HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 10:13 PM
YouTube Creator

I'm not saying it needs it at all! The thing is the corridor is just a shoe in that's all I'm saying. It is interesting the difference pointed out between Montreal Toronto and our rail systems, it gets said alot but, Vancouver really is much more compact so that type of service is alot less important. I mean just look at the distance from one end of the GTHA to the other and how it's quite uniformly developed. We are probably going to only need Skytrain for a long time.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 5:31 AM

Provincial announcement in Surrey to happen tomorrow regarding public transit

http://globalnews.ca/news/3347640/pr...-announcement/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 6:20 PM

Link to the announcement

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 6:56 PM

I wonder if they'll go with the Flexity trains or try something else

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 7:50 PM
Joshua B.

All but confirmed construction will start soon. A major loss for the region. Surrey will be absolutely awful to drive in over the next few years.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 7:50 PM
YouTube Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
Considering how poorly Bombardier has performed on Flexities I'd imagine they won't go that direction, but who knows. The trains Ottawa is using (citadis) look to be less articulated (ie longer space between joints) which is good because from past experience people usually don't love standing in the joint.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
All but confirmed construction will start soon. A major loss for the region. Surrey will be absolutely awful to drive in over the next few years.
Broadway isn't going to be a picnic, either. Still, the results will be worth the pain, IMHO.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:42 PM
See ya down under, mates

They're not doing cut and cover for Broadway are they? Should be ok if not.

Surrey on the other hand loses a lane on major corridors forever.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:50 PM

In my opinion, I don't see why the Skytrain isn't going down King George Boulevard for just two extra stations and only 5.5km of extra track. That area of Surrey has the most population right now and will have major growth in coming decades. It allows for easy access to Skytrain for those living in Delta too . A station should be added South of 96 Ave (750m from King George station to service innovation Boulevard) and terminus at 72 ave ( 1km from 76 ave). The cost would be much less with fast service to downtown Vancouver for 200000 people living within a short bus ride from either station.
Also, the Expo Skytrain only needs to be extended east to Fraser Highway and 152 st in my opinion as well. Lots of room for a station and good bus connection for the area. I'll cut transit times drastically if heading to downtown by adding less than 4km of track. Quality is just as important as quantity of service. In 30 years TransLink can think of extending to Langley ...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 9:20 PM

I'm a big fan of the Skytrain on king George idea but people like us are few and far between

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 9:25 PM

What are the reasons European trams (Geneva and such) have succeeded and gained reputation for being well constructed, convenient, and almost immune to failures compared to trams in say, Houston, Denver, and Salt Lake City?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

Surrey on the other hand loses a lane on major corridors forever.
... loses a lane in EACH direction ...

One lane for traffic and fewer left-turn lanes.
Let the howling begin!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
What a complete waste of money. Unless the LRT triggers traffic lights so it doesn't have to stop like a regular train does, it will be stopping at traffic lights just like buses do now...Just an expensive street car. Skytrain works because it only stops at stations without interruptions.

Dumb dumb dumb idea...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express691 View Post
What are the reasons European trams (Geneva and such) have succeeded and gained reputation for being well constructed, convenient, and almost immune to failures compared to trams in say, Houston, Denver, and Salt Lake City?
Because they don't do things by subcontracting out every part of things piecemeal in Europe, or even in Asia.

In the US and Canada, projects are usually a series of subcontractors of subcontractors, everyone does their one specialized thing, and that's it.

That is why Transit is so expensive in the US and Canada. If let's say the TTC/Metrolinx, Translink, and a few other transit companies got together and decided to standardize on a North American standardized transit vehicle model that fit everyone's systems, there could be two companies on the continent that produce nothing but these vehicles (eg one producing the powered cars and one producing the unpowered cars.) But instead every project has to be put to tender, every train is a custom-built thing with no compatible parts other than the third rail interface. This is one of the reasons why Bombardier and TTC are bickering with each other, because the TTC kept changing what they wanted, causing redesigns, and delays. (At least that's what I kept hearing.)

See if we had automated vehicles, none of this would even be an issue, because every car would have to work with everyone's system. Instead the insistence on "cheaper" cars by any means possible means we get different corners cut on different systems, and they have to live with those corners cut for the life of the system. that is why all the hollering about building "cut all the corners possible" Surrey LRT. Build it right or don't build it at all.

We wouldn't even be arguing about the technology if the superior technology wasn't already there as the Skytrain. Like if this was Victoria, nobody in their right mind would want to try roll out the Skytrain between Langford and Downtown Victoria, or the Shwartz Bay terminal and downtown Victoria because there is an existing Rail ROW that could be used NOW and there is almost no traffic crossings between the old Interurban there, unlike the mess Surrey is getting itself into. The catch with Victoria is that the distance required to cover doesn't lend itself very well to a 30kph light rail, nor does it lend itself very well to any city except one that is on an Island and there is no practical place to expand it to. So for Victoria a somewhat faster LRT would suffice, where as Surrey it will hobble everything from traffic to passengers.

Like had the Skytrain not been brought accross the river in the first place, we wouldn't behaving this discussion, we would be having one about IF we should bring it to Surrey or to Maple Ridge.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the Skytrain on king George idea but people like us are few and far between
I like it too. Per the Surrey Rapid Transit Study, King George had a better cost-per-rider than Fraser Highway (though Fraser Highway would generate more new riders overall.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:38 AM
YouTube Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdawe View Post
I like it too. Per the Surrey Rapid Transit Study, King George had a better cost-per-rider than Fraser Highway (though Fraser Highway would generate more new riders overall.
That's the key point, in the future Fraser Highway is probably more promising and it can be continuously extended into the valley.

As far as the LRT goes Im a little confused with all the freaking out...
The fact that is LRT implies signal priority...
In addition as was mentioned losing some car lanes isn't a huge deal increased capacity induces demand and in the long run we want less people driving anyways
Saying that it's going to ruin Surrey is excessive even if you don't like LRT at all, we all know that the Expo Line is going to be extended down Fraser and that the cost of building Skytrain vs LRT on the L corridor is much higher because obviously skytrain is another class of transit which require significant grade separation etc...
In the end if the LRT ends up facing all these problems that are being suggested which do range from warranted to vastly excessive then solutions will be implemented, that could be anything from traffic restrictions to grade separations at key intersections...

In the end I think it's pretty clear that we are going to see this LRT unless all Surrey City has a total change of heart, as Ive mentioned before it's probably best that people start advocating for the best possible LRT implementation, than just saying the plan is going to ruin the city. I certainly doubt anyone is going to be moving out of Surrey when LRT is built and I'm sure many people on this forum will actually ride it so for everyone's sake it's probably most beneficial to make sure we get a good LRT.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
It would be nice to see something new, like the Siemens Avenio or Alstom Citadis. Bombardier doesn't seem like a reliable supplier of LRVs but they might go for it anyways because of it being "local" and most likely the cheapest price. I think choosing Bombardier might be more of a headache than its worth. If we get European-built Bombardier Flexities, perhaps there would be fewer headaches. Don't see too many complaints for the ones they sell in Europe.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
They'll be boring a tunnel, but excavations are still going to be needed for the station boxes, and most of those will be near major intersections. So yeah, it's going to have a pretty big impact on Broadway traffic.

It's possible that they could go with a "bridge" approach where they build a temporary bridge over the excavation to minimize disruption. But even so there will still be an impact.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 3:03 AM
YouTube Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
They'll be boring a tunnel, but excavations are still going to be needed for the station boxes, and most of those will be near major intersections. So yeah, it's going to have a pretty big impact on Broadway traffic.

It's possible that they could go with a "bridge" approach where they build a temporary bridge over the excavation to minimize disruption. But even so there will still be an impact.
Indeed no matter how you frame it a major new subway line does not come easy in terms of construction.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post

Perhaps they should ramp up service on the 84 bus line to take some bus traffic away from Broadway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure