HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Which option would you vote in favour?
Option A 2 33.33%
Option B1 2 33.33%
Option B2 1 16.67%
Option B3 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 2:39 PM
Closed account

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it looks like the buses will be off the Gore and the new terminal built by 2010:

http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyre...l08PW08084.pdf

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 11:02 AM
It's Hammer Time

New core transit terminal gets early OK

July 09, 2008
Nicole MacIntyre
The Hamilton Spectator

The buses will be leaving Gore Park in a move the city hopes will transform downtown.

City councillors have given preliminary approval to opening a new downtown transit terminal, which will be split between MacNab Street and the Hunter Street GO station.

The new terminal, which is expected to be finished by 2010, will allow the city to remove buses from the south leg of Gore Park. The area is slated to become a pedestrian-only zone by 2011.

The city had originally planned to put the new terminal entirely on MacNab, a $17-million-plus proposal that would have required land expropriation and taken longer to complete.

The new proposal, pushed forward by Councillor Bob Bratina, will only cost $8 million.

Staff are hoping other governments and GO Transit will pick up part of the cost.

"It's very good use of taxpayers' money," Bratina said.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:04 PM

2 GO stations, 2 downtown HSR terminals, I'm beginning to think Hamilton may have a split personality.

IMO, if you are going to build terminals, it should be one consolidated terminal.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:20 PM
Closed account

I don't mind it actually. Even though people will have to learn which route runs from which terminal, it will be a nice boon to the downtown neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:36 PM
Closed account

I'm of a different mind on this now than I was a couple months ago.
I like the idea of using Hunter and McNab.
The GO Station is a beauty and it will be nice to get more people in there...as well as the James South district nearby.
The McNab plans look great. I can't wait to see this happen.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

They could order those super cute mini shuttle buses that's completely powered by electricity with the money that they will save by spilting the terminals.

There's tons of them in Quebec City and well used. Use them to shuttle people from GO Station to Gore Park and the MacNab Station. I'll see if I can get a picture of them.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

Here it is! Cute huh? 100% electric powered minibus.

Last edited by SteelTown; Jul 9, 2008 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:11 PM
Closed account

haha...what's that hold, like 7 people??
If hunter goes 2-way, they could easily shuttle people back and forth between the 2. Mind you, it's probably less than a 5 minute walk too.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

Holds 20 people.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:16 PM

After thinking about it, I'm glad that they're not wasting money by building a large, single terminal just yet. Anything they build now is - at least in part - a throwaway cost. When the B-Line goes to LRT, some buses will no longer travel downtown as we switch to a "feeder" network. And when the A-Line gets full service, most mountain buses will avoid the core as well. At that point, we can probably fit all buses on the new MacNab with some room left over.

If they're really stuck for stops in the meantime, they still have the bays on Main at MacNab, and the stops on King west of James, so through buses (1A,10, the 5s) don't have to enter the terminal at all.

I imagine that once LRT rolls through, there'll be a nice central terminal for A-Line, B-Line, HSR buses, the Halton BRT, etc, and it may be in a different location altogether. The only issue is how much use we get from these facilities until they're obsolete. I do give the city credit for trying to keep the cost down.

As for GO pitching in on construction costs, I don't know. The city is going to take GO's parking spaces, and wants money to convert them into HSR bus bays. That's like Kato hitting up OJ for money to expand the guest house.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
haha...what's that hold, like 7 people??
If hunter goes 2-way, they could easily shuttle people back and forth between the 2. Mind you, it's probably less than a 5 minute walk too.
You've stated all valid points as to why 2 terminals is wrong.

Hardly a seamless transportation option, shuttling people back and forth or making them walk to connect to buses.

I still think dual terminals is ripe with faults.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:47 PM

Quote:
In most cases, you wouldn't have to go from terminal to terminal. I'm sure in the case of the HSR, most buses headed for one terminal would have a stop near the other terminal.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishap View Post
In most cases, you wouldn't have to go from terminal to terminal. I'm sure in the case of the HSR, most buses headed for one terminal would have a stop near the other terminal.
yea, true enough. All the mountain buses would pass Hunter to get to McNab. Delaware goes past both. Barton comes darn close going by Main and Hughson. King uses King/Main until LRT. Which buses will even use Hunter?? I can't think of any.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 7:12 PM
Hammer'd

The current proposal sounds good to me. Hunter and Macnab are close enough. I won't have a problem walking from one to another.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 7:39 PM
Closed account

I think Mishap is going to be right....people won't be walking from one to another. I think they'll all pass each terminal during their route.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 7:56 PM

Quote:
yea, true enough. All the mountain buses would pass Hunter to get to McNab. Delaware goes past both. Barton comes darn close going by Main and Hughson. King uses King/Main until LRT. Which buses will even use Hunter?? I can't think of any.
The Hunter plan would see a total of five bus bays at the back of the GO Station: the current two University bays and three.

University will likely continue to use the station. However, their scheduling causes layovers to overlap at the station, so they currently require two bays. Expect to see the schedules revised to increase layover at the West Hamilton Loop, or other services (B-Line, King) increased/ extended to replace some University trips.

I believe that Barton and Cannon would dip into the GO station, as they're approaching from (and leave towards) the north. There has been talk of having these routes travel north on John, and avoid that troublesome left turn onto King. Unfortunately, they'd replace those two routes with up to seven others.

It would make sense to bring Bayfront into the GO station as well, as they couldn't use MacNab northbound when that terminal is in place. I don't know what its outbound routing would be.

As for the fifth bay, I don't know. The Waterfront Shuttle maybe?

How buses would be rerouted through the core will make for some interesting discussion on this board.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 8:23 PM
Closed account

well, if nothing else, let's hope that the city installs a left-turn advance signal at King and John. sheesh. They have them all over town at intersections where nobody is turning left, but they don't put one there.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 8:56 PM

It's years overdue, rth. Even if it were only about five seconds long, you could sneak two buses through, plus there's always a bus waiting for the yellow.

They also need an advanced left-turn on John N/B at Hunter, to clear the bottlenecks under the rail line. It'll only get worse if a bunch of Barton buses have to turn out of the GO station. This would also help Bayfront buses head over to James, where they could go northbound all the way to Burlington. I imagine they'll look at taking buses off MacNab North when that goes two-way.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 10:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

So it appears today's federal funding will likely go towards the downtown transit terminal.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 11:16 AM
It's Hammer Time

New downtown bus terminal given green light

By Kevin Werner
News
Jul 25, 2008

Downtown councillor Bob Bratina called the decision the "most important" one in his political life.

After nearly seven years of work and planning, members of the public works committee approved the construction of a multi-modal transportation centre along MacNab Street and Hunter Street within the current Go station facility.

It is expected to cost about $8 million, which the city only has about $3 million available.

The other $5 million will have to be raised some way, with a possible partnership with GO Transit, say city officials.

Construction is proposed for 2009, with the project completed by 2010.

The terminal hub will also, to the delight of Mr. Bratina who was elected as councillor in a 2004 byelection, mean the relocation of the buses, which park along Gore Park.

The idea is to construct eight bus platforms at MacNab Street and five bus platforms within the Hunter Street GO Station. A passenger service building will also be constructed on MacNab Street. The idea is for MacNab Street to become exclusively a transit terminal facility.

"This is an important day in my political life," said Mr. Bratina, who represents the area.

"This is very good use of taxpayers' money. We are honouring those people who moved to the downtown. And we are getting the buses off of Gore Park. I couldn't be happier."

Added Mayor Fred Eisenberger: "It provides the services we need. This has all the benefits for the MacNab Street location. We have adopted exactly the right model."

Politicians will vote on the committee's recommendation at their July 10 council meeting.

Council in 2001 did endorse an alternative option, expanding the MacNab Street Terminal. But potential problems were raised during city staff's Downtown Transportation Master Plan study that pointed to potential higher than expected land expropriation costs and rising construction expenses which could push the project to nearly $15 million, said city staff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure