HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

View Poll Results: What did you think of Vancouver's finest hour?
Very good 38 41.76%
Good 32 35.16%
Satisfied 13 14.29%
Not good 6 6.59%
Poor 2 2.20%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils View Post
not good

2. the fiddler's shadow on the moon was completely out of sync

It was supposed to be out of sync - it's a dual between the fiddler and his shadow.

Gretsky through the streets was fine - what do you want, razor-wire and police with machine guns? Security was there, and the fact you didn't see it made it good.

Why so negative?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 3:45 AM
Give us a kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I LOVED Wayne going through the city with everyone running after him.

It made it feel like OUR games, games for the people. It made it feel like the games are for everyone, not just "elitists" that paid tons to be in the stadium, but also for Joe six pack pounding one back in pub. They could have made it overly orchestrated and pretentious, but that is NOT Canada. Running down the street with people excited, happy and cheering, that IS Canada.

Having security line the street keeping people back, or some stupid elaborate method of getting him there, would have been just too American.

The most important and significant part of the opening, lighting the ever burning flame, was done outside, where anyone could have watched. It was done amongst the "unwashed masses". It brought the opening to the public. It was perfect.
Exactly the way I felt about it, too. I was actually down in the street and my girlfriend and I saw him, it was great fun. I agree with every word you said here!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 4:05 AM

I agree. And same with the outdoor cauldron, it's relatively accessible to public (except for the ugly fencing). People can take pictures of themselves with the cauldron in the picture. Pretty sure you couldn't do that previously as most past Olympics had those high elevation cauldrons.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 5:23 AM
Give us a kiss

^I heard from a friend the fence might be coming down soon. I was there today and it's really hard to get close enough to get a good shot.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 7:46 AM

i liked gretzy going in the street but it made for awkward TV

when he was interviewed after he said he did the whole run the night before on the trauck but was basically covered in a tent so he didn't know where he was going and that they practiced the inside cauldron a few times and never had any issues

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]