HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:14 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
but there is a Skybridge right next to it. it is fully double tracked. it would be pointless i think.
Expo relief/express line? Pretty far off, but could be worth a hundred million give or take.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 4:03 AM

Ok so this probably belongs in the Transit Fantasy thread. I had imagined the Expo Line running as it does now and continuing down Fraser Hwy, the Evergreen Line travelling from Coquitlam to Lougheed and taking over the current Millennium run to VCC-Clark as planned, and then the Millennium Line running from Production Way down to Columbia and then across to Surrey and down King George.

What if they added a Skybridge with the new Pattullo and instead had the new Millennium (with a Woodlands Station) cross there instead. Yes that would mean a gap (of about 1k) between the Expo and Millennium lines in New West. They could short turn some of the Expo Line trains by running them to Woodlands to connect instead of running them out to Surrey.

Or is that just crazy talk?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Ok so this probably belongs in the Transit Fantasy thread. I had imagined the Expo Line running as it does now and continuing down Fraser Hwy, the Evergreen Line travelling from Coquitlam to Lougheed and taking over the current Millennium run to VCC-Clark as planned, and then the Millennium Line running from Production Way down to Columbia and then across to Surrey and down King George.

What if they added a Skybridge with the new Pattullo and instead had the new Millennium (with a Woodlands Station) cross there instead. Yes that would mean a gap (of about 1k) between the Expo and Millennium lines in New West. They could short turn some of the Expo Line trains by running them to Woodlands to connect instead of running them out to Surrey.

Or is that just crazy talk?
Crazy talk. If they had that kind of money to spend, I would rather see them dump $100 million on reorganizing Columbia station into a 3 platform design of some kind.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 10:16 AM

Or even just adding a turnoff from the M-Line connecting to the SkyBridge to allow easier through-routing from Lougheed to Surrey.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 11:53 PM

Rode my bike over Pattullo Bridge yesterday. I have to say that it feels quite nerving to go over this brige with bike, with constant truck traffic making the narrow sidewalk and whole bridge bounce. I was there around 10:30am which is why there is so little traffic in the photos.

SFPR below. Lots of truck traffic on the highway.

Train tracks over Fraser are very busy.

Skytrain bridge to New Westminster is next door.

Some paint would be needed (among completely new bridge).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:13 AM

Just on Global BC: New Westminster and Surrey agree that the new 6-lane bridge will be tolled!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:15 AM

And here's the story...

Quote:
Global: Agreement reached to toll the new Pattullo Bridge

Cities on both sides of the Pattullo Bridge are looking to set up some ground rules when it comes to replacing the 79-year-old crossing.

Talk of charging a toll for the new bridge is now being put in writing in a memorandum of understanding between TransLink, Surrey and New Westminster.

“Since they put the toll on the Port Mann Bridge we’ve seen a significant diversion of traffic in our community,” New Westminster Mayor Jonathan X. Cote. “Being the toll-free alternative had a negative impact on traffic congestion.”

Cote said the Pattullo saw a jump from 60,000 to 80,000 trips each day since the Port Mann tolls took effect, causing congestion to spread throughout bordering communities.

While a toll might help alleviate traffic in the short term, the mayors of both New Westminster and Surrey say it’s on condition Metro Vancouver moves towards regional road pricing, which could include charging by total distance travelled or by time of day.

“Continuing to toll points south of the Fraser is not in and of itself a solution,” Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner said. “There needs to be a better regional solution.”

In the meantime, tolling the Pattullo would limit the toll-free options to the Alex Fraser Bridge.

Transportation Minister Todd Stone said toll-free options must be available as part of the province’s tolling policy. He added the Pattullo is not under the ministry’s jurisdiction despite committing to pay a third of the cost.

“The decision respecting a toll on the Pattullo is a decision for the mayors and TransLink to make,” Stone said.

Other requirements outlined in the MOU include expanding the bridge from four to six lanes as well as installing bike lanes and a centre barrier. It also states TransLink should be ready to tender the project by October 2017.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2563444/ne...ill-be-tolled/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:31 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
And here's the story...
Now that's some progress: tolling agreement and New West agreeing to six lanes! These might seem like small political developments, but Surrey/New West speaking with one voice is a big achievement and should help move this toward becoming a real project.

Great pictures of the old thing. It will be good to have a record of this detail when the structure is gone.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:46 AM

Quote:
And here's the story...
Compromise... make the HOV lane the toll-free lane on all bridges Heavy fines if caught without at least 2 passengers.

Realistically it would never work, but I like the idea of making HOV vehicles the first to try road pricing.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:51 AM
Shoebox Dweller

I knew that the new mayor on New West had some great things to offer! This is awesome news!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:55 AM

edit

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
edit
From the public info sessions I went to when they were doing them, it sounds like it is 95% for sure going to be just on the other side of the rail bridge. Basically putting it directly in line with McBride Blvd.

Great news on the 6 lanes. There was a city speaks poll I filled out a few months ago and many of the questions were about the number of lanes on the bridge and how that should relate to congestion. Basically they were asking if you wanted just a safer and faster bridge, or a bridge that also has more capacity. I have a feeling every single person who filled it out said they want 6 lanes.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 4:05 AM

The mayor of Surrey said this evening she doesn't support tolling the Patullo without a regional tolling strategy.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Transportation Minister Todd Stone said toll-free options must be available as part of the province’s tolling policy. He added the Pattullo is not under the ministry’s jurisdiction despite committing to pay a third of the cost.

“The decision respecting a toll on the Pattullo is a decision for the mayors and TransLink to make,” Stone said.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2563444/ne...ill-be-tolled/
Cue the general public bashing TransLink for the toll in 3 2 1...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:06 AM

Quote:
It also states TransLink should be ready to tender the project by October 2017.
Not being a native English speaker, what does tender mean in this context? To begin construction or just start planning the new project?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:21 AM

The invitation for general contractors to bid on the project.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Not being a native English speaker, what does tender mean in this context? To begin construction or just start planning the new project?
To put out an RFP (Request for Proposals) to companies to bid on building the project, subject to certain requirements (needs to be six lanes, a certain height, etc).

Just so everyone knows, New Westminster has been on board with a 6-lane bridge for a while now. They agreed to it prior to the referendum as part of the Mayors' Vision. Also, I believe that the new mayor, Jonathan Cote, has a background in transportation planning.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:31 AM

Where is the money coming from? Wasn't the PST increase required to fund construction, among other things?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:41 AM

During the referendum fiasco there was talk that this project would go ahead with or without, I forget how official that was though.

The news release said the province will pay 1/3rd, I'm sure some federal money will be acquired. With tolls seemingly to have the green light Translink can afford to finance the rest.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:43 AM

Isn't Fassbender in charge of Translink? shouldn't he be the one to comment on the bridge instead of Todd Stone. I don't think it is clear whether I will be 6 lanes from the get go or if it can be expanded to 6 lanes (With New West's permission I would assume).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure