HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Mandarin Oriental Hotel & Residences Atlanta in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Atlanta Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 7:59 PM

So that pannel looking thing will be on both sides??? This makes me even more excited because I thought it would only be on the side fronting Peachtree St. So, we will be able to see the design form the connector as well, awsome!!!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 12:15 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
Did you see this one earlier in the thread? About all there is right now
Yeah, I was just hoping there was a larger image of the lower right render floating around somewhere.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 12:54 AM
roma volo

this and 12th and midtown are great projects, but midtown still needs to fill in with mid-rise and high-rise before it becomes "dense". right now, across from one atlantic center, you have einsteins and a parking lot, next door to that an abandoned home, and so on and so on. i feel 'tall' is nice, but if alot of the lots sitting around in atlanta were replaced with not so tall projects like the mertopolis, atlanta would be on a roll. i want more dense than more tall, if we have a 1,000 ft. building next to a walgreens, what good does that do? for me, dense is better than tall. besides, think about atlanta if every lot between peachtree and the connector from 5th street to 17th was filled with 200-350 ft somethings, atlanta would be gorgeous.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 1:16 AM
The True Avatar

That is one gorgeous proposal!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 1:23 AM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleystreetindustry View Post
this and 12th and midtown are great projects, but midtown still needs to fill in with mid-rise and high-rise before it becomes "dense". right now, across from one atlantic center, you have einsteins and a parking lot, next door to that an abandoned home, and so on and so on. i feel 'tall' is nice, but if alot of the lots sitting around in atlanta were replaced with not so tall projects like the mertopolis, atlanta would be on a roll. i want more dense than more tall, if we have a 1,000 ft. building next to a walgreens, what good does that do? for me, dense is better than tall. besides, think about atlanta if every lot between peachtree and the connector from 5th street to 17th was filled with 200-350 ft somethings, atlanta would be gorgeous.
I understand your perspective and agree. That doesn't stop me from craving and lusting after TALL, though, and I'm delighted that this one may soar over 700 ft! This is, after all, a forum for skyscraper enthusiasts, and a proposal for a new 700 footer certainly fits the bill! I just can't get as excited about the 200 to 300 footers!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 1:44 AM
roma volo

Quote:
I understand your perspective and agree. That doesn't stop me from craving and lusting after TALL, though, and I'm delighted that this one may soar over 700 ft! This is, after all, a forum for skyscraper enthusiasts, and a proposal for a new 700 footer certainly fits the bill! I just can't get as excited about the 200 to 300 footers!
i understand, and plenty of 'tall' ones are nice.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleystreetindustry View Post
Atlanta is already gorgeous, you mean it would be more gorgeous.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 7:04 AM
Spire-ite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
There is also a huge benefit to having a core of development. With these projects, the stretch between 14th and 10th will start the development. Those blocks will be the draw. Then, it will likely trickle down Peachtree toward Spire, then lateral over to W Peachtree, and finally finish out south to North Ave. and the Fox. It is better to build densely in clusters to create a hub of people when you are trying to attract retail. If you can say you have a Mandarin, several hundred condos, and high end restaurants already on THE BLOCK, people lease space (not even mentioning the Four Seasons, W, Palomar, and almost 1000s of condos within walking distance).

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 11:20 AM

I noticed they show a different angle and removed the Mandarin logo since the deal is not yet signed. I can't tell if they intend to extend 13th street or if that's just a curve in the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Apr 19, 2007 at 11:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 1:07 PM
Back on the road again

Interesting. Might they only have the logo on the west elevation, to be visible to Andrea Connector traffic, and not the east elevation?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 1:07 PM
roma volo

Quote:
I noticed they show a different angle and removed the Mandarin logo since the deal is not yet signed. I can't tell if they intend to extend 13th street or if that's just a curve in the street.
i think they may extend the street because the building appears to be very narrow, and the space between it, the proscenium, and 1100 peachtree seems vast for such such a narrow base. some of you might not think so, but i think it is likely.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:02 PM

I don't think so because if you look at the rendering, the building directly south of the site (is that the 1100 peachtree building?) is almost directly adjacent to the building. And I remember Terminus saying something a while back about them building to the property line. Is this correct?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:27 PM

My .02$: MO is not going to 1138; it will end up a Shangri La or something similar.

Last edited by micropundit; Apr 19, 2007 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post
My .02$: MO is not going to 1138; it will end up a Shagri La or something similar.
Based upon...?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 3:19 PM

Just my gut: these deals are worked on years in advance and if they haven't signed them by now.. . Plus , if you re-read the ABC article,Scott says IF it isn't a MO it will be a 5-star operator(?) and no other media has picked the story up even after the front page piece ; no real estate publications like Globestreet.com, nothing. So there you have it-my gut.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 2:09 PM

So, supposedly there's been discussion on other Atlanta threads that this design/building is not to be the Mandarin Oriental. Does that mean they chose another site or that they are not building one in Atlanta?

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 2:22 PM

Even in the premature ABC article, its clearly stated that no deal has been signed.

I've been told that these hotels deals can be pretty complicated. I recall that it was probably more than a year after it was known that Barry was in talks with the W for Allen Plaza before the deal was signed.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; May 31, 2007 at 1:28 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:09 PM

The Mandarin Oriental's organizational website shows developments up through 2010. Atlanta is not in the list.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
The Mandarin Oriental's organizational website shows developments up through 2010. Atlanta is not in the list.
The American proposals only go up through 2009, and if I remember correctly, 1138 Peachtree wasn't due to be delivered until 2010, since as of yet there has been no activity on the site. Construction was rumored to start in 2008 anyway.

From the latest information I've heard though, 1138 is indeed not going to be a MO, however I do believe they are going to be building in Atlanta somewhere (they are moving their headquarters down here...why wouldn't they have a hotel here?).

Rumors have thus far pointed farther north to Buckhead for the current time but pretty much everything is speculation at this point until a firm announcement is made. At any rate, I wouldn't expect it to be operational until at least 2010...

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 11:21 PM
roma volo

i don't understand as to why mandarin oriental would move their headquarters to the city but not build a crown jewel on peachtree. it would be a great project to kick start the relocation and let atlantans know who they are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive