HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 2:35 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Feb 1
After pouring a layer of gravel on top of the foundation, plastic.
^ Is the plastic sheeting supposed to serve as a vapor barrier?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Feb 1
After pouring a layer of gravel on top of the foundation, plastic.
Stego Wrap!!!!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Is the plastic sheeting supposed to serve as a vapor barrier?
Not sure - but it did keep the concrete from soaking into the gravel.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
In other educational (for-profit) institution facility news, there is a large plot fenced off for construction on the DeVry campus on Campbell near Belmont. Anyone know what they're doing?
In real campus news, forgot to mention the Loyola Sheridan campus also has some lots on the south side of Devon that look like they're under site prep. Is anything notable going up there?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 4:25 AM

Edit, wrong post .

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 4:52 AM

While on the topic of concrete, I walked around Aqua the other day. Not enough control joints! The long horizontal pieces have a lot of cracking going on. But the smaller slabs are doing just fine. You'll notice there's a pattern on the pavement of square and rectangular pieces. It's a picture perfect academic example as to why control joints are important. For now they can probably seal them up and it will be ok, but if it were my own driveway or sidewalk I'd go nuts.

Some contractors will warranty a driveway against cracks, wonder if Aqua has something like that.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:29 AM

^ Hayward, just the pavement, or are there other places to see examples as well (like maybe the staircases to park level)?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 6:04 AM

According to the article only the renovated cabrini rowhouses will remain. So, 3/4 of the rowhouses there will be torn down. 440 units will be demoed. Looks like only the ones west of Cambridge Ave will remain.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 6:08 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Not sure - but it did keep the concrete from soaking into the gravel.
I don't know either, but I do know that when I worked in concrete construction we nearly always poured directly on a gravel base and there wasn't much "soaking" into the gravel. The amount lost to soaking seems like it would be very small, so I would guess there'd be some other reason to use the plastic. Granted, that was 20 years ago, so who know what new developments there are in the world of concrete.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 6:16 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young & Egotistic View Post
Depressing as it might sound to other people, the city will sell to developers they might build suburban-style developments.
I doubt there will be suburban-style development there. The more recent developments in the area have been pretty urban. On the other hand, there are a lot of undeveloped parcels in the area still available. But it certainly isn't a given that development would be un-urban.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I don't know either, but I do know that when I worked in concrete construction we nearly always poured directly on a gravel base and there wasn't much "soaking" into the gravel. The amount lost to soaking seems like it would be very small, so I would guess there'd be some other reason to use the plastic. Granted, that was 20 years ago, so who know what new developments there are in the world of concrete.
The product is stego wrap. Specifically them because for some reason they use bright yellow. As people guessed correctly, it's a vapor protective barrier.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 7:32 AM

Quote:
^ Hayward, just the pavement, or are there other places to see examples as well (like maybe the staircases to park level)?
Just the walkway and front drive areas i passed by on the south and east sides. The curving stairway looks fine.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 2:34 PM
THAT Guy

Division and Honore

52 apartments + retail

EVA's concerns plus site plan here

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
According to the article only the renovated cabrini rowhouses will remain. So, 3/4 of the rowhouses there will be torn down. 440 units will be demoed. Looks like only the ones west of Cambridge Ave will remain.
If google maps is correct, that means that only one row of CHA housing west of Cambridge from Chicago Ave to Oak Ave will be left. Is the rest of the area just old run down parks, empty lots, and that dumb urban farm located right along Chicago Ave?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
The product is stego wrap. Specifically them because for some reason they use bright yellow. As people guessed correctly, it's a vapor protective barrier.
Thank You.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Good find... just a total shame that MB chose to keep their prominent corner as a parking lot when they rebuilt. I really like this area of Avondale and think it could be poised to be the next step in the Milwaukee Ave gentrification route.
I think that in 10-15 years Milwaukee/Diversey/Kimball will be the next Milwaukee/North/Damen. I'm making a pretty big bet on the area and actually buying a lot of property there. I actually am closing on a property just down Diversey from there this afternoon.

Quote:
In real campus news, forgot to mention the Loyola Sheridan campus also has some lots on the south side of Devon that look like they're under site prep. Is anything notable going up there?
Yes, there is something really funky going up South of the old nunnery on the corner of Sheridan and Kenmore. My friend saw renderings of it and said it looks like "some big glass bubble". Also, they are doing something to that old parking lot, but I'm not sure what. I think it might be destined to become green space instead of a parking lot. I believe they might be turning that corner into a little mini quad.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Division and Honore

52 apartments + retail

EVA's concerns plus site plan here
All are very excellent concerns except for point 1. I think 5 stories is reasonable. I'm guessing concerned residents don't want to set a height precedent by which future developers could say "Well my building is not any taller than neighboring 'X' building."

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 3:59 PM

Quote:
All are very excellent concerns except for point 1. I think 5 stories is reasonable. I'm guessing concerned residents don't want to set a height precedent by which future developers could say "Well my building is not any taller than neighboring 'X' building."
It looks like a knockoff of Antunovich's Loft-Right/1237 West design without the decorative columns and different windows.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:35 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
It's only a 5 minute walk from the Blue Line, so I'm not sure why they're saying that the only transit in the area is the Division bus.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I think that in 10-15 years Milwaukee/Diversey/Kimball will be the next Milwaukee/North/Damen. I'm making a pretty big bet on the area and actually buying a lot of property there. I actually am closing on a property just down Diversey from there this afternoon.

Yes, there is something really funky going up South of the old nunnery on the corner of Sheridan and Kenmore. My friend saw renderings of it and said it looks like "some big glass bubble". Also, they are doing something to that old parking lot, but I'm not sure what. I think it might be destined to become green space instead of a parking lot. I believe they might be turning that corner into a little mini quad.
This article might clear things up for you. On the east side of Kenmore they are building a greenhouse on the back of the old Wright Hall and a freshman dorm called San Francisco Hall. On the west side of Kenmore where the Jesuit Residence Lawn and parking lot are/were they are building another freshman dorm named DiNobili Hall. The article says it will be called Bellarmine Hall, but since it was published they changed the name. Bellarmine will be the name of an apartment complex Loyola is renovating on the north side of campus on the southwest corner of Sheridan and North Shore. It will feature a Campus Safety outpost, as well. There is an article in the Loyola Phoenix about Bellarmine here. All of these will be open in time for the Fall 2013 semester.

Also this article published last fall in the Phoenix gives a complete rundown of the residence hall projects on campus. And it includes other renderings of San Francisco and DiNobili Halls.

Last edited by scottxxon; Feb 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development