HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 6:12 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Lakeview to proceed with hotel expansion
But airport office building up in the air

By: Murray McNeill | Winnipeg Free Press

The recession and credit crunch aren't preventing Lakeview Management Inc. from proceeding with the expansion of its popular airport hotel.

Work is underway on an addition to the firm's Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg hotel at Richardson International Airport.

"The piles are all in and we're well on our way," Lakeview president Keith Levit said in an interview Monday.

The only thing that's still up in the air is how big the addition will be. Levit said it could be anywhere from two to seven storeys, depending on how many extra hotel rooms company officials decide to add.

"We're basically saying, 'Should it be eight, 20 or 38 (rooms)?'" he said, adding they expect to decide within the next two months.

Levit said there's clearly a demand for more hotel rooms at the airport because the Four Points had an occupancy rate of 87 per cent as of the end of 2008, "and it hasn't slowed down in the first two months of this year."

He said what's complicating things is that Lakeview still plans to build a $20-million luxury hotel -- the Grand Winnipeg Airport Hotel -- just down the street and across the road from the new airport terminal that's under construction. That facility will have 100 guest rooms. Levit said work is expected to get underway in the spring of 2010, and will take 18 months to complete.

In addition to the two hotel projects, Lakeview also has the option of building a seven-storey office building on the airport campus. It would be situated between the two hotels and would be linked to both by the Four Points addition on one side, and a two-storey addition to the Grand Winnipeg on the other. Levit said it will likely be at least another year before Lakeview officials decide whether to proceed with the 50,000- to 60,000-square-foot office building. "It's going to be based on pre-leasing and we'll be going out (into the market) relatively soon to see what sort of demand there is for that kind of space."

Lakeview has also talked about building two new hotels on a downtown property it owns immediately west of the Winnipeg Convention Centre on St. Mary Avenue.

But Levit said those two projects -- one seven storeys and the other seven-to-16 storeys, are on the back burner until the economy improves.

The Four Points addition will include a new banquet hall, four new meeting rooms and five new hotel rooms on the first two floors. Some meeting rooms in the Four Points will also be converted to three new hotel rooms, giving it at least eight new rooms. Levit said that phase of the expansion project should be complete by the end of September.

murray.mcneill@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 6:58 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Plane makes 'belly landing' at airport

Winnipeg Free Press - Mar. 3, 2009

A plane carrying 10 people was forced to make a ‘belly landing’ at Winnipeg's James Richardson International Airport about 12:15 p.m. today after experiencing problems with its landing gear.

Two pilots and eight passengers were aboard the plane.

With emergency crews watching on the runway, the plane safely landed and there was no sign of fire as it skidded to a stop, according to a witness.

The plane is currently surrounded by rescue vehicles and police. Passengers have been off-loaded, and are being assessed for injuries.

More information will be available shortly

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 1:51 PM
Capitalist

Its good to see the airport hotel expansion going ahead this spring.

With all the projects occurring all at once the airport campus will be a very busy.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 2:40 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Plane makes 'belly landing' at airport

Winnipeg Free Press - Mar. 3, 2009

A plane carrying 10 people was forced to make a ‘belly landing’ at Winnipeg's James Richardson International Airport about 12:15 p.m. today after experiencing problems with its landing gear.
Wow. Last year I flew on Perimeter up north over a dozen times. I never had any issues with them... it's nice to know they can do these types of landings safely when its needed. Good thing everyone walked away.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 3:34 AM

I've been on that very flight to St. Theresa Point many times, and was scared every time. Glad I don't have to fly with those guys any more. Worst noise proofing ever for a plane, so loud they give you ear protection to wear inside. Pilots all 25 and younger...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
But Levit said those two projects -- one seven storeys and the other seven-to-16 storeys, are on the back burner until the economy improves.
im thinking this is just another excuse for them. havent they been stalling the downtown hotel project for years already?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 4:14 PM

I was at the airport on Saturday picked up some family that came in from London, England. All I have to say is WOW!!!! things are crazy at our airport!

I love whats going on..... it actually looks like a big city airport! I am simply amazed with all the development going on. Our airport is going to look fantasic once it's completed. and that Canada Post Facility is going to be massive!

This is going to be a great first impression to all new visitors!

Let's keep it coming! CentrePort anyone???

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 10:02 PM
Capitalist

Yes.. Centreport will see initial development occuring this spring. I think they have already begun to survey the massive area.

I actually had a close view a couple days ago, as I flew into Winnipeg on business. The back (facing the tarmack) is nearly done and it is very impressive.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
It's a wise decision, given the times we're in right now. They might as well wait until the new terminal is completed, which it will happen by then.

2010? Guess again. Ellis Don is an incredibly bad general contractor. Not that anyone else is actually good.

I tried to post this before, but my computer wasn't working right, so I don't think it worked. I'm working on the new terminal. Ask any questions you might have. Keep in mind, I'm just labor.

Some thoughts, anyway.

The south side is being clad in corrugated galvanized steel. Ugly.

The north side is all open and glass. It's pretty stupid they did that on the side of the building that the sun will never touch. There's also a skylight dead in the middle of the building that's angled to the north. And there's a striped laminate in the glass to block out more sun. I don't know why anyone would make a skylight, then stop light from getting through it.

And the system for the windows is pretty stupid too. They wanted thin mullions but were really cheap, so now we're using frames braced with quarter inch steel plates. The steel plates like to sag and warp the cheap snap-together aluminum frames apart. It's all indicative of the cheapness of the WAA on this thing.

Niggling minor design flaws and shit materials aside, the design on a broad scale is... really, really good. Actually. Nowhere in the interior is anywhere near finished, but still, walking around the curved gate area as the ceilings lift upwards and the whole space opens up and fills with light? Yeah, there have been times where I came.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 3:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

get pics man...

anyhow welcome back biguc

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 5:57 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Boutique jewelry comes to airport
A second Hilary Druxman outlet
By: Murray McNeill
Winnipeg Free Press

March 31/2009

THE sky's the limit for jewelry designer Hilary Druxman's newest retail venture.

The Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc. announced Monday that a Hilary Druxman Design boutique is opening Wednesday at Richardson International Airport.

The new 450-square-foot store -- Druxman's second in the city -- is located on the second floor of the airport terminal across from the food court seating area.

The addition of a Hilary Druxman boutique is a reflection of the WAA's ongoing efforts to add a distinctly Manitoba flavour to the airport's retail lineup.

"We are pleased a Winnipeg-based entrepreneur with an international following is joining our airport retail mix," WAA president and CEO Barry Rempel said in a written statement.

Hilary Druxman general manager Tracey Young said the firm is equally pleased to be opening at store at the airport.

"Forty to 50 per cent of the customers we get at our McDermot Avenue store are from out of town," Young said. "So having a store at the airport makes it super convenient for the ones travelling by air."

It also gives the company a chance to see how well-suited its retail concept is for an airport setting, Young said.

"We thought it would be a great fit. Now we'll have an opportunity to test it out."

If the store does well, the company hopefully can land a spot in the new airport terminal that's scheduled to open in 2010, she added.

The tenants have already been chosen for the nine retail stores and 11 food-and-beverage outlets that will be featured in the new terminal. Their names will be announced within the next few weeks.

However, WAA communications director Christine Alongi said the smaller retail venues in the new terminal -- kiosks, vending carts and vending machines -- have not yet been filled. So Hilary Druxman could have a shot at one of those, she said.

Although Hilary Druxman's products are sold in more than 200 stores in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom, the company now has only two retail outlets of its own. Both are in Winnipeg.

Young said the company used to have a store in Santa Monica, Calif., but closed it after the rent became too costly. She said it opened a store in Winnipeg's Exchange District in 2006 to give it more visibility in its hometown, where it designs and manufactures all its jewelry products.

"This (opening a second store) is just building on that," she said.

Young said the new store features the same kind of display cabinets, lights and fixtures as the downtown outlet.

But unlike the downtown store, which sells both gold and silver jewelry, the new one will carry only silver products .

"We wanted to keep our jewelry accessible (from a pricing point of view)," Young said. "We're going to have pieces here ranging from $30 and up, with a good majority of (them) in the $50 to $60 range."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 6:36 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
2010? Guess again. Ellis Don is an incredibly bad general contractor. Not that anyone else is actually good.

I tried to post this before, but my computer wasn't working right, so I don't think it worked. I'm working on the new terminal. Ask any questions you might have. Keep in mind, I'm just labor.

Some thoughts, anyway.

The south side is being clad in corrugated galvanized steel. Ugly.

The north side is all open and glass. It's pretty stupid they did that on the side of the building that the sun will never touch. There's also a skylight dead in the middle of the building that's angled to the north. And there's a striped laminate in the glass to block out more sun. I don't know why anyone would make a skylight, then stop light from getting through it.

In the energy models they were apparently having troubles controlling the temperatures inside with the south facing glazing and the high ceilings with out using massive amounts of energy. They modified the design to limit the amount and angle of the windows on the south side to compensate for this.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 8:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

makes sens

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 4:11 PM
ILYR

Looks like work is coming along on the airport hotel expansion. From this image it looks like they are preparing the wall of the existing hotel. Has anyone heard any new info on how many storeys it will be? Based on the image it looks like it wont be the 7 stories as planned, but more like 3 or 4. Hopefully their still working on it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 4:17 PM
What could go wrong?

They are building 3 levels right now for amenities and a few more rooms with the intention of building 4 more at a later date. i personally would rather they hold off and not build the additional storey's so they can guarentee that the Grand Winnipeg hotel directly north gets built.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 10:34 PM

here's a link to a youtube clip with construction pics from may 9th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg6rCTKlEqc

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 2:13 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
They are building 3 levels right now for amenities and a few more rooms with the intention of building 4 more at a later date. i personally would rather they hold off and not build the additional storey's so they can guarentee that the Grand Winnipeg hotel directly north gets built.
The target market of the Grand Winnipeg and the current Sheraton do not overlap. The very highend clients which would consider the Grand Winnipeg will probably not consider the middle end business hotel, like the sheraton as an alternative. The comptetion of the Grand Winnipeg would be the Fairmont and the Fort Garry, as they offer the higher end amenities.

Once the economy picks up I am sure we will see a full sized Sheraton expansion and a beautiful new Grand Winnipeg Hotel, side by side.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 4:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Apr 14, 2009

Manitoba’s Planned Aviation Fuel Tax Reduction Sound Investment in Trade

The Government of Manitoba’s planned aviation fuel tax reduction will stimulate economic activity and competitiveness.

The Province of Manitoba has planned for a reduction in aviation fuel tax for cargo flights from 3.2 cents per litre to 1.5 cents per litre, and is expanding the tax exemption for international flights to include all cargo flights to and from the United States beginning July 1, 2009.

"I believe these reductions, combined with the recent negotiations of a liberalized air service agreement with the European Union, will benefit our community,” said Barry Rempel, President and CEO of Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc. "These tax reductions are a sound investment in our future and beneficial for expanding international trade and stimulating economic activity."

“FedEx Express Canada connects many of Canada’s leading exporters to international markets and drives business growth for the country. An aviation fuel tax reduction for cargo flights will benefit a broad swath of the country’s economy, supporting the global competitiveness of Canadian exporters,” said David Binks, President, Federal Express Canada Ltd. “FedEx Express Canada is an advocate of initiatives that increase access to growing domestic and international markets, particularly during economic downturns.”

Winnipeg’s James Armstrong Richardson International Airport has 24-hour operations and serves as Canada’s air express hub. FedEx Express Canada is a major carrier at the airport and offers connections to, from and through Winnipeg with both its domestic and international distribution networks.

Winnipeg Airports Authority serves our region by providing value to our customers and community. A source of pride for our community, we strive to be a leader in its growth and development.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 5:39 PM
Capitalist

Does anyone have the inside scoup when the new airport Greyhound station will actually open for business??

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Does anyone have the inside scoup when the new airport Greyhound station will actually open for business??
I had a look at it on my way to $VEGAS$ last week and I was suprised how small it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan