HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 3:01 AM

New entertainment district got approved. Open container now allowed at certain district, but certain regulations apply. I'm not sure what rules apply or how big the district is, but its nice to have it approved after it being discussed in 2012.

Also new Druid City Hall will open Aug. 26th. Already has a booked show.

New bar that emulates the same style of Dave-n-Bustera will open on Temerson Square.

Gotta love Tuscaloosa's progress

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 1:26 AM

No real development news, but you can give these gives a "like" on FB to give them some exposure. I can guarantee they will explode once they open being that its downtown, on Temerson Square, and will open close to football season. Its a new bar that will open downtown that will feature food, sports, an an arcade.

Wheelhouse Pub

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:02 AM

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 12:46 PM

I like it, but it's not all that unique. Its good for tourism, but I think they need to start using the original moniker: "Druid City". Regardless, I'll buy a shirt

"The One & Only" is the new brand name for Tuscaloosa

Quote:
There is no other.

That’s the message behind Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports’ new brand name for the city, unveiled Tuesday before the Tuscaloosa City Council.

After 14 months and $7,500, the city’s tourism and sporting-event recruitment group is today rolling out “The One & Only,” the new brand name for Tuscaloosa.

An additional $100,000 is going toward spreading the message through advertisements in newspapers and magazines, television commercials and billboards that will go up in each of the city’s seven council districts.

“The reason we took so long is because we wanted to make sure we did it correctly,” said Gina Simpson, president and CEO of Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports. “A lot of thought and a lot of work has gone into this.

“Now, we need to educate everybody in Tuscaloosa about our brand.”

There’s even a new song, the debut of which is set to come during Thursday’s performance by the Alabama Shakes at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater.

Residents can expect to see “The One & Only” — with a Druid City tree leaf in the ampersand — popping up all across the city.

The group has coasters going in restaurants and bars; T-shirts and insulated drink coolers will be given away; and there are plans to install flags with the new logo on utility poles downtown.

And for those businesses that are a Tuscaloosa original, they’ll be receiving a “The One & Only” sign and stamps to place on customer receipts.

“‘Tuscaloosa — The One and Only’ is meant to serve as a brand for all establishments in our area,” Simpson said. “We hope the symbol becomes a uniting theme for the community.”

Simpson said the process to choose the logo — which features a hand-drawn, asymmetrical font that’s meant to symbolize the movement and growth of the city — included the involvement of business leaders and the community at large.

The process began with a 33-person committee charged with creating a tag line exclusive to Tuscaloosa.

Brand experts developed a portfolio of Tuscaloosa-based assets and a survey to gather feedback from area residents. More than 1,000 responses were received from every ZIP code in Tuscaloosa, tourism officials said.

From this, bids were sought from various advertising agencies to assemble a creative campaign team. After four presentations, Cayenne Creative was chosen to develop and design the new brand and awarded the $7,500 contract.

After several rounds of concepts for tag lines and visual marks, “The One and Only” was created along with the logos.

Simpson said one goal behind the campaign was to highlight other aspects of the city besides football and the University of Alabama. For this reason, the color crimson is not present in the brand’s new color scheme.

“We really are the one and only Tuscaloosa,” Simpson said. “There’s not another one in the nation.”

Last edited by TheCapstone; Aug 19, 2015 at 1:26 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 1:27 PM

YES!!! It gained its second approval!! Tuscaloosa will officially have a 5-star hotel!!

Tuscaloosa City Council approves of 5-star hotel along Black Warrior River

Quote:
Final approval was granted unanimously Tuesday for the construction of a luxury hotel along the Black Warrior River.

The Regent Club of Tuscaloosa will be a $32 million, 135-room hotel planned for Rice Mine Road.

Robert L. Schwartz and his company, Atlanta-based National Ventures Group, intend to build the hotel on a 3.7-acre parcel of an overall 35-acre, mainly wooded tract just east of The Cypress Inn restaurant on the northern bank of the river.

Planned for six stories, the exterior would consist of brick and cast stone and is expected to be constructed above the 100-year flood plain elevation of 154.2 feet.

Utilities will go underground, and the parking lot is designed for 160 spaces, which is more than the city’s zoning rules demand, but is meant to accommodate high-traffic events like college football games.

Site plans also call for a bar, a full-service restaurant, an outdoor gazebo and terrace that offers views of the river nearby, an outdoor pool and accommodations for future phases of the city’s Riverwalk recreational path.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 1:30 PM

Tuscaloosa OKs use of eminent domain to acquire land needed for road projects

Quote:
The work will extend from just west of the intersection of 27th Street and Harrison Street to the end of Prince Avenue's at Hargrove Road

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:16 PM

I can visualize downtown now with all this progress. There is going to be a lot of foot traffic now with everything that is going on.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 6:40 PM

Chuy's Tex Mex, an Austin-based restaurant will, open at the Shops at Legacy Center Oct 2nd.

Chuy’s Tex-Mex restaurant to open in October

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 12:11 AM

Druid City Music Hall

Looks like they haven't done any renovations yet, but I'll assume they will get things rolling here soon.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 3:43 AM

Welcome to all the new posters. Glad to have you aboard.

I personally think the city should push for some major infrastructure improvements. Some of my suggestions:

1. Creation of continuous service roads along McFarland Blvd between Skyland and University.

2. Conversion of the McFarland exit of the interstate into either a SPUI or a diverging diamond.

3. Reconstruction of the 359/59/69/Skyland fustercluck by converting the 69/Skyland intersection into a grade-separated interchange and merging the two resultant interchanges into a C/D system.

4. Extension of 359 to the Hugh Thomas Bridge, preferably below grade (Lurleen Wallace is perfectly configured to act as a service road for that portion of freeway.

5. Renaming some of the exits on 20/59. There is no such thing as "East Tuscaloosa", and Cottondale is not important enough to have three exits named for it.

6. A non-road item. Installation of a municipal fiber optic broadband network. I lived in Dalton, Georgia, for a year, and even they had one.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 12:57 PM

I-59/I-20 is being worked on

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Chuy's Tex Mex, an Austin-based restaurant will, open at the Shops at Legacy Center Oct 2nd.

Chuy’s Tex-Mex restaurant to open in October

I wish Huntsville would get a Chuy's. That place is legit.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Welcome to all the new posters. Glad to have you aboard.

I personally think the city should push for some major infrastructure improvements. Some of my suggestions:

1. Creation of continuous service roads along McFarland Blvd between Skyland and University.

2. Conversion of the McFarland exit of the interstate into either a SPUI or a diverging diamond.

3. Reconstruction of the 359/59/69/Skyland fustercluck by converting the 69/Skyland intersection into a grade-separated interchange and merging the two resultant interchanges into a C/D system.

4. Extension of 359 to the Hugh Thomas Bridge, preferably below grade (Lurleen Wallace is perfectly configured to act as a service road for that portion of freeway.

5. Renaming some of the exits on 20/59. There is no such thing as "East Tuscaloosa", and Cottondale is not important enough to have three exits named for it.

6. A non-road item. Installation of a municipal fiber optic broadband network. I lived in Dalton, Georgia, for a year, and even they had one.
I would love to see McFarland look like Memorial Parkway in Huntsville where they have overpasses over the major intersections and have the service roads feed into the businesses on the side. It takes 30-45 minutes to go from the interstate to 15th st on Fridays when there is an event going on in town. I use 3-59 to avoid it, but sometimes I really enjoy going down McFarland to see how much has changed in my old stomping grounds.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 8:28 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Tuscaloosa actually has over 44 miles of fiber optic cable throughout the city. http://www.al.com/news/tuscaloosa/in...fiber-opt.html

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 3:51 AM

Auto supplier to build plant in Tuscaloosa

Quote:
An automotive parts supplier plans to build a new $150-million facility in east Tuscaloosa County that will employ 650 and provide parts for the Mercedes Benz U.S. International plant in Vance.

“I can say that we feel very welcome and at home here in Tuscaloosa,” said Andreas Heuser, Samvardhana Motherson Group managing director and head of Corporate Office Europe and Americas.

Gov. Robert Bentley, flanked by company and state officials in Montgomery, announced on Thursday that SMG plans to build a new 700,000-square-foot plant in Tuscaloosa that will produce painted bumpers, rocker panels, spoilers, interior door panels and other parts. Construction will begin by the end of 2015 at the proposed site, according to the announcement.

The Alabama facility will be operated by SMP, a subsidiary of SMG, and will be will be called – SMP Automotive Systems Alabama Inc.

“We have worked hard to recruit well-paying jobs for the people of this state, and I am honored to see SMG/SMP expand to Alabama,” Bentley said.

SMP’s automotive partnerships include Daimler Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche, Renault/Nissan and Ford.

“TCIDA looks forward to partnering with SMP as they continue to grow and prosper as a world leader in high quality interior and exterior automotive systems,” said Dara Longgrear, executive director of the Tuscaloosa County Industrial Development Authority.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Tuscaloosa actually has over 44 miles of fiber optic cable throughout the city. http://www.al.com/news/tuscaloosa/in...fiber-opt.html
WOW. How did my miss that? Right on, T-town!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 8:26 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
WOW. How did my miss that? Right on, T-town!
The city doesn't talk much about it. The program started years ago and they basically just install the lines whenever the city has to do underground utility work.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 12:30 PM

Latest plan calls for new middle school near Northridge, Skyland Elementary to remain open

Quote:
The latest version of the Tuscaloosa City Schools’ strategic plan calls for closing University Place and Rock Quarry middle schools and building a new middle school in the Northridge High School zone.

The curriculum, finances and human resources components of the plan will be discussed during a meeting Sept. 1. Final public comments on the plan will be accepted at the meeting.

On Sept. 15, the plan will go before the school board for a vote.

On Monday, the education facility planning firm DeJong-Richter unveiled the plan, which could be the final version of the integrated curriculum, facilities and demographic strategic plan at the school board’s steering committee.

“There actually haven’t been a whole lot of major changes, other than Skyland (Elementary) remains open,” said DeJong-Richter CEO Tracy Richter. “In the last plan, we actually closed Skyland and moved it into the University Place solution. In this plan, we’re rebuilding the front part of that building.”

Under the plan, University Place and Rock Quarry middle schools’ students would be relocated along with a portion of Eastwood Middle’s students, to a 900-capacity middle school in the Northridge High School zone. Part of University Place Middle’s students — the ones living south of 15th Street — would be relocated to Westlawn Middle.

“The new north middle school allows for growth and lets Rock Quarry become just an elementary school,” Richter said. “We’d bring in some kids from the Northeast that currently go to Arcadia (Elementary) to bring some diversity in. They’d be closer to their middle and high schools so we get a win-win there.”

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 12:33 PM

The new Alberta School of Peforming Arts just opened today. Govenor Bentley will be there speaking soon.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 12:51 PM

I went downtown yesterday and couldn't help but see there is construction of a new bank and restaurant right beside Inissfree Irish Pub. If that is actually about to happen, then its about damn time they worked on that. That was one of the ugliest looking spots in front of a beautiful plaza at the Goverment's Plaza. I hated seeing such a good pub being placed amongst what looked like a construction waste site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast