HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 4:28 PM

Here's news about 7th & Market (Ritz Carlton-Whole Foods) from the SDUT. A judge ruled in favor of the city, but the party that sued said that "at this point" they plan on appealing. The article says that the judgement also affected a 20-story, 324 hotel a block a way, but I didn't see a name or exact location for that hotel.

Quote:
City scores win in legal challenge over Ritz Carlton-Whole Foods project

Lori Weisberg - Contact Reporter - San Diego Union Tribune October 27, 2017

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...027-story.html

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
I feel bad for the guys trying to build this thing (Green and Co.). They went to great lengths to cooperate with the City.
Up until two years ago, the Convention Center Corp. controlled the land but backed out of a deal (to acquire the lease as part of there plan to expand the convention center) after a judge ruled that the plan to finance it with a hotel room tax hike was unconstitutional. The lawsuit claims that the City and the Corporation's default (on their payment obligations) voided any development rights the City has for the property and that their continued pursuit of the convention center expansion is a breach of the lease's terms. Appartantly since the City reneged on payments the developer is looking for another way to make money. I understood that the City was willing to ‘buy them out’ if they would to drop their hotel project and hand over the land they currently lease from the port. But apparently the hotel’s developers are holding out for a lot more money. So I don’t feel so sorry for them. The city is stuck in the middle of fight between one hotel developer and the other hotel owners, who are demanding that the city expand the convention center in order to generate more profits for them. The problem is there is no other practical place to expand the convention center. They had a plan that should have been valid. But the judge I feel incorrectly (and maybe illegally if there was a conflict of interest) stopped it. In retrospect placing the convention center right on the water was a bad idea. But I understand why they did it and times were really different then.

Last edited by ozone; Oct 28, 2017 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Up until two years ago, the Convention Center Corp. controlled the land but backed out of a deal (to acquire the lease as part of there plan to expand the convention center) after a judge ruled that the plan to finance it with a hotel room tax hike was unconstitutional. The lawsuit claims that the City and the Corporation's default (on their payment obligations) voided any development rights the City has for the property and that their continued pursuit of the convention center expansion is a breach of the lease's terms. Appartantly since the City reneged on payments the developer is looking for another way to make money. I understood that the City was willing to ‘buy them out’ if they would to drop their hotel project and hand over the land they currently lease from the port. But apparently the hotel’s developers are holding out for a lot more money. So I don’t feel so sorry for them. The city is stuck in the middle of fight between one hotel developer and the other hotel owners, who are demanding that the city expand the convention center in order to generate more profits for them. The problem is there is no other practical place to expand the convention center. They had a plan that should have been valid. But the judge I feel incorrectly (and maybe illegally if there was a conflict of interest) stopped it. In retrospect placing the convention center right on the water was a bad idea. But I understand why they did it and times were really different then.
I understand and agree, but ultimately the California Constitution takes precedence (which a ballot measure would do). Everything else is just noise if it passes. A citizen's initiative can pass with just 50% +1 now, this is due to a recent CA Supreme Court ruling. (Govs must still pass 2/3rds muster)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 7:20 AM
Category Five

Connector road proposed between MV & Serra Mesa (end of murray ridge road):

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...030-story.html

Does Mission Center Rd get that packed?

Now if they'd only construct the Regents bridge...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:25 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
Connector road proposed between MV & Serra Mesa (end of murray ridge road):

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...030-story.html

Does Mission Center Rd get that packed?

Now if they'd only construct the Regents bridge...
Thank goodness common sense prevailed over NIMBYs.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Thank goodness common sense prevailed over NIMBYs.
They can try to stop us but will always fail.,

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:01 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong bf, but wasn’t that here a proposal to bring rail to Hillcrest? I think I remember reading about that. If so, is there any way we will get to vote again? That area is super pedestrian friendly and is in need of rail or streetcar line. Yes construction on the road may cause closures and cause traffic but the benefits outweigh the costs and it just seems like some of our locals doesn’t seem to realize that.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:32 PM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
They can try to stop us but will always fail.,
It sure seems to me the SD NIMBYs are winning by a large margin. It's not even close.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
It sure seems to me the SD NIMBYs are winning by a large margin. It's not even close.
Yes, you’re right. Nothing here to see on this thread then so I’m sure you’d be happier posting on your Dallas Fort Worth thread where the world is rainbows for you instead of hanging out here in the dark bleak world of San Diego news. Adding repeated negative remarks without anything positive to say is super boring.

Please quit trolling.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 11:21 PM
Babylon falling

Could Joseph Tsai be our Savior?

He is CEO and second largest share holder of Ali Baba (Asia's Amazon) his current wealth is estimated at 11 billion and set to explode to possibly 30 billion in the coming decade or so. I don't know the history of why his wife and children live in San Diego and he is in Hong Kong mostly. I'm sure he jets back and forth on a private plane or meets them halfway in Hawaii quite often.

Wife and kids live in La Jolla I know she is very involved in the fine arts and the new performing arts center for the LJ music society being built on fay ave in the village. Now if Ali Baba continues to explode and needs a North American Headquarters would he consider putting it in Downtown SD?

He just bought the Brooklyn Nets. Everyone is saying now way he moves the team out of a huge market and brings them to tiny SD blah blah. BUT!! Clay Bennet moved Sonics from Seattle (granted it was just before there HUGE tech boom they've had the last 8 years) to very small Oklahoma City and guess what he is worth a fraction of Joseph Tsai.

Could Tsai pull a passion play and build an empire here in the East Village I'm thinking multiple 500 foot towers, maybe make a run at silly height limit, with an Arena for the relocated NBA team, his indoor Lacrosse team, and the Gulls....

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
Yes, you’re right. Nothing here to see on this thread then so I’m sure you’d be happier posting on your Dallas Fort Worth thread where the world is rainbows for you instead of hanging out here in the dark bleak world of San Diego news. Adding repeated negative remarks without anything positive to say is super boring.

Please quit trolling.
Huh, I thought the point of a forum was to share a variety of different points of view, not just to reinforce your already cemented point of view.

For what it's worth, I've been extremely positive about any and all pro-development things going on in San Diego, from One Paseo, to moving the airport, to UTC area development. I've even taken the time to draw (goofy) maps imagining what I thought SD could be:

The problem for me is that more often than not, this city's anti-development, anti-business proclivities, not to mention its government's overall ineptitude, give a skyscraper/urban enthusiast like myself very little to be enthusiastic about.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:08 AM
Category Five

^^ No line going down El Cajon Boulevard?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:49 AM

San Diego bay looks like a flaccid penis (^-^)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
^^ No line going down El Cajon Boulevard?
I had another, similar map featurings traditional trolley lines (rather than light rail), which had a loop that went north from Downtown up 4th or 5th, east through Hillcrest and along El Cajon, south through North Park and South Park, and then back west into Downtown through Golden Hill.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
The entire coast looks like an old miserable bird - the Bay is the mouth, Point Loma is the beak, Mission Bay are the eyes and LJ the forehead.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:37 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:37 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
The entire coast looks like an old miserable bird - the Bay is the mouth, Point Loma is the beak, Mission Bay are the eyes and LJ the forehead.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
Huh, I thought the point of a forum was to share a variety of different points of view, not just to reinforce your already cemented point of view.

For what it's worth, I've been extremely positive about any and all pro-development things going on in San Diego, from One Paseo, to moving the airport, to UTC area development. I've even taken the time to draw (goofy) maps imagining what I thought SD could be:

The problem for me is that more often than not, this city's anti-development, anti-business proclivities, not to mention its government's overall ineptitude, give a skyscraper/urban enthusiast like myself very little to be enthusiastic about.
So what you’re regularly saying is San Diego is hopeless so why waste time dropping your negative bait for posters here?
It’s only a point of view if you consider yours is completely negative regardless of the topic which is totally one sided.

Your posting record is pretty clear and I’m not the only one who’s called you out for trolling.

Different points of view are welcome but what you’re posting isn’t that and you know it. You’re trolling and dropping bait for anyone who will take it.

Don’t you have better things to do?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 9:47 PM
Registered San Diegan

For the record, I think I'm the negative nancy of the group. I will not let eburress steal my crown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations