HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
(it's not always about you)
You are offensive.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
You are offensive.
good lord, some of you are incredibly thin-skinned. my comment was relating to the previous comment, which was a response to my comment about your comment.

too confusing?

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 6:54 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Sigh...

I never said Couch would be getting less traffic, I said the E-W traffic through the Brewery Blocks would be the same, but obviously the westbound traffic would move to Couch. Burnside would become a much nicer street because traffic would be effectively managed and the lights would be timed to eliminate the speeding that occurs now as drivers try to race thru as many intersections as they can before the lights all (simultaneously) turn red again. And the increased traffic on Couch ironically would ALSO be better managed and safer as a result of timed lights. People seem to think more cars makes a street unfriendly to pedestrians but that's not the case. Couch will be even more vital with additional traffic. And yes, it sounds counterintuitive, but Burnside's will become better, not because traffic is reduced, but because traffic will be tamed and additional amenities can be added to the pedestrian realm.
How would adding more cars, and not just more cars but currently Couch is a local street, a couplet would turn it into an arterial road. Which means majority of its traffic it would be getting would be cars pass through the area rather than going to the area. In any of my urban planning classes I have taken, I have never once been told adding traffic would be a good idea.

And again I will point out, what is wrong with the idea of leaving Burnside the way it is and making Couch through the Pearl District a pedestrian street? If it is chaotic with pedestrians and cars, then it sounds to me that cars are the problem, not the pedestrians....because if I am not mistaken, that is what we should be building cities for, and this is a district downtown, not a shopping center in Beaverton.

Also, just for the record (which I don't think it was referred to me, but I want to make it clear) I did not say you said Couch would get less traffic, but I disagree with your statement that the traffic on Couch would stay the same. Which is not true because the nature of why people would be driving on Couch would change with the couplet, so nothing of the current street would really stay the same.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 7:38 PM

How about we get back to the topic of the original thread?

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 8:21 PM

↑ Or maybe start a new thread.....

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
This seriously sounds like an over reaction to the street
yup

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 9:14 PM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
good lord, some of you are incredibly thin-skinned. my comment was relating to the previous comment, which was a response to my comment about your comment.

too confusing?
Nah.. Rsbear is the biggest troll of this website. IMO.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 10:04 PM

With all due respect, I really don't think rsbear qualifies as a "troll". Temperamental, maybe . He's been contributing here for years...

Last week when I was down by the Black Box I noticed that one of the shops was already open. Maybe Blackbird?

Also, can someone change the title of this thread? Have our mods cut and run?

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 11:00 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by designpdx View Post
How about we get back to the topic of the original thread?
You're kidding, right? The only accurate thing about the title of this thread is X Feet, as the rehabbed building is closer to ten feet tall than it is to the height of the steel and glass structure we were expecting, even AFTER the original Weave got chopped down. X Feet indeed. I'm not complaining though. The Weave was a bold idea, but perhaps too bold and with bad luck for timing. Regardless, there is no Weave nor will there ever be. Not here, anyway.

...so ...about that couplet

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
\Last week when I was down by the Black Box I noticed that one of the shops was already open. Maybe Blackbird??

I walked by today and it looked from a quick glance that the whole thing was leased out with shops, maybe two/three of them? Didn't have time to check closely enough. That's a good sign either for the economy, or just this location, or hopefully both.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 11:59 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
With all due respect, I really don't think rsbear qualifies as a "troll". Temperamental, maybe . He's been contributing here for years...

Last week when I was down by the Black Box I noticed that one of the shops was already open. Maybe Blackbird?

Also, can someone change the title of this thread? Have our mods cut and run?
I enjoy reading everyones contributions for sure. He and I just argued over Target/ big retailers on a thread once. I should probably just let it go: .

My bad.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 4:51 PM

Back to the original purpose of this thread, I think the restored building is a great outcome for this site. New development like the Weave would be even better on the adjacent parking lot.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 6:05 PM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Back to the original purpose of this thread, I think the restored building is a great outcome for this site. New development like the Weave would be even better on the adjacent parking lot.
I agree.
The original project would have demolished this building, and now it just goes to show that the building did have a chance at life. The design was bold but somewhat ill conceived. Hopefully they will work on it and find an empty or derelict site to do this building ion n the future.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 11:22 PM

There are 4 new shops in here that just opened in the past week! I don't remember the name of all of them but one is Blackbird and another is Tanner Goods. It's so nice to see some retail activating this corner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
I walked by today and it looked from a quick glance that the whole thing was leased out with shops, maybe two/three of them? Didn't have time to check closely enough. That's a good sign either for the economy, or just this location, or hopefully both.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland