HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
I'd also like to see some improvements from cyclists over the highway. Fern Street isn't so bad, but the Main Street/Dollarton transition is probably the worst/most dangerous section for bikes on all of the north shore (especially eastbound).
There is a pedestrian/cyclist overpass planned at Crown. Hopefully it will tie in nicely with the expanded paths on the Second Narrows.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
I'm also guessing that once they finish with this northshore section they'll move towards removing the bottle neck of the McGill exit. Only having 2 through lanes on each side makes little sense. Change the forced exit lanes into through lanes and create merge lanes for access to McGill.
Oh god yes. Leave it to bc to build it this way. They add an additional lane each direction for like 35 km and then stop leavingit 4 lanes for a few 100 metres.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Oh god yes. Leave it to bc to build it this way. They add an additional lane each direction for like 35 km and then stop leavingit 4 lanes for a few 100 metres.
Wouldn't it be nice: they could have an HOV lane from Langley all the way to DoNV... maybe even West Van in the near future.

I know that merge from Capilano to westbound Hwy 1 is a nightmare! Sorry, did I say merge...? I meant yield! Who puts a yield to go onto a freeway?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:11 PM
See ya down under, mates

They'd have to redo the Cap river bridge to fix that terrible death trap on ramp. It was scary even back in the mid 80s with half the population.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
They'd have to redo the Cap river bridge to fix that terrible death trap on ramp. It was scary even back in the mid 80s with half the population.
I know... it would not be a cheap or easy fix.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:32 PM

Cap interchange is a death trap! Even going over the cap bridge is horrible with that tight curve. They finally put some arrows up highlighting the curve that you can see at night. Otherwise it would take you by surprise if not familiar with area

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 8:55 PM

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 12:04 AM

Way more detailed. Thanks!

I'm a bit (only slightly) surprised that they still only have a bubble for the Main Street/Hwy 1 off ramp area. I also wonder if the new way for buses leaving Phibbs to go over the 2nd Narrows will make it slower...? At least the new way will put them directly into the lane they need to be. I personally would prefer a wider overpass for Hwy 1 over Main to accommodate a transit only onramp lane where Main-> Hwy 1 traffic would merge into it. Thus providing priority for transit. But I guess that can be accommodated with a properly timed transit light.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 1:26 AM
See ya down under, mates

So Fern street remains a cul de sac, but those of us coming from the west have to get on the highway at the new Brooksbank onramp or Main street. Interesting.

It's like that near Edgemont Village too, being able to go over the highway but not connect to it, and I always found it annoying, but it makes more sense here.

And I'm surprised at how little they're doing to the southern interchange. That perfectly circular Main st off ramp feels so ancient, no real bank at all.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 2:31 AM

To get onto the 2nd Narrows from Keith Road, you go over the new overpass, make a right, cross over the old overpass, then loop.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 5:50 AM
See ya down under, mates

I thought you were joking but that actually works. Might need a barf bag after all those turns.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 6:12 AM

Weeee!

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 5:58 PM

The old overpass limits how many lanes are on Hwy 1. I'm surprised they are leaving it intact. I suppose that overpass's replacement would be tied to the creek bridge replacement. Both need replacing before they can contemplate adding more lanes or HOV lanes.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:00 PM

I know this is a very rough sketch and I'm not sure if the grades would work but I feel that an elevated roundabout would be a much more elegant solution for that interchange.

http://imgur.com/FCbKTYP

EDIT: Needed to add a westbound Highway 1 onramp.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
I know this is a very rough sketch and I'm not sure if the grades would work but I feel that an elevated roundabout would be a much more elegant solution for that interchange.

http://imgur.com/FCbKTYP

EDIT: Needed to add a westbound Highway 1 onramp.
I remember we had something similar to this on NO.5 road and HWY 99 in Richmond before HWY91 was built.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 7:12 PM
See ya down under, mates

While that design might be more efficient it seems like everyone's goal is to make Mr Seymour Parkway and Keith feel like one continuous east-west road that's easy to bike/walk over, and that wouldn't help in that way.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 7:24 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
To get onto the 2nd Narrows from Keith Road, you go over the new overpass, make a right, cross over the old overpass, then loop.
Don't forget there will also be the new Mountain Hwy/Keith Road intersection that we hopefully take most of that Eastbound Hwy traffic from West of Lynn Creek.

This will likely take a little bit of the traffic off of lower Mountain Hwy and onto Brooksbank, which is not necessarily the worst thing in the world. I still think that the Lynn Creek bridge should be expanded to 6 lanes to help with the new Eastbound merge-lane as well as the Westbound Mt. Seymour Pkwy merge and Mountain Hwy exit.

As for the cycling/pedestrian connection, at this point it kinda leads from nowhere to nowhere. Once the Lower Lynn neighbourhood builds out it will definitely be nice for pedestrians getting to/from the Superstore. I suppose it will help cyclists get to Mt. Seymour Pkwy, but it doesn't do anything for cyclists on Main Street as there is no connection down to Dollarton once you cross the highway. You'd have to go Main St > Mountain Hwy > New Overpass > Seymour Blvd > Mt. Seymour Pkwy > Riverside Drive > Dollarton. No one is going to do that.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
As for the cycling/pedestrian connection, at this point it kinda leads from nowhere to nowhere. Once the Lower Lynn neighbourhood builds out it will definitely be nice for pedestrians getting to/from the Superstore. I suppose it will help cyclists get to Mt. Seymour Pkwy, but it doesn't do anything for cyclists on Main Street as there is no connection down to Dollarton once you cross the highway. You'd have to go Main St > Mountain Hwy > New Overpass > Seymour Blvd > Mt. Seymour Pkwy > Riverside Drive > Dollarton. No one is going to do that.
In terms of cycling/walking between both sides of the highway, I prefer upgrading the current route which takes you under the highway on the east bank of Lynn Creek (under the orange bridge).

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 6:23 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
In terms of cycling/walking between both sides of the highway, I prefer upgrading the current route which takes you under the highway on the east bank of Lynn Creek (under the orange bridge).
That is a perfectly fine pedestrian route to get to the Lynnmour area but it is not great on a bike with the loose gravel and ridiculously sharp turns trying to get back onto Keith/Mountain Hwy. It also does nothing for those heading to Dollarton/Maplewood. It should be upgraded, but there definitely needs to be a better connection in the Main Street/Dollarton area.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:08 PM
victory in near

So exit 22A is gone? (that was a short lived exit!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure