400 is a very efficient aircraft. I do a Q400 from time to time between Victoria and Calgary and it is ok. I could see Encore making a YQR-MSP flight work especially if they had Delta code-share on the flight.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I believe Delta is an all jet airline. The same extends to their regional operators. They do code-share on props operated by others including Alaska.

The Q400 is a very efficient aircraft. I do a Q400 from time to time between Victoria and Calgary and it is ok. I could see Encore making a YQR-MSP flight work especially if they had Delta code-share on the flight.
Seems like best-case scenario at this point. Any odds on how likely it is? The current situation is untenable for Regina.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 8:41 PM

YQR CEO said on Global this am that it will be very difficult to get U.S. carriers back here unless the exchange rate turns around or the U.S. economy tanks again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan