HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 6:29 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by count0 View Post
Was driving north into downtown from Macleod and just imagining how amazing the view will be like as you approach the city centre when this and Brookfield are up.

Very exciting!
Ha - I was doing the same thing driving MacLeod last weekend too .
Hurry up and get those permits approved so this thing can catch up to Briokfied.
2nd time in less than a decade Calgary will have it's 1st & 3rd tallest U/C at the same time.
Yesssss!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:16 AM

Saw the model..... 63 stories, sounds like around 232 meters to me. I like gold colors!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 1:10 PM

Nothing is confirmed at 232m. That's just wishcasting. The last update has the building at 222m or 728ft. The 63 stories is with mechanical.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 8:03 PM
ARTchitecture

Tallbob, I think they may have just increased the floor count without significant increases in height. Someone in the construction thread said it is now 222.3 meters and 63 floors, up from 221.3 and 59 floors.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 8:10 AM

Oh well, wishful thinking! I guess every little meter counts!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 6:14 PM
ARTchitecture

It's still very tall. At 222 meters, it will be the 15th tallest building in the country when completed, and the 121st tallest on the continent! haha

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 6:58 PM
BANNED

Puts things into context. Reminds us how short our skyline is compared to the big players in the states.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Puts things into context. Reminds us how short our skyline is compared to the big players in the states.
Quality > Quantity ?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:06 PM
ARTchitecture

That's right H.E, I much prefer our quality towers (The Bow, Suncor, EAP, Brookfield, City Centre, Telus sky) over things that could be taller but far less quality.

Quote:
Yeah, and Mexico as well. Mexico City is building some pretty awesome towers right now, they have 3 new tallests UC right now, all over 230 meters. Monterrey has one UC that will reach an architectural height of 276 meters even! *sigh* dare to dream!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Yeah definitely, our tallest buildings have been great additions with more to come. Though looking at the heights of the new tallest building u/c &proposed around the world, a standard 300m supertall isn't even really considered tall or out of the ordinary on a global basis anymore.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:18 PM
ARTchitecture

It is, however, considered extremely tall in Canada (and Europe, South America, Africa, and Oceania for that matter), as it would be our tallest building and first supertall. That's the bench mark we need to look at, not surpassing the whole world, as that will never happen. With so much height coming to the city recently thanks to these boom times, I think a nicely placed 300 - 310 meter tower wouldn't overwhelm the skyline too much. It would look pretty nice if it were somewhere between EAP and Brookfield from the North or South views.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:46 PM
BANNED

I def wouldn't be complaining if we got a starchitect quality supertall on the former IOL site. Just hope Oxford takes their time and builds 270m minimum here. Otherwise it'll be just a waste of one of the very few lots left within the CBD, and a central one at that.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:56 PM

Quote:
I def wouldn't be complaining if we got a starchitect quality supertall on the former IOL site. Just hope Oxford takes their time and builds 270m minimum here. Otherwise it'll be just a waste of one of the very few lots left within the CBD, and a central one at that.
Agreed .. Central lot in the heart of the CBD (will only be a couple blocks away from Brookfield), right beside the Courthouse and the mall downtown, and right on the C-train line practically

Anyone know when the last AC tenants move out?? I wanna see Telus Sky get going late in the summer

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 8:43 PM

Same here guys, can't wait for it to go up. I had a similar experience to craner a few days ago when I was coming up macleod.

Probably will end up being my fav tower in the country to be honest

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 8:48 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
Agreed .. Central lot in the heart of the CBD (will only be a couple blocks away from Brookfield), right beside the Courthouse and the mall downtown, and right on the C-train line practically

Anyone know when the last AC tenants move out?? I wanna see Telus Sky get going late in the summer
Most of them are out already, not sure the date for DeVille to move out though.

I really hope we get a glamorous mixed-use supertall on the IOL site. They paid through the ass for it, so it makes sense for something very major.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post

A few months ago a Barrista at De Ville told me end of March or May...can't remember which, stupid M months! But we should know soon enough if it is end of March.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:40 AM

Quality is usually better than quantity... Not always though. However, what good is a 450 footer that's very nicely designed if you put it in the middle of 600- 700 footers and it's blocked from veiw in all directions from it? As far as I'm concerned, if you can't appreciate the design because everything else close by is blocking /cutting off the veiw, it just becomes another building with office or residential space IMO!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 3:17 PM
BANNED

Think I caught the Tall Bug now too. Go Tall or go home!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 1:19 AM
I am the law!

300 metres is massive outside the Indian Ocean and China

Oxford is currently working with Foster in Toronto which unfortunately means the IOL site has a decent chance of being the same.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 1:26 AM

I would be amazed if anything happens with the IOL site in the next 5 years. Calgary can't keep absorbing space like this, we aren't New York. That being said, we are already doing far better than I expected with the Bow, EAP, Jamieson, Centennial and all the smaller buildings that went up in the last 5 or 6 years...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates