HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
The first gate at the New Tom Bradley International Terminal Building will become operational tomorrow 9/6.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...Newsletter.pdf
Good to see that they're testing the capabilities and operations of the new terminal one gate at a time. This is going to be spectacular when it's all done.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 6:30 PM

Space Shuttle viewing

The Space Shuttle is schedule to land today at LAX at 12:45 PM PST (3:45 EST). There is a live-action construction camera for the LAX Bradley West terminal project (which is pretty cool itself). Perhaps you might be able to get a glimpse of the shuttle via this camera.

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/lax/?project=cam1

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 6:30 PM

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 6:11 PM

Southwest, LAX plan $400 million renovation (Torrance Daily Breeze)

Southwest, LAX plan $400 million renovation

By Brian Sumers
01/14/2013
Torrance Daily Breeze

"Southwest Airlines and Los Angeles International Airport will fund about $400 million in Terminal 1 improvements under a plan approved Monday by the Board of Airport Commissioners.

According to the terms of the project, which must be approved by the Los Angeles City Council, Southwest will build a new checked baggage security system, improve passenger security checkpoints, refresh passenger waiting areas, refurbish the baggage claim area, construct new passenger boarding bridges and renovate the terminal lobby.

Though Southwest will lead the renovation, Los Angeles World Airports will eventually fund the bulk of the upgrades, either by giving the airline rent credits or by paying it a lump sum, according to a report written for the board by airport staff. About $16 million of the renovations will be considered Southwest proprietary improvements and will be absorbed by the airline, documents show. Some security improvements likely will be eligible for federal grants..."

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_2...ion-renovation

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:57 PM

LAX officials release final EIR on airport modernization, including runway plan

LAX officials release final EIR on airport modernization, including runway plan

By Brian Sumers
Torrance Daily Breeze
01/25/2013

"An ambitious modernization plan at Los Angeles International Airport took another major step forward on Friday with officials releasing a final environmental impact report.

The nearly 2,000 page report focuses on two sets of plans favored by LAX executives - one to separate two runways on the north side of the field by 260 feet and another to improve ground facilities by constructing a consolidated rental car facility and building a people mover that would shuttle passengers around the airport. Plans also call, eventually, for a Metro station on or near the airport, and at least one new terminal.

For the projects to go forward, state law requires officials to assess their environmental impacts..."

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_2...tion-including

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 2:42 PM

British Airway' first A380 destination: Los Angeles (USA Today)

British Airway' first A380 destination: Los Angeles

Ben Mutzabaugh
USA TODAY
March 5, 2013

Image courtesy of USA Today.

"British Airways has announced the first two first regularly scheduled destinations for its Airbus A380 superjumbo jets: Los Angeles and Hong Kong.

Los Angeles flights will begin Oct. 15 while Hong Kong flights will start Nov. 15. Both routes will be from BA's main hub at London Heathow.

For Los Angeles passengers, BA is offering "celebratory" fares of $830 round trip for coach and $3,800 for business class..."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...-kong/1964361/

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 10:58 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

British Airways
Air France
Korean Air
Qantas
Singapore Airlines
China Southern Airlines
Emirates (soon?)

That would only leave Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, and Thai Airways International as the only operators without A380 service to LAX.

Still very impressive. LAX, it was mentioned a few years ago, would become the second busiest A380 hub after Heathrow. It makes sense.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
British Airways
Air France
Korean Air
Qantas
Singapore Airlines
China Southern Airlines
Emirates (soon?)

That would only leave Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, and Thai Airways International as the only operators without A380 service to LAX.
There is no A380 service to LAX for MH, TG, EK. Some airlines does not deployed the A380 service to LAX. If EK will deployed A380. When they accept delivery. They would be put on weight restrictions.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 11:51 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Lufthansa already provides A380 service to San Francisco and Houston. LAX is inevitable. I think Emirates will follow.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
^ Lufthansa already provides A380 service to San Francisco and Houston. LAX is inevitable. I think Emirates will follow.
You might very well be correct but of course SFO and Houston are hubs for United, which has an alliance with Lufthansa, so you get a lot more connecting traffic in both of those cities.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:22 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
You might very well be correct but of course SFO and Houston are hubs for United, which has an alliance with Lufthansa, so you get a lot more connecting traffic in both of those cities.
So is LAX.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:24 AM

American Airlines is applying for authority from the US DOT to begin LA-Sao Paulo service. There is what, forty million people between these two metropolitan regions. This should be a successful route.

American Airlines seeks service from LAX to Sao Paulo, Brazilhttp://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci...-lax-sao-paulo

Delta is also planning a significant expansion at LAX.

Los Angeles: A new hub for Delta Air Lines?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...lines/1970347/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
So is LAX.
From 2011-2012, United had 18.5% of passengers at LAX. Add it another 5-7% for Continental, and United had about 1/4 of all passenger traffic. Although not insignificant, LAX is a competitive airport and United doesn't have anything like the market-share it does at Newark and Houston.

Here is the link for the DOt's Bureau of Transportation Statistics: http://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp?pn=1.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Lufthansa already deployed its brand new 747-8 on the FRA-LAX route. It's probably an ideal route for that plane (not quite as much capacity as the A380, but still lots of premium class).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:46 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
American Airlines is applying for authority from the US DOT to begin LA-Sao Paulo service. There is what, forty million people between these two metropolitan regions. This should be a successful route.

American Airlines seeks service from LAX to Sao Paulo, Brazilhttp://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci...-lax-sao-paulo

Delta is also planning a significant expansion at LAX.

Los Angeles: A new hub for Delta Air Lines?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...lines/1970347/
Awesome news! I didn't think that would ever happen given the convenient connections at Miami and Dallas.

LAX may be a shithole, but the best thing about is that it's a hub/focus city for a multitude of airlines. If ATL or ORD were my home airport, I would almost have to fly with Delta or United all the time. I like having choices.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Awesome news! I didn't think that would ever happen given the convenient connections at Miami and Dallas.

LAX may be a shithole, but the best thing about is that it's a hub/focus city for a multitude of airlines. If ATL or ORD were my home airport, I would almost have to fly with Delta or United all the time. I like having choices.
LAX will be the nicest major airport in the country in a few years with TBIT expansion and the realignment/rebuilding of several terminals on both the north and south sides of the current complex.

And LAX probably has more O/D traffic than IAH and SFO combined. It's the only market in the country besides NY that can handle A380 passenger numbers based on O-D traffic alone.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 4:32 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:

LAX may be a shithole, but the best thing about is that it's a hub/focus city for a multitude of airlines.
You obviously need to travel more, I can show you dozens of true American shitholes, and LA is not one of them. Although I don't particularly care for LA, it is where I was born and raised, I have been to and/or lived in pretty much every corner of this country and can tell you certainly that LA is far, far from the bottom.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:03 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ That may be true, but I'm talking about the quality of our airport. I hear a lot of people complain about JFK and ORD, but at least those airports have fully functioning people movers and rail connections.

LAX is the worst. No matter the cosmetic upgrades, the terminals are still cramped and too small for the amount of traffic they handle.

Also, I would never call my city a "shithole" even if I thought it was one.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 11:58 PM

On the heels of them expanding at LAX

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=9053332

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 10:07 PM

The new terminals should be open and airy for the passenger. Not the most exciting design, but then again they're adding onto an existing airport, not making one out of scratch.

As for a signature building that screams out LA, doesn't Aero Saarinan's pod building already accomplish that? I see it in movies all the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation