HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 12:25 AM

Welp, we don't need Dave and Buster's anymore!

What Main Event Entertainment Looks Like

They also have rock climbing

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 10:19 PM

It appears in order to gain approval, they've agreed to make it more pedestrian friendly and connected to the street for the La Quinta proposal.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...onroe_83394729

Quote:
The developer of a proposed LaQuinta Inn & Suites that would face Union and back up to Monroe agreed Thursday to redesign the hotel’s rear to be more appealing to pedestrians along Monroe.

The Land Use Control Board voted to recommend that the Memphis City Council grant a special-use permit for the development at 310 Union, but only after amending the request to include that the hotel have a “distinctive pedestrian entry” on the Monroe side.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 11:10 PM

New Bass Pro video tour:
https://vimeo.com/119460678

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 5:48 AM

For those interested in Memphis development, I'm beginning an interest group I hope becomes more popular over time. We have discussed rail and transportation issues at length here, but even if I don't always live in my home state I want to see things progress and get better.

So, I've began a new proposal and hope others get interested in talking about it. The new blog is called Memphis Transport, and its also a Facebook group if anyone wants to become a member.

memphistransport.wordpress.com is the address, come on over and check out the concept.

This is the routing of a potential streetcar modernization project I've come up with.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:42 AM

Memphis City Council approves funds for Raleigh Springs Mall redevelopment
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:
At Tuesday's meeting, the Memphis City Council approved nearly $24 million for the redevelopment of the Raleigh Springs Mall. The project, dubbed the Raleigh Town Center, would demolish the mall and replace it with a new police precinct, a new library as well as retail space.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ings-mall.html

Photo: Alan Howell | MBJ

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:49 AM

Crowne Plaza coming to East Memphis
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:
After an $8.5 million project is completed, the hotel will be known as the Crowne Plaza Memphis East Hotel. The renovation is expected to begin soon and will be completed by the end of the year. Texas-based Jubilee Hotels Group acquired the 218,000-square-foot, 319-room hotel.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...t-memphis.html

Photo: InterContinental Hotels Group

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:08 AM

i think the proposed change of the hotel is great, i think, too, that the grounds look fairly well manicured. perhaps it is just how my eyes see it, but that sign really looks "cheap", but i'm sure the new sign won't be of the same grade, according to the budget w/ which they are working. it also will probably be good to get away from that very creative name, "the memphis hotel". someone really wanted to get creative and to the point w/ that one.

doe anyone know if the old holiday inn is soon to be undergoing its proposed renovations, at baptist research center. according to plans, it is still on the list or redos. also, a few weeks ago, i believe, the paper was reporting on the horizon project and mentioned in the same paragraph that the other new tower would be closer in to main street. as the article was describing the work on the horizon changes on both inside and outside, the article sounded as if the other building (horizon II) would face south and rest between what would be the one beale project, north of the possible II highrise it would face much of the new construction, the horizon I and the other high rise next to the rivermark (that may be the wrong name for the rivermark. finally, any news about the phoenix royal's 11 story hilton. that 139 feet ht. of the forum is beginning to really loose perspective, due to so many 3, 4, and 5 story condos, businesses, both retail and office---then throw in the single story housing, and the eye begins to starve for relief. as a literal backdrop of highrise buildings traveling from the river past the westin and the peabody, and finally the radison ends up acting somewhat like a curtain, and therefore, begins to visually stop the eye from that point into the neighborhood. i really like peabody place, as it is different, and i like the round building particularly, along w/ the window placements, and the different floors, the various concepts of the building, etc. it is shameful some upscale stores such as nordstroms, the cheesecake factory, and some other upscale shopping.
that would pull locals and visitors, etc. into the area.

Last edited by kingchef; Feb 19, 2015 at 9:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 5:25 AM

Memphis Biz Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...rtnership.html

Quote:
]The new $198 million tower on the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital campus is officially open and boasts two new big name naming rights partners
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...rtnership.html

Memphis Biz Journal

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:30 PM

Additional rendering of the Crosstown building appearing in coverage of the official redevelopment groundbreaking this weekend.

Crosstown to hold groundbreaking Feb. 21
High Ground News

http://www.highgroundnews.com/devnew...dbreaking.aspx

Looney Ricks Kiss

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Feb 22, 2015 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
^ Way ahead of you (but I need to update the rendering).

Recently saw this proposal for San Diego, It's a ferris wheel like attraction that's not a wheel but tower. Maybe south end of Mud Island? still like the wheel incorporated into the Landing

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 4:22 PM

Sears Crosstown groundbreaking ceremony was held yesterday - the project is now known as "Crosstown Concourse."

Crosstown Concourse already building up neighborhood

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...rhood_92304919

Quote:
The groundbreaking for the newly christened Crosstown Concourse on Saturday was just a ceremony. But the $200 million transformation of the old Sears Crosstown building has already caused an economic and social ground-shaking in the long-suffering Crosstown neighborhood squeezed between Midtown and I-40.

It’s a vertical, mixed-use development that marries big Memphis money, proven Memphis developers and aspirations that are almost utopian.

Grand opening is two years away, yet the first 16 tenants to commit already consume 65 percent of the 1.1 million square feet.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 8:21 PM

Since this has become the all-things-Memphis topic for the time being, I thought I'd link the news that Memphis International is adding ultra-low cost carrier Allegiant. My personal opinion is that the airport is adding carriers more quickly than most other de-hubbed airports have in the past. This combined with the airport's new terminal makeover will go a long way toward better air service in Memphis. Despite Delta's departure, I think it will be a better situation in a few years when several low cost carriers compete for service vs. Delta's overpriced hub. Granted there won't be the same number of non-stop flights ever again (unless Southwest or another airline creates significant service), but needless to say with all the additions MEM is going to have competitive airfare for the first time in ages.

Allegiant isn't known for its outstanding service, its a discounter for sure, but I very much support these discounters with their competition. The first flights to Orlando are being advertised for roughly $100 round trip, not including bags. This will most certainly boost O&D passenger counts. It also will help Memphis maintain its international presence, as Allegiant is known for having flights to Central American and Caribbean vacation locations. While it may not start out as international flights, MEM could be a good market to fly to international vacation destinations in the future.

http://wreg.com/2015/02/24/allegiant...mphis-flights/

Quote:
Low cost airline Allegiant Air coming to Memphis

Posted 6:27 am, February 24, 2015, by Richard Holden, Updated at 07:14am, February 24, 2015
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Low-cost airline Allegiant Air is advertising on its website new routes to Memphis beginning in May.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold View Post
Since this has become the all-things-Memphis topic for the time being, I thought I'd link the news that Memphis International is adding ultra-low cost carrier Allegiant. My personal opinion is that the airport is adding carriers more quickly than most other de-hubbed airports have in the past. This combined with the airport's new terminal makeover will go a long way toward better air service in Memphis. Despite Delta's departure, I think it will be a better situation in a few years when several low cost carriers compete for service vs. Delta's overpriced hub. Granted there won't be the same number of non-stop flights ever again (unless Southwest or another airline creates significant service), but needless to say with all the additions MEM is going to have competitive airfare for the first time in ages.

Allegiant isn't known for its outstanding service, its a discounter for sure, but I very much support these discounters with their competition. The first flights to Orlando are being advertised for roughly $100 round trip, not including bags. This will most certainly boost O&D passenger counts. It also will help Memphis maintain its international presence, as Allegiant is known for having flights to Central American and Caribbean vacation locations. While it may not start out as international flights, MEM could be a good market to fly to international vacation destinations in the future.

http://wreg.com/2015/02/24/allegiant...mphis-flights/
Well, there's more room on an Allegiant plane than Spirit. Having had them in XNA a number of years, if Southwest offers a similar product at a little higher fare, they win. However, once you figure out Allegiant's way of doing things, It can save you big dollars. It will Certainly put pressure on Delta's remaining Vegas nonstop and likely on the remaining Saturday only nonstop to Orlando. I don't think Southwest will be effected much on its daily nonstop to MCO but it might effect the added non daily seasonal they had announced. I would still like to see Southwest off Vegas nonstops if to just connect to west coast cities and I still think a flight that stopped in Memphis between a St. Louis and New Orleans would be nice.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 9:05 PM

Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
Sears Crosstown groundbreaking ceremony was held yesterday - the project is now known as "Crosstown Concourse."

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
Well, there's more room on an Allegiant plane than Spirit. Having had them in XNA a number of years, if Southwest offers a similar product at a little higher fare, they win. However, once you figure out Allegiant's way of doing things, It can save you big dollars. It will Certainly put pressure on Delta's remaining Vegas nonstop and likely on the remaining Saturday only nonstop to Orlando. I don't think Southwest will be effected much on its daily nonstop to MCO but it might effect the added non daily seasonal they had announced. I would still like to see Southwest off Vegas nonstops if to just connect to west coast cities and I still think a flight that stopped in Memphis between a St. Louis and New Orleans would be nice.
Southwest is hands down king of semi-low cost. They aren't as cheap as they used to be, but with included bags and no change fees (other than difference in fare) they have won me over in terms of customer service. They may not have first class, but I never flew first class before and probably can't afford it going forward. Delta's new 5 tier system where they have cattle class, semi-cattle class, acceptable economy class, then business and first class I don't know will work that well. Who wants to pay for bags and seating for a seat with no extra room? We will see how it works for them. Delta's new model for business is prime example of an industry that doesn't have enough competition since they're squeezing and profiteering at every corner.

Allegiant isn't known for good service, lets just be honest its a cut rate air carrier. But these airlines perform a valuable service by providing competition and choice. And I hear they have a good maintenance record with mostly new aircraft, so it isn't all bad. I hope JetBlue and Spirit both join in and expand by beginning a MEM presence.

There is a lot of potential with the new terminal plans. The airport is still significantly large even with the gates being demolished. The airport will have over 60 functional gates, which still has capacity to operate as a hub airport. It will by far and away still be the largest airport in the state, albeit without the passenger count up in Nashville due to Southwest's influence there. However, Nashville's airport just has over 40 gates, MEM will still be 50% larger even after the demolishing of the several gates.

So... There's a lot of capacity in MEM that will be available if one of these carriers wants to create a new southern presence. Its the second most populated part of the USA, so its unlikely only two hubs will be enough capacity for this region between Charlotte and Atlanta. 4 airlines isn't enough, there eventually will be a new player that will want to compete for those passenger dollars. MEM isn't just the largest passenger terminal in Tennessee, it will still be the largest in the south (minus Florida) outside Charlotte and Atlanta by far. Nashville, Norfolk, Raleigh, Greensboro/Winston Salem, Birmingham, Little Rock, New Orleans: all these cities have passenger terminals a fraction of the size of MEM. When the terminal looks world class with its upgrades and there's all this capacity, MEM will be highly attractive to an airline looking to have a southern presence to compete with American and Delta. Memphis is the only airport in this region with an oil refinery that can deliver fuel direct from the refinery to the airport for jet fuel as well. There's a lot of perks in MEM despite Delta's abandonment.

Last edited by Dr Nevergold; Feb 24, 2015 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold View Post
Southwest is hands down king of semi-low cost. They aren't as cheap as they used to be, but with included bags and no change fees (other than difference in fare) they have won me over in terms of customer service. They may not have first class, but I never flew first class before and probably can't afford it going forward. Delta's new 5 tier system where they have cattle class, semi-cattle class, acceptable economy class, then business and first class I don't know will work that well. Who wants to pay for bags and seating for a seat with no extra room? We will see how it works for them.

Allegiant isn't known for good service, lets just be honest its a cut rate air carrier. But these airlines perform a valuable service by providing competition and choice. And I hear they have a good maintenance record with mostly new aircraft, so it isn't all bad. I hope JetBlue and Spirit both join in and expand by beginning a MEM presence.

There is a lot of potential with the new terminal plans. The airport is still significantly large even with the gates being demolished. The airport will have over 60 functional gates, which still has capacity to operate as a hub airport. It will by far and away still be the largest airport in the state, albeit without the passenger count up in Nashville due to Southwest's influence there. However, Nashville's airport just has over 40 gates, MEM will still be 50% larger even after the demolishing of the several gates.

So... There's a lot of capacity in MEM that will be available if one of these carriers wants to create a new southern presence. Its the second most populated part of the USA, so its unlikely only two hubs will be enough capacity for this region between Charlotte and Atlanta. 4 airlines isn't enough, there eventually will be a new player that will want to compete for those passenger dollars and MEM has the most capacity outside CLT and ATL by far in the south (not including Florida).

They, Allegiant, are purchasing some used A319s. They don't buy new aircraft. If the routes are successful, they'll add extra capacity during the peak times with another flight or two on a seasonal basis. Like I said, I hope for New Orleans from someone. I think Spirit is the one that does lots of the island and south of the border flights but with 28 inch pitch seats unless you ante up. Southwest is starting international. Memphis has it's Baltimore and Houston connections for that but Fort Lauderdale will be another when the new international terminal is done, that's why I think you'll see a Southwest flight to Ft. Lauderdale eventually. I hope for some west coast directs as well. Memphis can siphon off Little Rock and Jackson customers like other airports had been during. I don't anyone really knows just how much an O&D airport Memphis can be. I'd really like to see Southern Airways expand into places like Branson. That private Branson airport is going out and getting charters to fly scheduled routes for them. They recently announced flights to Cincy and New Orleans on smaller jets. If they even think a Branson to Austin flight is feasible, it would have to be for Memphis too.

http://bransonairexpress.com/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 12:06 AM

I think this is somewhat big news for Beale St. Landing.

European River Cruising specialist and moving in on the Mississippi. Viking is going to build up to six boats to be based out of New Orleans. They'll hold around 300 and Memphis stops are a given. This on top of American adding a second paddlewheeler. So, we are going from two boats to up to possibly 9 in under a decade.

This should get Memphis to thinking not only about capturing additional days from passengers that come up from New Orleans and disembark and the air service they may need to get back to where they are going, but enhancing Mud Island like we have opined about here. I go back to the Ferris Wheel or even that other thing I posted but back to the faux historic trolleys to shuttle the on shore guests through out downtown as well

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:07 AM

I'm in no way an airline expert, just an observer who can read between the lines. I suppose I've heard wrong about Allegiant aircraft, maybe what I had heard once upon a time is that they are newer than some of the aircraft some of the traditional carriers still fly. Delta is still flying 30 year old MD80/88 models.

I'm not sure what maximum potential Memphis has as an O&D market, but I certainly believe its traditionally been suppressed. All hub airports tend to have higher costs for the local customers due to their quasi-monopoly status. The airport authorities bend over backwards - in all hub markets - to satisfy their job-generating, passenger-count generating hub carriers. Every single airport that has lost a hub has faced similar problems as MEM, many faring worse. There's only one common denominator among the successes: Southwest. Southwest has saved Nashville and St Louis from total passenger count collapse and ended up creating hub (aka focus city) operations in those cities.

I'm not sure MEM will see significant increases in passengers again without Southwest significantly increasing service, but I was just pointing out that it has great potential. Generally good weather and terrific on time performance, low cost of operation/airport has low debt load meaning lower fees for passengers and airlines, and the largest passenger terminal in the southeast outside Atlanta, Charlotte, and Florida. MEM's elegant looking reconstruction of the terminal will make it quite the impressive facility.

If an airport with these advantages can't get more than 3-5 million passengers a year, its a sad era in flight.

Edit: I see that Allegiant is not the international/Caribbean airline. That's Spirit... So, I suppose no cheap sun getaways await.

Last edited by Dr Nevergold; Feb 25, 2015 at 4:51 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 5:20 AM

Allegiant has also bought 2 A320s from Philipines Airline.

They pay cash for their planes, by the way.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:45 PM

Could New Daisy become a House Of Blues. Plans are to redevelop it into a national Bran music venue article states renovation was to start this year 2015. New owner & New management.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/NewsBlog...ook-management

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations