HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Make it 6 dead in a week. Two teens were killed in the latest crash... Terrible.
what's sad is how many people could still be alive today over the years had this intersection been an interchange...like any intersection should be on high speed roads.

it is terribly sad.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Article in today's Freep about the intersection and how an interchange was scheduled to be built there in 2007, design was finalized, funding was in place and then "today's" NDP (as they liked to call themselves then) kiboshed the project for reasons only they know!

Residents demand action after deadly highway intersection claims more lives

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...442077203.html

for those who can't get past the paywall here is an excerpt:

It turns out there were plans for an interchange to be built in 2007, but they fell through. At the time, the provincial and federal governments both announced plans to invest in infrastructure in the region.

"It was discussed. There were fairly detailed plans. There was a big announcement and they said they had money set aside, but nothing was ever built," Portage Mayor Irvine Ferris said.

A spokesman for the province confirmed Monday plans for an interchange at the intersection were "announced in 2007, however it was not completed," although he gave no indication as to why.

"Well that’s the question that needs to be answered. What happened?" Ferris said.

Stoplights 'clearly not working'
The speed limit on the highway was also raised to 110 kilometres an hour, up from 100, which Ferris said increases the need for an interchange.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 5:32 PM

Apparently it was due to money being spent on flooding. At least that's the rumours which make perfect sense. Spent hundreds of millions on flood mitigation and it had to come from somewhere.

PTH 59/101 interchange was on a similar timeline and was put on hold at around the same time.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 5:34 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Apparently it was due to money being spent on flooding. At least that's the rumours which make perfect sense. Spent hundreds of millions on flood mitigation and it had to come from somewhere.

PTH 59/101 interchange was on a similar timeline and was put on hold at around the same time.

Yeah - highway 3 and 100 also would have been done by now if not for the flood.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
PTH59/101 was actually a victim of the 97 "Flood of a Century". That is why the temporary traffic light detour remained in place for 20+ years and took at least one life in a very high profile accident.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 5:19 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
We've had poor governance by both ruling political parties forever here, the last competent provincial govt. was that of Duff Roblin!
I was born on Election Day of his last term, June 23rd (think 2/3 cup), 1966.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manito...election,_1966

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Flood of the century (1997) was a decade before the interchange (1/16) was to be built and four years before the 2011 flood, the interchange should have already been completed by 2011. The real reason the interchange was cancelled was because the money was reallocated for the hairbrained Centreport Roads to nowhere project from the NDP regime, "build it and they might come" which turned out to be more wishful thinking than anything else (once again)!

PS just to be clear I wasn't referring to the PTH 59/101 interchange ^

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:40 AM

Would anyone have any information on it and when the province may finally give some much needed attention to highway 15 between Dugald and Anola? This highway is in horrible shape and hasn't seen work in decades. It also sees it's fair share of traffic ..

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 10:31 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Would anyone have any information on it and when the province may finally give some much needed attention to highway 15 between Dugald and Anola? This highway is in horrible shape and hasn't seen work in decades. It also sees it's fair share of traffic ..
The plan was basically to build a dual carriageway highway out past 206. I have no reason to think that that plan has been cancelled but nobody can ever say in Manitoba. In any case, that's probably why no work has been done on the highway. The province is well aware of the traffic issues and knows that it's only going to get busier with so much growth in Oakbank.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 12:58 PM
Heart of the Continent

I'm sure there's some reason they haven't. Virtually every provincial highway and road in the capital region that warrants twinning is twinned.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 1:42 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
I speak regularly with MIT and have heard about all the major projects out to about 2023 and Hwy 15 has never come up. There could be some resurfacing and shoulder work in the future, but no major improvements are scheduled.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:14 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I speak regularly with MIT and have heard about all the major projects out to about 2023
So buddy....

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure HWY 15 between 206 and 207 was last underwent a significant resurface/rebuild around 1995.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
The plan was basically to build a dual carriageway highway out past 206. I have no reason to think that that plan has been cancelled but nobody can ever say in Manitoba. In any case, that's probably why no work has been done on the highway. The province is well aware of the traffic issues and knows that it's only going to get busier with so much growth in Oakbank.
The planning to "twin HWY 15" basically goes back to the late 80s/early 90s. I know there was a public consultation done of the proposed routes. The initial phase had determined twinning in place was not viable for a number of reasons and the route would be relocated north running between Dugald and Oak Bank in terms of the 206 side with a roughly parallel path to the CN main line in terms of the east-west path. As the traffic studies at the time had determined a large volume of traffic between 101 and 206 on HWY 15 was Oak Bank origin/destination the project was, from my memory, called the Oak Bank Corridor route.

The project was proceeding nicely at the time and had some true traction with the government of the day. Then the 97 flood happened putting a number of projects on-hold (hello 101/59 interchange). Toss in a change of government in 99 and the project located in an extremely loyal PC riding and it slid further onto the backburner, resulting in the current state of things.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:13 PM

I am referring to the section of PTH15 east of Dugald up to Anola. I am aware of the plans in the past to twin from 101 to 206, but my understanding is that 15 would remain single lane undivided east of Dugald. And that's ok. The issue is the last layer of topcoat that was applied probably 20 years ago or more is mostly broken away, resulting in an extremely rough surface condition. It's embarrassing and easily one of the (if the the) worst highways in the metro Winnipeg area.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:07 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Pretty sure HWY 15 between 206 and 207 was last underwent a significant resurface/rebuild around 1995.

The planning to "twin HWY 15" basically goes back to the late 80s/early 90s. I know there was a public consultation done of the proposed routes. The initial phase had determined twinning in place was not viable for a number of reasons and the route would be relocated north running between Dugald and Oak Bank in terms of the 206 side with a roughly parallel path to the CN main line in terms of the east-west path. As the traffic studies at the time had determined a large volume of traffic between 101 and 206 on HWY 15 was Oak Bank origin/destination the project was, from my memory, called the Oak Bank Corridor route.

The project was proceeding nicely at the time and had some true traction with the government of the day. Then the 97 flood happened putting a number of projects on-hold (hello 101/59 interchange). Toss in a change of government in 99 and the project located in an extremely loyal PC riding and it slid further onto the backburner, resulting in the current state of things.
Yes, and if I recall correctly, it wasn't all that long ago that there was a public consultation. I seem to remember hearing something not very long ago about this very matter.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 7:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Would it help if people lobby harder for interchanges at 1/16? (Later on, at 207 outside of Winnipeg, at 248 at Elie, and at 10 at Brandon as well.)
Like, these aren't mere statistics. They're people.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 7:30 PM

Organizing people and pushing for a specific cause never hurts, especially if that organization starts rounding up fact based research to support their position.

Something else that can help if there is some credibility to it is point out the political history of the local area involved and how action/inaction could impact that. That said being closer to a swing riding could carry more weight than being highly party loyal.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 2:20 AM

So I just finished driving from Ottawa to Manitoba via Sault St Marie, Duluth MN and Devils Lake ND. Ontario highways are pretty good, Michigan, Wisconsin and North Dakota are excellent. Minnesota's highway could use a bit of work but overall not bad at all. Then I crossed into Manitoba at Lena and wow, what a mess. Patch after patch after patch. Its bloody embarrassing bouncing around like a we are a 4th world country. 18 highway has not seen a decent rebuild in over 40 years and it needs to be dug down to the base and totally redone. I'm not holding my breath.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 2:23 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
So I just finished driving from Ottawa to Manitoba via Sault St Marie, Duluth MN and Devils Lake ND. Ontario highways are pretty good, Michigan, Wisconsin and North Dakota are excellent. Minnesota's highway could use a bit of work but overall not bad at all. Then I crossed into Manitoba at Lena and wow, what a mess. Patch after patch after patch. Its bloody embarrassing bouncing around like a we are a 4th world country. 18 highway has not seen a decent rebuild in over 40 years and it needs to be dug down to the base and totally redone. I'm not holding my breath.
Oops I totally forgot about the existence of this thread.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...150057&page=71
Check #1412.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
We know you are acutely aware of the state of highways in the sparsely-populated southwestern corner of the province, but of all the road infrastructure issues there are to worry about I don't think this one ranks very highly at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan