HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 4:09 PM

There isnt much anger on the part of the IOC towards the ski jumpers. They understand the ski jumpers issues and empathise with them, however they arent willing to budge on the matter. I had a meeting with a member of the IOC selection committe last week and he stated that there was a very strong chance we would see women's ski jumping in the 2014 olympics.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 7:02 PM

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - A big blow for women ski jumpers. Canada's top court will not hear an appeal from the women who want to compete in the 2010 Games.
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...en-ski-jumpers

It's finally over.. I hope.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 7:09 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

If these broads spent as much time and energy into actually developing their sport and training to be better as they did in courts, they may of had a fighting chance to be in the 2014 games as a demonstration sport, and a full on medal sport for 2018.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 1:55 AM

Its quite distasteful to see the misogyny in this thread.

Ultimately all it proved was how the IOC is accountable to no-one but themselves.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Its quite distasteful to see the misogyny in this thread.

Ultimately all it proved was how the IOC is accountable to no-one but themselves.
The lawsuit had 14 (yes, how major!) signatories, but most were ineligible for the Olympics anyways due to one reason or another, like age.

So, it proves that when you have half a dozen competitors, who have never competed at a World class level (well, they just had a World Cup last year for the first time), from two Countries, you can't really make a sport of it.

There is no basis for discrimination claims when nearly half of all competitors are female.

Should it grow in to an actual sport with actual competitors from more than two Countries, it undoubtedly will be in the Olympics, and nobody is arguing that fact.

As of now, you could not even hold an Olympic qualifier for Women's ski jumping, because there wouldn't be enough people even showing up to qualify and they'd all have to make it.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
If these broads spent as much time and energy into actually developing their sport and training to be better as they did in courts, they may of had a fighting chance to be in the 2014 games as a demonstration sport, and a full on medal sport for 2018.
And using the word "broads" is somehow going to reinforce your argument?

Come on... As valid as your argument may be, using that kind of terminology is going to make you look like...

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 10:46 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
And using the word "broads" is somehow going to reinforce your argument?

Come on... As valid as your argument may be, using that kind of terminology is going to make you look like...
I've the utmost respect for the women out there fighting to get their sport in the Olympics on the ski jumps. Just not the fringe group of them that is attempting to use our court system to make a mockery of the IOC sport selection process.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
The lawsuit had 14 (yes, how major!) signatories, but most were ineligible for the Olympics anyways due to one reason or another, like age.

So, it proves that when you have half a dozen competitors, who have never competed at a World class level (well, they just had a World Cup last year for the first time), from two Countries, you can't really make a sport of it.

There is no basis for discrimination claims when nearly half of all competitors are female.

Should it grow in to an actual sport with actual competitors from more than two Countries, it undoubtedly will be in the Olympics, and nobody is arguing that fact.

As of now, you could not even hold an Olympic qualifier for Women's ski jumping, because there wouldn't be enough people even showing up to qualify and they'd all have to make it.
So, now that we've seen the Womens Hockey wind up, how do you rationalize the inclusion of that sport, when there are really only TWO world class competitors?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 10:58 PM

I don't. They should arguably not be in there, either.

Every year since 1990 it has been Canada vs. USA World Cup or Olympics.

HOWEVER, there are more than 14 competitors, and far more than 2 Countries represented.

The IOC has told them, just this past week, to make the sport more competitive, or have it removed from future Olympics.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]