HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 12:09 AM

Foothills Mall Redevelopment Moving Forward

Originally developed in 1981, the 22-parcel, 68-acre Foothills Mall in unincorporated Pima County will undergo a massive renovation and restoration as a multi-modal live/work/play destination under an ambitious master plan submitted to the county’s Development Services Department last month by owners FHM Partners, LLC.

According to the proposal’s introduction, “Across the country, urban and suburban shopping malls are evolving to create new environments. Consumer interaction with bricks and mortar stores is changing with the increase in online sales activity over the last 5-10 years. This change in behavior and move away from outdated mall concepts provides an incredible opportunity to redevelop and reposition the FHM property to provide a unique, exciting, regional destination and living environment with existing infrastructure to support the multi-dimensional development.”

FHM Partners purchased the site, located at the NWC of Ina Road and La Cholla Boulevard, in Dec., 2016, and has spent the intervening time studying retail and mixed-use properties around the country to develop its plan. Among the planned uses are entertainment, housing, office, retail and hospitality. The current 620KSF building space will undergo a complete redesign and modification. Portions will be demolished to provide enhanced connectivity between all the proposed uses.

To promote pedestrian/cycling activity, partially shaded walkways will be provided and included in the overall circulation plan. Pedestrian connections to the multifamily components are intended, as are linkages to the Pima County trail system.

The plan states in order to realize the consolidated, integrated mixed-use vision the owners have in mind, “an increase in density and intensity of development will be required. Moderately intense uses are already established on the Property and surround it on all sides: multi-family residential to the west, office and commercial uses to the north, and major arterial roadways with office and commercial uses to the south and east. To attain the vision, this Specific Plan permits residential, office and hospitality uses to be 120 feet or up to 10 stories.”

As part of the 15-20-year implementation, the developers will review utility and related needs such as water, sewer and signage on an ongoing, as needed basis. Phasing over the plan’s lifecycle has not yet been established but will be implemented based on market need and demand. Individual development plans will be created and submitted for each component, according to the proposal.

The county Planning & Zoning Department will consider the plan at its Aug. 8 meeting.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 7:30 PM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 5:41 PM

Not sure where they found the renderings, but TIBO has an exciting update on the Main Gate Square hotel (and now apartments). Hotel will now be under the Graduate flag rather than Residence Inn.

http://tiboaz.biz/2018/07/25/large-m...n-gate-square/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Not sure where they found the renderings, but TIBO has an exciting update on the Main Gate Square hotel (and now apartments). Hotel will now be under the Graduate flag rather than Residence Inn.

I like the change in concept and the plans. I hope this version has momentum and moves forward

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:46 PM

It seems that more businesses are closing than opening downtown. Even Stevens has closed. Hydra closed. Proper closed. Brueggers closed. Nestles Toll House Cookies closed. Barrio Sandwiches closed. Supercuts closed. MiAn closed for lunch now. Downtown Kitchen closed for lunch. The vegetarian place next to Urban Fresh closed. Planet Smoothie closed. Feds by Threads closed.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
It seems that more businesses are closing than opening downtown. Even Stevens has closed. Hydra closed. Proper closed. Brueggers closed. Nestles Toll House Cookies closed. Barrio Sandwiches closed. Supercuts closed. MiAn closed for lunch now. Downtown Kitchen closed for lunch. The vegetarian place next to Urban Fresh closed. Planet Smoothie closed. Feds by Threads closed.
Couple things: I thought Even Stevens was sub-par, there are way better sandwiches downtown. Nestle Toll never really took off and with Insomnia Cookies a few blocks away, no need for Nestle. MiAn is open for lunch, just a limited menu that focuses on Poke and Stir fry. Barrio Sandwiches' location was a major factor. Foot traffic down Scott at lunch during the day is non-existent.

I don't know if this is out of the ordinary. You throw a lot of businesses at the area and the better ones survive. Here are the stats for businesses opening and closing downtown:

Downtown Business Trends

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I mean, you're going back over a few years with these, so I don't think this represents a real trend. Also, some of your examples aren't exactly accurate. Downtown Kitchen, if it was ever open for lunch, hasn't been open for lunch for years. At MiAn's price point, it's not surprising they've limited their hours to dinner either. Barrio Sandwiches was a pop-up from day one. I've heard they're looking for a longer term location, though. Even Stevens's closure is evidently temporary while new management takes over, but we'll see on that.

In any case, businesses come and go everywhere. Sometimes, that's reflective of a downward trend for an entire neighborhood but, more often, it's reflective of problematic business plans (e.g., budget hair salons and niche clothing stores in some of the most expensive retail spaces in the city, a chain bakery in a neighborhood that's generally averse to chains and already has numerous bakery/dessert options).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
I like the change in concept and the plans. I hope this version has momentum and moves forward
That property is cursed to be a disintegrating parking lot for years.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:

Daily Star article says they are trying to break ground by late 2018. Would be huge if they did.

Also, I can’t remember the source but I recently saw an article celebrating the sunlinks 4 year anniversary and the communications guy for sunlink envisioned an expanded route within 4 years. East and the airport were two mentioned routes.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Render: Antunovich Associates (via Arizona Daily Star)

I like this better than the original Residence Inn idea. However, it would have been nice if instead of the Flinn something like THIS had gone next to the TCC. Hotel and apartments and retail would have been a much better fit for that area, and a big selling point for the TCC in attracting conventions and drawing people to shows, etc.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 7:15 PM

Per Real Estate Daily News, Serial Grillers will be one of the restaurants at City Park. My guess is they'll be one of the two anchors.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:00 PM

GEICO Regional Headquarters

The Bourn Companies has some renders of the new GEICO office and pictures of the site out on their Facebook page.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:20 AM

Nice looking and glad Tucson is achieving some economic success - hopefully will continue even faster as the reactionary old farts move on to the great NIMBY in the sky...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 5:53 PM

An item regarding the sale of the Broadway Volvo property is on next Tuesday's City Council agenda, so looks like there's a developer on board with the prospective PAD.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 9:20 PM

Bagels got too hot.

Quote:
Also - Bruegger's had a fire. They will re-open once repairs and code upgrades occur.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 12:44 AM

Haven’t seen this rendering here. The water feature looks great. Considering the development team, I’m actually a little optimistic that this project will happen.

I am a little bummed the new project at Williams Center (sounds like Texas Instruments) didn’t happen next to the new CAT building. I had heard rumors they were looking at the lot next door.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/ward6...sity-hotel.png

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 3:12 PM

Someone please help me out and fill in the blanks with references to the info

Total office space downtown:
U/C office space:
Proposed office space:

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
Haven’t seen this rendering here. The water feature looks great. Considering the development team, I’m actually a little optimistic that this project will happen.

I am a little bummed the new project at Williams Center (sounds like Texas Instruments) didn’t happen next to the new CAT building. I had heard rumors they were looking at the lot next door.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/ward6...sity-hotel.png
Yep. I don't think there is any confusion about the fact that "Project Treasure" is Texas Instruments. I don't see how it could be anyone else. This would kill the rumors of their move to the west side. From the leaked details, it does not seem like that big of a deal. I wonder why all the secrecy.

It is good that the Williams Centre empty lot is finally getting some development. That thing has been empty for decades

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Yep. I don't think there is any confusion about the fact that "Project Treasure" is Texas Instruments. I don't see how it could be anyone else. This would kill the rumors of their move to the west side. From the leaked details, it does not seem like that big of a deal. I wonder why all the secrecy.

It is good that the Williams Centre empty lot is finally getting some development. That thing has been empty for decades
I agree, it's not a huge deal. The construction will be nice - money going to the city and to local construction workers, as well as having the final piece of land at the William Center finished - but 35 or so jobs over the next 5 years? Even at the average salary being quoted that's only about an extra million dollars in wages a year added to the local economy. It's better than nothing but really it's nothing to write home about.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:

Is there a rendering? Your attachment is for Main Gate, right? What are they building at Williams Center?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest