HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 6:10 PM

The Conservative Party under Andrew Scheer

Probably warrants a new thread since we know who replaced Harper.

Seems to me he'll hold the CPC core vote of 32% or so - but it'll take some work for him to see a breakthrough in the major metropolitan areas.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 6:46 PM

This guy has zero chance against Trudeau.

source: cbc.ca

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 6:49 PM

With him as leader I don't see them gaining in the major cities and suburban areas abound them. If they cant do that they cant win.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 6:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post

Whoa wait....are you sure they replaced Harper? He kinda looks like Harper, expect without the gray lego hair and glasses.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 6:57 PM

I guess they wanted to keep that creepy fake joker smile look. Must be a party branding thing.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I might just be particularly ignorant about this guy but I find it interesting how so much coverage of him focuses on tired old issues that seem unlikely to get much political play. I have seen very little articulation of anything new and interesting, despite the fact that the world is rapidly changing.

For example, if you read his Wikipedia page and go down to the "political positions" section you'll see a list that includes his opinions things like same-sex marriage, marijuana, and abortion. He confirms that he holds suitably retrograde personal positions on most of those issues but then also says there isn't much he can do about them (they are mostly not viable federal political issues; the same-sex marriage ship sailed a decade ago). If his team is simply failing to put the good stuff up on Wikipedia then that is a bad sign on its own.

So... why bother with this candidate and party? The die-hard Conservative fans will accept that it's self-evident that the Liberals are terrible and the Conservatives would be an improvement, but everybody else? Did the Conservatives tacitly accept that their chances in the next election aren't great, and that they'll wait a few more years? Are the real candidates waiting, or is this it?

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The VICE article detailing his regressive, conservative positions has already been widely shared on FB and political chat forums here.

Newfoundland has fewer than 700 people in total who vote for the Conservative Party leadership, a fraction of those who participate for the Liberals. So it's difficult to say is Scheer could actually do well here.

That said, he oddly carried Labrador by more than 70% - the only local riding he came close to winning. So perhaps if the Conservatives run the correct local candidate, we could be knocked back to only six Liberal MPs next time around.

He also shared a surname with NTV's beloved weatherman so some idiots in every riding could throw him a vote for that indirect name recognition.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:13 PM

Watch the Nanos numbers in the next few weeks. They poll every Friday and on the following Tuesday release numbers that are averaged from the previous 4 polls, so their June 27th update will be the first Nanos poll that fully reflects Scheer being Conservative leader.

Generally new leaders get a bump in the polls for their party. Given that Scheer is relatively unknown outside the CPC base and most casual opinions of him among the public are negative (for example, the association with anti-marriage equality and anti-choice positions), I would expect there to be a fairly minimal bump, if any at all. Perhaps even a decline in CPC support, given that some could have been "parked" there expecting/hoping for a Bernier or Chong victory

It's really in the coming months that we'll see any sort of meaningful movement in this direction, once Scheer has time to define his brand.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Watch the Nanos numbers in the next few weeks. They poll every Friday and on the following Tuesday release numbers that are averaged from the previous 4 polls, so their June 27th update will be the first Nanos poll that fully reflects Scheer being Conservative leader.

Generally new leaders get a bump in the polls for their party. Given that Scheer is relatively unknown outside the CPC base and most casual opinions of him among the public are negative (for example, the association with anti-marriage equality and anti-choice positions), I would expect there to be a fairly minimal bump, if any at all. Perhaps even a decline in CPC support, given that some could have been "parked" there expecting/hoping for a Bernier or Chong victory

It's really in the coming months that we'll see any sort of meaningful movement in this direction, once Scheer has time to define his brand.

I'm interested to see in what does he stand for?

https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:51 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:

Thanks to vote splitting on the left, Conservatives will always have a good chance no matter how unpopular they are in this country. Good thing Trudeau promised to fix it....

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Whoa wait....are you sure they replaced Harper? He kinda looks like Harper, expect without the gray lego hair and glasses.
Get real - when did you ever see Harper with a smile like that on his face?

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Get real - when did you ever see Harper with a smile like that on his face?
source: https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.ne

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 8:44 PM

OK, I'll confess to being surprised that a little pussy could make Mr. Harper smile.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 8:46 PM

he won because of rural Quebec. Bernier lost because of gestion de l'offre.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 12:22 AM

His beliefs on social issues aren't really any different than Harper. During every federal election since 2004 the pro-life people I know all promoted Harper as the anti-abortion champion. He never did anything on that issue domestically, not even remotely close. The social conservatives believed in Harper on those issues every bit as much as they do Scheer.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:

Ok then.

Famous last words.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 12:33 AM

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Ok then.

Famous last words.
Ya. And yet I keep hearing on this thread how Conservatives are the angry negative ones. Oh well. haters gonna hate!

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 1:28 AM
I am a typical

He will only win if he abandons social conservatism, they way Patrick Brown has been doing in Ontario. A PC win in Ontario next year would bode well for CPC if they copy OPC tactics.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Ya. And yet I keep hearing on this thread how Conservatives are the angry negative ones. Oh well. haters gonna hate!
It's really sad that Canadian politics have become so vain that you can reliably predict electoral success by one's looks. Is this simply mandatory in the era of omnipresent media...? Will we grow past it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada