HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy View Post
i've taken numerous people's ideas under advisement and version 2.0 will be out soon!

It's going to be better than ever.

Good Luck! You'll never please everyone.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 2:50 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Haha this was a quick one done by me (hopefully I didn't steal your fire npingguy)
  1. Canada Line Extension:
    Richmond - Brighouse (renamed to Richmond Centre)
    Brighouse (beginning of extension)
    Blundell
    Francis
    Williams
    No. 4 Rd
    No. 5 Rd - Ironwood (Terminus Station)
  2. Expo Line Extension:
    Guilford
    160 St.
  3. Whiterock RapidBus: Whiterock/No.5 Rd STN/Marine Drive LRS/VCC-Clark
  4. King George Light Rail: Whiterock/King George STN/Surrey Central STN/Guilford STN/160th ST STN (I forgot to draw the 160 ST part of the line on the map)
  5. Newton Light Rail: 72nd St STN/152nd Street/Guilford STN/Riverview/Coquitlam Central STN
  6. South of Fraser RapidBus: 56th LRS/Langley/200ST EXCHANGE/Pitt Medows/Coquitlam Central STN
  7. Fraser Highway RapidBus: 160th ST STN/160th St/Fraser Highway/Langley
  8. Gateway RapidBus: Lougheed STN/Brunette LRS/160ST STN/200ST EXCHANGE
  9. UBC RapidBus: UBC STN/41st Avenue/Joyce-Collingwood STN/BCIT/Brentwood STN/Hastings/SFU/Production-SFU STN
  10. Arbutus Light Rail: West Van - North Van/Waterfront STN/Burrard STN/Arbutus/Marine Drive/Marine Way/22nd ST STN/8th Avenue New West/Braid STN/Brunette/Lougheed/Riverview/Coquitlam Central STN
  11. Downtown StreetCar
  12. Hastings Light Rail: Stanley Park/Hastings Street/Willingdon
  13. Spirit West Coast Express Line:
    Double Tracked
    Extension to Abbotsford
    Improvement of Stations
  14. Interurban West Coast Express Line:
    Abbotsford
    Langley
    72st LRS
    Scott Road
    (just only some of the many stations)
Future Extensions:
  1. Interurban West Coast Express Line to Tsawwasen
  2. Newton Light Rail extension to 22nd Street Station (via Alex Fraser)
  3. Extension of Hastings LRT to Marine Way Crossing via Willingdon/Dea Lake Parkway/Royal Oak/Underneth SkyTrain/Griffiths/South Ridge/Bryne

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 4:18 AM

I like it deasine!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 4:34 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
I like it deasine!
I just noticed everything's flying off the map >=/

The South of Fraser = a lot of influence from the plans you had on ur blog =D

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 8:55 AM

Not at all, deasine - the more the merrier!

Incidentally, here is Version 2.0 of mine!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.917358&z=11

Substantial improvements and enhancements. The only thing I'm still missing is the WCE with proper extensions to Chilliwack.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 7:39 AM

That new map covers pretty much everything. Good job npinguy.

I'm just wondering, there are quite a few lines running N-S in Vancouver. I don't live near there, so I'm not too familiar with the area. Are that many lines really nessesary for a similar route?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 8:19 AM
loafing in lotusland

i find it amusing that there is a one seat ride from Wealthy Kerrisdale to Wealthy West Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 10:41 PM

people in tsawassen would not take a train to king george and then take the skytrain downtown. right now the 601 is way faster than that could be.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
i find it amusing that there is a one seat ride from Wealthy Kerrisdale to Wealthy West Vancouver.
"wealthy"'s got NOTHING to do with it. _DENSE_ is the key operating word.

Look at this density map of Vancouver:

That "one seat ride" you referred to can only be the Green Arbutus Line i have on my map. Well that line links 3 of the biggest dark splotches on the map (other than Downtown, of course) - Marpole, Kerrisdale, and South Granville. The area near Kits beach isn't covered yet but it already is 10 mins away by bus from downtown, so it's not a big oversight.

It also hits up that fairly dense area near Marine drive between Main and Victoria

That density map might also explain to mr. x2 why I put a "Victoria-Knight" line for the East side as well. That purple Victoria-Knight line covers a pretty dense part of the east side.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 5:49 PM
loafing in lotusland

Oh, I wasn't talking about density at all... I was merely meaning that it's amusing that the creme de la creme of Vancouver (both West and City) are connected with a one-seat ride. Heck, they don't even need to transfer!

It was an observation, not at all a criticism.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
Oh, I wasn't talking about density at all... I was merely meaning that it's amusing that the creme de la creme of Vancouver (both West and City) are connected with a one-seat ride. Heck, they don't even need to transfer!

It was an observation, not at all a criticism.
aaaaaaaaah when you said West Vancouver, I didn't realize you meant the actual West Vancouver, not the western part of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:35 PM

Like I said before, after being inspired by the blank cheque transit plan, I've been working on a skytrain map of my own. Here is what I have so far, its not complete, and there are some things that certainly need some work, but this Friday at work has been really slow so I decided to post it up

Here’s a zoomed out pic:

And here is the link to the map
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&...mid=1205525046

Any comments or criticisms are welcome. Remember this is a skytrain map, so if you feel an outlying area is not covered that’s probably because I thought it would be better served by commuter rail, BRT or just nothing.

Blue Line = Expo Line
- Self explanatory. Existing expo line with two extensions, one down the Fraser Highway, the other down King George Highway.

Yellow Line = Millennium Line
-Once again self explanatory. Existing Millennium line extended to UBC like planned.

Red Line = Canada Line
-Canada line...

Dark Green Line = Evergreen Line
-Evergreen loop line, combines the NE and NW options for the evergreen line, with future expansion capabilities across the Pitt River Bridge

Orange Line = Hastings Line
-Line running from SFU, down the Hastings corridor to downtown, terminating at the corner of Denman and Davie, providing service to the West end and financial district.

Turquoise Line = Arbutus Line
-Line running from Waterfront Station through the west end to the Kitsilano, then down the Arbutus ROW to Kerrisdale.

White Line = Marine Line
-Line running from UBC station along SW Marine to Meet the Expo Line at Edmonds station, the cut across New West providing service to the cluster of residential buildings at 10th Ave and 6th then continuing to Braid Station. I have included an extension down United Blvd to meet up with Evergreen line but I think this may be a useless extension.

Brown Line = 41st Ave/Willingdon Line
-Line running from Marine Line down 41st Ave corridor to Metrotown (envisioned as a larger employment hub than it currently is) then cutting north along Willingdon through Brentwood to the Hastings Line.

Purple Line = North Shore Line
-Line Running from SW marine up Knight St, hitting the Commercial Dr Transit hub, then crossing the Burrard inlet, where it narrows, to the North shore. Once on the North shore it will branch into 2 lines, one heading North up Lonsdale to the Upper Levels Highway, the other continuing West to Park Royal. Although sufficient densities exist along Marine Dr. to justify expansion, I did not show it on this map, because even with a burried line it would never be allowed in West Vancouver.

Light Green Line = Cross-town Line
-A line in the area of Vancouver I know least about. A cross town line in surrey, running along Scott Rd, cutting East at 104th to link up with the future downtown area of Surrey City Centre, and continuing east to Guilford Town Centre.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 4:52 PM

Time to Resurrect this thread.

Here's my fantasy system map for Translink. It includes SkyTrain, WestCoastExpress, SeaBus and RapidBus.

Rapid transit and commuter rail extends from Whistler to Abbotsford.

Last edited by lightrail; Apr 20, 2008 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 6:20 PM
Yellow Fever

^^ Very impressive and professionally done!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 7:33 PM

Wow lightrail! This is one of the few plans I've liked that have been proposed. It's been well thought out and certainly doesn't put all the money into Vancouver - something most do.

I love how you've included areas as far as Abbotsford and Whistler! I like the splitting of the M Line and Braid Line - you've restored the Broadway-Lougheed Line to what it was originally supposed to be - awesome! And, I also like the split of the "Surrey Line" branching off SCentral and heading down to Newton, versus a split after King George - very smart!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
Wow lightrail! This is one of the few plans I've liked that have been proposed. It's been well thought out and certainly doesn't put all the money into Vancouver - something most do.

I love how you've included areas as far as Abbotsford and Whistler! I like the splitting of the M Line and Braid Line - you've restored the Broadway-Lougheed Line to what it was originally supposed to be - awesome! And, I also like the split of the "Surrey Line" branching off SCentral and heading down to Newton, versus a split after King George - very smart!
Thanks - not bad for MS Paint

The West Coast Express is extended to Abbotsford, new commuter rail lines run to South Surrey, Langley and White Rock. I've designed these to provide connections with Skytrain and provide relief to Skytrain by providing an alternative from Broadway/Commercial, Sperling, Briad, and Scott Road to Waterfront.

Also, two new SeaBus routes - one to Park Royal to connect with the Howe Sound commuter trains and another to Bowen Island and Langdale.

I envision the current WCE line being all day service (like GO's lakeshore service in Toronto), the South Surrey and White Rock lines both peak hours only. The Howe Sound line could have mid-day trains to service the Whistler ski market.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 9:13 PM
Vancouver Moderator

WOW! ALL THAT ON PAINT? LOL I swear I wouldn't be able to use paint for that stuff. Amazing.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 9:38 PM

wow....i am truly impressed....this is a very sensible plan! well done! and i love the Surrey part!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
WOW! ALL THAT ON PAINT? LOL I swear I wouldn't be able to use paint for that stuff. Amazing.
Sure - all of the lines are just shapes - I make one shape for each - line, curve, interchange, etc, then keep a copy to the left, kind of like my own tool box. Then just rotate and use the fill to change colours. Zoom in to do fine edits, etc. I actually prefer it, as I find it easier to use than programs with layers. Just give yourself a lot of room on the left and top, it's easy to extend the drawing board right and down. Save as a bitmap (otherwise you get blending artifacts if you use a compression format). When done, I just crop it in Irfanview and save as a jpg.

The map took about three hours to build.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 10:12 PM

Why get rid of the looparound Millenium Line?

Why not extend the south of Fraser WCE line to Abbotsford and perhaps even Chilliwack?

Anyways, good (albeit time wasting) job.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure