HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:23 AM
Mr. Technology

Surely there needs to be a way for the Chrysler Building to collect some revenue from the observation deck.

I guarantee that 100% of all visitors will be there for the up-close view of the majestic Chrysler Building. In particular, the illumination at night will become the most photographed building in the entire city.

Also, at that height, the Empire State Building is predicted to also be photographed as well.
To the north, we will also have an incredible view of 432 Park (another fav of mine) will also be a photography favorite among visitors.

What is difficult to predict is how much revenue this observation deck will collect compared to the other observation decks throughout Manhattan.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:05 AM

No matter what gets built in New York, I find it highly likely that the Empire State Building's observation deck remains the most visited in New York, if only for the iconic status. The Empire State Building is more of an icon than One Vanderbilt or 30 Hudson Yards will ever be. However, this makes 5 decks in New York, which is a lot. And a very good thing at that. The real appeal of all of the decks is the views. The downside of the ESB, New York's most photographed landmark, is that the building itself is not visible. Part of the appeal of Top of the Rock is how good the Empire State Building looks.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:16 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I have a feeling 30 Hudson deck will be wildly popular. A better version of Top of the Rock.

And its an open observation. I think thats one reason why 1 WTC isn't as dynamic. I'd take Top of the Rock any day over 1 WTC. One of my favorite decks. I personally have only been to the ESB deck twice, but top of the rock like 10 times. I think 30 Hudson will be similar.

Actually, Rockefeller centers deck is underrated. Its way better than the ESB, and its really not crowded. ESB is a mad house.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Surely there needs to be a way for the Chrysler Building to collect some revenue from the observation deck.

I guarantee that 100% of all visitors will be there for the up-close view of the majestic Chrysler Building. In particular, the illumination at night will become the most photographed building in the entire city.

Also, at that height, the Empire State Building is predicted to also be photographed as well.
To the north, we will also have an incredible view of 432 Park (another fav of mine) will also be a photography favorite among visitors.

What is difficult to predict is how much revenue this observation deck will collect compared to the other observation decks throughout Manhattan.
It will get some revenue from tourists, but if I remember correctly, it won't stay open as late as the ESB, doubling as event space (where they will no doubt make money as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
No matter what gets built in New York, I find it highly likely that the Empire State Building's observation deck remains the most visited in New York, if only for the iconic status. The Empire State Building is more of an icon than One Vanderbilt or 30 Hudson Yards will ever be. However, this makes 5 decks in New York, which is a lot. And a very good thing at that. The real appeal of all of the decks is the views. The downside of the ESB, New York's most photographed landmark, is that the building itself is not visible. Part of the appeal of Top of the Rock is how good the Empire State Building looks.
The thing about the observation decks is that they don't all offer the same thing. The views from each (and the upcoming decks) are different, each taking in their corner of Manhattan. I honestly think that the new decks won't diminish the crowds at the ESB or the WTC. I remember when the deck at 30 Rock reopened, is was the least crowded of the deck experiences. These days, you have to wait your turn on the deck to get that great photograph or view. It has become as crowded as the others. It will be interesting to see what form the deck takes here, and exactly where up on the tower the outdoor portion will be. I doubt we will be seeing anything like what we will see at 30 Hudson, but there maybe another unexpected draw.

30 Hudson

Earlier concepts for One Vanderbilt

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:57 AM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post

Seriously? Does a ferarri get paid because I enjoy looking at it? Does a beautiful woman get a dollar if I glance at her? Dude, this is basic stuff here...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 4:54 AM

the Chrysler design is so utterly complex & superior, . .
so defining and elevating in every way to the image of NYC . .
it should be tax exempt . .
and have its extensive crown maintenance costs
be for paid by the city . . ESB also . .
It'll be great to get that close up view atop One Vanny . .
which is also contributing immensely to our great skyline.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Actually, Rockefeller centers deck is underrated. Its way better than the ESB, and its really not crowded. ESB is a mad house.
On TripAdvisor (which I admit is only a semi-valid source on all of your travel needs) Top of the Rock is ranked as the 4th best sight in New York, while the Empire State Building is 12th, or 10th if you think that "walking tours" and "Broadway shows" as vague categories shouldn't count. Top of the Rock definitely gets its fair share of visitors, if not as much as ESB. Even still, it's definitely not underrated in any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The thing about the observation decks is that they don't all offer the same thing. The views from each (and the upcoming decks) are different, each taking in their corner of Manhattan. I honestly think that the new decks won't diminish the crowds at the ESB or the WTC. I remember when the deck at 30 Rock reopened, is was the least crowded of the deck experiences. These days, you have to wait your turn on the deck to get that great photograph or view. It has become as crowded as the others.
Does One World Trade Center get a huge amount of visitors? When I was at the 9/11 Memorial/Museum over the summer, I walked by the base of 1WTC along the side facing the Memorial and the side facing the World financial Center, and I didn't see any sort of line for the observation deck. At the Empire State Building, on the other hand, I've seen the lines go outside of the building (fast pass FTW). I'm sure it does get a lot, as it is not only the tallest building in America, but it's also in New York and not far from the Statue of Liberty. However, if I recall, it's pretty damn expensive, even by New York standard.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 4:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Does One World Trade Center get a huge amount of visitors? When I was at the 9/11 Memorial/Museum over the summer, I walked by the base of 1WTC along the side facing the Memorial and the side facing the World financial Center, and I didn't see any sort of line for the observation deck. At the Empire State Building, on the other hand, I've seen the lines go outside of the building (fast pass FTW). I'm sure it does get a lot, as it is not only the tallest building in America, but it's also in New York and not far from the Statue of Liberty. However, if I recall, it's pretty damn expensive, even by New York standard.

The decks are all pretty much in the same category, pricewise. As for lines at the WTC, there really shouldn't be. It operates the same as 30 Rock, tickets are sold by time. There is a line to buy tickets, but nothing like the old days at the ESB. All of the decks are crowded once you get up there, so you just have to have patience. The deck at One Vanderbilt will probably have a good year or so before the tourist army learns about those views of the Chrysler and it becomes just as crowded as the others.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The decks are all pretty much in the same category, pricewise. As for lines at the WTC, there really shouldn't be. It operates the same as 30 Rock, tickets are sold by time. There is a line to buy tickets, but nothing like the old days at the ESB. All of the decks are crowded once you get up there, so you just have to have patience. The deck at One Vanderbilt will probably have a good year or so before the tourist army learns about those views of the Chrysler and it becomes just as crowded as the others.
You're probably right about 1 Vanderbilt.

As for the crowds, yes... Sunset at Top of the Rock... You get your spot, and stand there. Move one foot and someone else takes your space. I was the only one in my group that wasn't miserable.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 1:07 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
That is exactly how I feel.
The Chrysler is an exceptional building so grand, it was replicated in Philadelphia as Liberty Place.
That's an honor to have another city salute the majestic Chrysler Building with their own.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 2:36 AM

I was looking at those pictures above and was thinking. What if the entire top section was open air with only the steal structure and maybe some glass in the way of your view. It would give the entire top section an adventure type feel kind of like mountain climbing. The best views would be the summit of the mountain. Maybe it will be more appealing to thrill seekers. Is this possible? Will it scare people away?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 3:57 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darias060 View Post
I was looking at those pictures above and was thinking. What if the entire top section was open air with only the steal structure and maybe some glass in the way of your view. It would give the entire top section an adventure type feel kind of like mountain climbing. The best views would be the summit of the mountain. Maybe it will be more appealing to thrill seekers. Is this possible? Will it scare people away?
That sounds like fun actually!!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 6:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Multiple areas where there could be open deck...

https://skyscrapercenter.com/buildin...nderbilt/15833

http://www.wsj.com/articles/s-l-gree...ers-1481371221

S.L. Green Proposes to Trade Its One Vanderbilt for Two Other Towers
J.P. Morgan Chase would hand over two Midtown towers for the S.L. Green building, now being built

By PETER GRANT
Dec. 10, 2016

Quote:
Landlord SL Green Realty Corp., which pulled off one of New York’s biggest office deals of 2016, is again sensing opportunity in the financial-services sector.

SL Green earlier this year proposed to J.P. Morgan Chase a complicated deal in which the bank essentially would swap its two headquarters buildings—383 Madison Ave. and 277 Park Ave.—for SL Green’s 1.75 million square-foot office tower that recently broke ground known as One Vanderbilt.

The bank has been considering the plan, but so far negotiations haven’t commenced, these people said.

SL Green has hit pay dirt with major financial services companies in the past. This year, it sold its two-building complex at 388-390 Greenwich St. to Citigroup Inc. for $2 billion. Citigroup, which had been leasing the complex, bought the building as part of efforts to consolidate and cut costs in the New York area.

Cutting a deal with J.P. Morgan poses a bigger challenge for SL Green because the bank—as the owner of its two buildings—has no need to move.

Still, J.P. Morgan made it clear it would consider the right deal two years ago when it negotiated with the city and state of a package of incentives that would enable it to move into Related Cos.’ Hudson Square development on Manhattan’s West Side. That deal collapsed partly because not enough subsidies were offered.

SL Green might soon be joined by a partner in its efforts to lure J.P. Morgan to One Vanderbilt. SL Green chief executive Marc Holliday said at an investor conference last Monday that the company was negotiating to sell a 28% stake in One Vanderbilt to a foreign investor.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 4:58 PM
World Machine

Not sure that would make sense for JPMC - they own the preexisting properties cited, they'd still have 270 Park (which is the technical HQ) and frankly 383 Madison is a relatively young building which fulfills the needs of the company's investment banking operations perfectly well.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 6:07 AM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 2:14 PM
Registered Tadd

funny idea-- tax free status for most beautiful building

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
It would be amusing if the city offered a tax deal for the most appreciated building in the city. Think of the competition that could bring. Who would judge it? Just having photos of it show up in one of the photo-web sites might not be best, people take pictures of the most awful things (war vs peace).
Verizon could foot the costs of all this, having already contributed to the skyline themselves haha. JK

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 2:33 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.glasscanadamag.com/archit...anderbilt-4391

Quote:
GSM Project is announcing its collaboration with SL Green Realty Corp. on the design of the upcoming observation deck experience at One Vanderbilt, a 1,401-foot skyscraper scheduled to open in New York City in 2020.

One Vanderbilt will be located just west of Manhattan's Grand Central Terminal and will be home to an observation deck sitting more than 1,000 feet above the city. Featuring an indoor and outdoor experience, the observation deck, directly connected to Grand Central, will offer spectacular views and notable proximity to important landmarks like the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building.

"We are excited to be working with GSM Project on the development of the observation experience at One Vanderbilt," said Robert Schiffer, Managing Director, SL Green Realty Corp. "The GSM team brings a depth of knowledge and perspective that has really allowed us to push our collective thinking and explore the potential of the space in exciting ways. We're certain that this collaboration will result in the most exciting observation deck experience in the world."

"This is an incredible opportunity to take the observation experience to the next level" said Yves Mayrand, President and Chief Creative Officer, GSM Project. "Being connected to such an iconic hub and landmark, in a location that will offer the best views of all of New York City – and starting with a clean slate offered by a new build – we really have the freedom to create an integrated and holistic experience for visitors."'

Some of their work...

https://www.gsmproject.com/en/projec...ervation-decks

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 2:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 6:15 PM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2016/12/21/pfizer-...rters-complex/

Pfizer is auditioning brokers to sell its headquarters complex

By Lois Weiss
December 21, 2016

Quote:
...For Pfizer’s current city employees, a local move to the reinvented 390 Madison or soon-to-be 1 Vanderbilt may become the best temptation, so any offers to buy the Pfizer buildings from their developers, L&L and SL Green, respectively, may also come as a package deal with a lease for those properties.

But if Pfizer needs splashier surroundings, it could focus on Hudson Yards and a similar swap-like pact with Related, Moinian or Tishman Speyer, albeit some of the towers won’t be ready in 2019. Silverstein’s new 2 World Trade Center would also have a longer move-in horizon.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 10:48 PM
Mr. Technology

As much as I want to see Larry Silverstein succeed with securing an anchor for 2 WTC, I agree with your post.

Personally, I find One Vanderbilt to be a very exciting location.
Right across from Grand Central, an Apple retail store, the Times Square Shuttle, lots of dining options (including the Cipriani), etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive