HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:38 AM

The first floor has Forever 21 & H&M in the way of building a new corridor.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 5:29 PM

Another new store coming to Polo soon, Icing by Claire's where Claire's used to be.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 6:44 PM

Loblaw's is currently soliciting people interested in running the former Extra Foods locations on Main St and Notre Dame in Winnipeg as No Frills locations. This would be consistent with information regarding the Main St location that the company had retained the site in their portfolio.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 6:48 PM

^ Good news. I'm sure a No Frills would do well there. Any word on the old Notre Dame store?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 8:07 PM

Both former Extra Foods, Notre Dame and Main St, are currently soliciting for a franchisee to operate the locations as No Frills. They are currently separate proposals but likely nothing stopping someone wanting both sites from bidding on them.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Both former Extra Foods, Notre Dame and Main St, are currently soliciting for a franchisee to operate the locations as No Frills. They are currently separate proposals but likely nothing stopping someone wanting both sites from bidding on them.
No Frills are great stores. Better than a Giant Tiger or something to that effect. The prices are exactly what these areas desire. Especially on Main street. Co-op is pricier than Safeway from what I've seen. Of course, that could have a lot to do with the fact that I've only been to the south end locations...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:46 PM

There was an article in the news about 1 year ago and it stated the guy who owned Food Fare in Winnipeg was interested in the Notre Dame store but the inventory shrink caused him to back out.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
There was an article in the news about 1 year ago and it stated the guy who owned Food Fare in Winnipeg was interested in the Notre Dame store but the inventory shrink caused him to back out.
Yeah, people sort of forget why it is that food deserts form in the inner city...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
But yet Safeway at Sargent and Sherbrook is still viable? The Notre Dame Extra Foods is only a block away.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:58 PM

Safeway has in back a big secure holding cell at that store and from what people that I know that work for Safeway say it gets quite a lot of use.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 5:55 AM

Well Looks Like Bluenotes Is Making Return To Polo Park

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 12:52 AM

Which area is that?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Which area is that?
Location Polo Park Shopping Center

Last edited by horrorbro123; Nov 1, 2014 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:22 AM

I meant where in Polo lol.

Victoria Secret at St Vital will be opening in a couple of weeks.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:37 PM

Had to post this with so much talk about PP..It's changed a wee bit..

Way back when...

Bill Hillman - http://www.hillmanweb.com/brandon/42.html

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 7:18 AM

Bluenotes is open, 1st floor between HMV and Apple Store

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Safeway has in back a big secure holding cell at that store and from what people that I know that work for Safeway say it gets quite a lot of use.
Is that even legal? Making a citizens arrest I guess, if that is even legal. I'm pretty sure unless you're an officer of the law, you can't hold someone in a cell like that. Even if you catch them red handed stealing something. Or am I wrong on that?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Is that even legal? Making a citizens arrest I guess, if that is even legal. I'm pretty sure unless you're an officer of the law, you can't hold someone in a cell like that. Even if you catch them red handed stealing something. Or am I wrong on that?
I had a friend who worked at that store and can corroborate that they do indeed have a holding cell. As for the legality:

After catching my daughter shoplifting, the store owner detained her in a back room of the store and told her he was going to call the police. Did he have the right to do that?

Yes. You may have heard the term "citizen's arrest". This means that any citizen has a limited right to arrest another person if they are seen committing an indictable offence or if they believe on reasonable and probable grounds that someone has recently committed a crime and it is not feasible for the police to make an arrest. The most common form of citizen's arrest involves shoplifting. These are usually made by store detectives or personnel. Having detained your daughter, the store owner must call the police immediately and let them take over as soon as they arrive.

Source: http://www.law-faqs.org/wiki/index.p..._to_do_that.3F

That's from Alberta law, but one could assume it would be similar in MB.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Property owners, and agents in their employ (private security officers) have expanded powers of arrest over and above what a citizen has.

S. 494 of the Criminal Code lays out the provisions for powers of arrest in Canada. Property owners can make an arrest for any crime on or in relation to their property (e.g. shoplifting). Not just indictable (serious) offences.

Anyone who makes an arrest who is not a peace officer must "...forthwith deliver the person to a peace officer..."

So, holding a shoplifter in a cell until the police arrive is consistent with this requirement. If it takes 3 hours for the police to show up after being called, so be it.

So yeah, Safeway can do this legally.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 3:32 PM

Given how often Crime Stoppers is looking for guys who made off with meat (or tried to) from a grocery store "on the 600 block of Sargent Avenue", it's a wonder that store is still in business.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan