HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 10:35 PM
National Capital Region

2.5m wide paved shoulders is nice. The typical standard in Ottawa's road guidelines is 2.5m total with 1.5-2.0m paved. The roundabout also has separate crossing for bikes and by-passes of the roundabout for bikes, if you don't feel like taking the lane.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 11:50 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
As 'interesting' as the 3 lane proposal is, I think the 4 lane option is the best. It would take (guessing) 15-30 minutes each day to shift the traffic flow due to the length of the 3 lane proposal. Also... why so many roundabouts? All the intersections besides West Hunt Club & Moodie will have a roundabout.
I'd put one there, too.

Roundabouts eliminate the possibility of running red lights.

Quote:
Can all that truck traffic (mostly dump trucks I've noticed) handle those roundabouts effectively?
They're no worse than turning through intersections, and probably better.

Quote:
I would put signals at West Hunt Club and Old Richmond instead of the awkwardly shaped 3-way roundabout. But that's just my opinion.
I'd just move the roundabout a bit further to the northeast and make it a proper 3-way roundabout with the roads at about 120° from each other.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 5:35 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ontario drivers paying up to 90 per cent of road infrastructure costs: study

By Maria Babbage, The Canadian Press October 17, 2013 12:00 PM

TORONTO - Ontario drivers are covering most of the costs of road infrastructure, while those in the Toronto-Hamilton area are paying far more than their share, a new study has found.

The report released Thursday found Ontario road users driving cars, minivans, SUVs and light pickup trucks are paying 70 to 90 per cent of the costs of the road through fuel taxes, vehicle registration fees and tolls, to the tune of $7.5 billion a year.

But those in the GTHA are paying about $1 billion more in fees and taxes than the annual cost of construction, maintenance and policing, according to the study by the Conference Board of Canada.

"Motorists in Ontario meet at least a large portion of the costs that they impose on the road infrastructure — and in major urban areas probably much more than those costs," it said.

"If we look at the total cost of driving, including vehicle costs, cost recovery will tend to be closer to 100 per cent."

The study, which was initiated and paid for by the Canadian Automobile Association, looked at figures from 2008 to 2010 — the most recent year for which data was available, the Conference Board said.

It notes that municipalities that own and maintain a large part of the infrastructure collect a relatively small portion of the revenues.

The CAA said the study sheds new light on the common misconception that road users are heavily subsidized by taxpayers, as the debate heats up over new levies to relieve congestion in the Toronto-Hamilton area.

"Before any decisions can be made about new revenue tools (tolls, taxes and increased fees), it is essential to understand who pays for our road network," Theresa Di Felice, a director at CAA South Central Ontario, said in a statement.

The findings of the report don't remove policy options like congestion charges, but it does challenge conventional thinking about who pays for road infrastructure, Conference Board director Vijay Gill said in a release.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne insists the province will have to charge new fees to bring in the $2 billion a year that's needed to upgrade public transit in the Toronto-Hamilton area.

Metrolinx, the transit planning agency, estimates the average household in the region will end up paying $477 more a year in taxes to shave five minutes off the current average daily commute.

It's recommended a hike in the harmonized sales tax, a five-cent-a-litre regional gas tax, a $350-million-a-year business parking levy and $100 million a year in development charges.

Wynne's argument for new fees doesn't hold water, said NDP critic Gilles Bisson.

Investments must be made in public transit, but not on the backs of already overburdened workers who can't afford to pay more, he said.

"To go back, yet again, to citizens and say, here, we want you to pay more taxes or user fees or whatever, is just beyond the pale," he said.

"The public has had enough," Bisson said, particularly since the Liberals are wasting about a billion dollars for cancelling two gas plants ahead of the 2011 election.

"They see this gas plant debacle and they say, 'And you want to come and tax me after you've just done that?'" he said.

The Liberals should cut back spending and find the $2 billion in their $128-billion budget, but they refuse to do that, said the Progressive Conservatives, who oppose any new fees.

"They just said, 'Oh no, we won't do anything like that at all, we're not going to try to make any cuts or any changes ... we're just going to jack taxes,'" said government accountability critic Doug Holyday, a former Toronto city councillor and deputy mayor.

"That's always the Liberal answer. And it's always wrong."

But the Tories are still supporting a multibillion-dollar plan to build a subway in Toronto's east end that requires the city to hike property taxes.

Holyday started a petition supporting the city's preferred subway route, which will be longer and more expensive than the path the Liberals want, even though the province is kicking in the lion's share of the cost.

The governing Liberals have promised $1.4 billion for the shorter line in Scarborough, while the federal government has promised $660 million.

Toronto property taxes will rise a total of 1.6 per cent over the next three years to pay for the project, or about $40 annually for the average home owner.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/cars/On...500/story.html

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 9:10 PM
National Capital Region

Greenbank/SW Transitway extension open house 2
http://ottawa.ca/sites/ottawa.ca/fil..._oh2_db_en.pdf

Cambrian widening open house 3
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...october-3-2013

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 11:47 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City named in $2.5M countersuit filed by pedestrian bridge contractor

By Joanne Chianello, OTTAWA CITIZEN October 23, 2013

OTTAWA — The City of Ottawa has been named in a counterclaim filed by Louis W. Bray Construction looking for damages totalling more than $2.5 million over the botched Airport Parkway pedestrian bridge.

The problems plaguing the pedestrian bridge have been well publicized, although this Lawsuit has to do with the first problem of the faulty concrete rather than the more recent issue over the allegedly questionable design of the bridge.

In the spring of 2012, the contractor for the pedestrian bridge — Louis W. Bray Construction — ordered an assessment of the crumbling concrete that had been used to pour the bottom part of the central tower in the bridge. On receiving the report, Bray ordered the tower to be torn down.

R. W. Tomlinson Ltd. (doing business as Cumberland Ready Mix) was the subcontractor on the project and responsible for the concrete that was originally used in the tower. Bray used another concrete supplier — Lafarge Canada — in the reconstructing.

Last summer, Tomlinson sued Bray Construction over the issue.

Now, Bray is turning around and countersuing Tomlinson — and adding in the city for good measure, according to a document filed with the Ontario Superior Court on Oct. 7.

According to the counterclaim, Bray is looking for damages from the city and from Tomlinson’s Cumberland Ready Mix of more than $2.5 million. The counterclaim includes: $1.29 million for breach of contract and negligence (and the equivalent of what Bray says it paid out to get the original concrete tested and repoured), $1 million for delay and impact, and $333,750 for funds “currently withheld by the City.”

Bray’s countersuit goes on to make a number of claims, including allegations that the city “failed to properly coordinate” employees and subcontractors; “failed to ensure a workable design was provided for the project,” and “failed to make decisions in a timely and efficient manner,” among other things.

Bray’s countersuit also alleges that “the concrete materials specified by the City were inadequate” to meet the contract requirements for the bridge.

None of the allegations in the countersuit has been proven in court.

jchianello@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/jchianello
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ci...110/story.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 2:13 PM

As for the Greenbank extension, I would just keep it linear to Viewbank/Barnsdale then run it slightly curved towards the Bankfield/416 interchange, giving it a new identity while existing Greenbank remains a minor arterial.

Re: the transit corridor south of Barrhaven Centre; I think they should have a potential alignment as far south as Bankfield (where a massive Park and Ride could be built) but no timeline for construction.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 5:29 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Bridge-savvy engineer would cost $120K

By Jon Willing, Ottawa Sun

Updated: Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:57 PM EDT

Hiring a new structural engineer would cost city taxpayers $120,000, but that might be the price of making sure bridges are built properly in Ottawa.

The draft 2014 infrastructure budget calls for the addition of a senior structural engineering advisor, a position that's required "to provide technical expertise and advice for management of bridge and structural assets and design and construction of all structure-related projects."

The budget goes on: "Based on recent issues associated with bridge projects, the position is deemed to be required to ensure structural integrity, constructability and lifecycle management of all structural assets."

The $6.9-million Airport Pkwy. pedestrian bridge being built in the South Keys area is half done, but the rest of the work is on hold while the city figures out how to finish it.

It's becoming a real legal mess, with the city firing architect Genivar for allegedly not agreeing to fix the design and Genivar claiming that the city damaged its reputation during a press conference earlier this month.

Then there are the lawsuits.

The city is suing Genivar in a run-of-the-mill construction claim involving the design of duct work on the bridge, and the city is named in a $2.6-million counterclaim over crumbling concrete on the bridge.

The concrete didn't set properly and workers had to demolish the bridge tower and rebuild it.

Another delayed project is the $50-million Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge, which had some welding issues, but a bigger problem surfaced when the original contractor went into receivership. The bridge is scheduled to open later in 2014.

In the west end, the opening of the $4.5-million Hazeldean Rd. Bridge over the Carp River was delayed because it sank slightly when supports were removed.

Several other bridges are either being constructed or planned.

There's the $8.8-million footbridge being built across Hwy. 417 to connect the Ottawa Stadium with the Via Rail station.

The city wants to build a $7-million footbridge over the Rideau River connecting Somerset St. East and Donald St.

And one day the city wants to build a $17.5-million footbridge over the Rideau Canal between Fifth Ave. and Clegg St.

The infrastructure branch is adding two other positions in its transportation unit and building and parks unit, while the Service Ottawa program has found efficiencies to eliminate another position in the department.

The municipal public service would shrink by 55 positions if council approves the 2014 budget.

Twitter: @JonathanWilling

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/10/24/...ould-cost-120k

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Ontario drivers paying up to 90 per cent of road infrastructure costs: study
Drivers don't pay for road infrastructure... taxpayers do.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
Drivers don't pay for road infrastructure... taxpayers do.
You either don't own a car or you didn't read the article.

"The report released Thursday found Ontario road users driving cars, minivans, SUVs and light pickup trucks are paying 70 to 90 per cent of the costs of the road through fuel taxes, vehicle registration fees and tolls, to the tune of $7.5 billion a year."

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 2:48 PM

Quote:
+1

Amazingly, there are a multitude of taxes paid on every drop of fuel, and anyone who fills up a car at the pumps will be faced with a colourful pie chart stating this. In Ontario, nearly 40% of the cost of gas is taxes - provincial tax, dedicated gas tax for roads, federal, etc.

Only cigarettes have a higher percentage of taxes!

Here's a helpful chart:

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/fuelsavings/2139.aspx

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3i6 View Post
You can argue with me. I'm perfectly fine with debate. I've been proven wrong before and I can admit when I'm wrong.

But you can leave out the personal attack.

Quote:
"The report released Thursday found Ontario road users driving cars, minivans, SUVs and light pickup trucks are paying 70 to 90 per cent of the costs of the road through fuel taxes, vehicle registration fees and tolls, to the tune of $7.5 billion a year."
But my understanding is that most of the fees & taxes (whatever they are officlally called) aren't dedicated (via legislation) to road infrastructure. They go into general revenues. One could easily state that the money was spent on health care (to cover costs for accidents victims) or the environment (to reduce polution) which could be true since most of the money came from general revenues.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
You can argue with me. I'm perfectly fine with debate. I've been proven wrong before and I can admit when I'm wrong.

But you can leave out the personal attack.

But my understanding is that most of the fees & taxes (whatever they are officlally called) aren't dedicated (via legislation) to road infrastructure. They go into general revenues. One could easily state that the money was spent on health care (to cover costs for accidents victims) or the environment (to reduce polution) which could be true since most of the money came from general revenues.
Correct, they are mostly for general revenues - i.e. more money for gas plant scandals, Senate scandals, gun registries, G20 waste, eHealth consultants, etc.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 7:29 PM

Amazingly, accountants can keep track of income from a number of sources against various kinds expenses without hermetically sealing them off into different funds. What a world we live in!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Amazingly, accountants can keep track of income from a number of sources against various kinds expenses without hermetically sealing them off into different funds. What a world we live in!
Witch! Burn the witch!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Someone - or something - MUST have paid you to write this!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
True.

But do our governments actually keep track of which sources of income went to which item of spending especially when the income is collected by a different level of government? This study simply added fees + taxes that drivers (including myself) pay and compared it to infrastructure costs. Even if it adds up that doesn't mean that's where the money went. Most roads fall under municipal jurisdiction while most of the fees & taxes are collected by higher levels of government.

Last edited by Capital Shaun; Nov 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:16 AM

417 Hunt Club interchange

Has anyone passed by this area lately? Is work progressing? Any ideas on completion date?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 4:33 AM

I last passed by on November 2nd. The off/on ramps are almost completely finished (especially the westbound offramp, it looked like it could have been paved right then and there) but the bridges are still coming along--it's not just the overpass that has bridges, the ramps also have some over the creeks. Definitely more progress than when I saw the previous time, which was the Thanksgiving long weekend.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 2:19 AM

I drove by on the weekend, changes since then have been incremental

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 2:24 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Delayed bridge projects justify need for more oversight, councillor says

Structural engineer would oversee major city projects

By Derek Spalding, OTTAWA CITIZEN November 19, 2013 8:02 PM

OTTAWA — In light of recently botched bridge projects, the city plans to hire a new structural engineer who will provide more oversight design and construction of Ottawa infrastructure.

The senior position approved by the environment committee on Tuesday is expected to cost an estimated $120,000 a year and will provide technical expertise and advice for management of all structure related projects, according to a description included in the draft 2014 budget for infrastructure services.

Coun. Diane Holmes applauded the decision to hire the engineer, saying this is one of the positions lost during amalgamation. Without it, the city has sorely lacked oversight for some key projects, including the most recent failure of the $6.9-million Airport Parkway pedestrian and cycling bridge in the Capital ward.

“We’ve been relying on the engineers of the companies building the structures. We haven’t had the capacity to provide the proper oversight,” Holmes said.

The Somerset ward councillor said she had recently thought about proposing the creation of such a position, which she thinks will alleviate a lot of pressure from the city’s legal team, who have to battle with contractors when a project stumbles into problems.

“Certainly, our own legal department is spending a significant amount of time dealing with these problems,” she said.

The city was recently named in a counterclaim filed by Louis W. Bray Construction in a court battle that seeks damages totalling more than $2.5 million over early concrete issues with the Airport Parkway bridge. This is just one of the problems that has stalled the project that is now two years in the making.

This fight does not include the latest announcement in early October that the city fired the bridge’s engineering design firm Genivar. The city has now hired a new firm to come up with a new plan to complete the project.

The draft budget approved by environment committee members specifically outlines the recent infrastructure problems.

“Based on recent issues associated with bridge projects, the position is deemed to be required to ensure structural integrity, constructability and efficient life cycle management of all structural assets,” according to the document.

dspalding@ottawacitizen.com

Twitter.com/Derek_Spalding
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technol...603/story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation