HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Vehicle traffic should be reduced drastically in the near future on Queen's campus. Queen's plans to remove 80% of the parking spaces on main campus and offset that by expanding the remote park-and-shuttle program at the west campus and encouraging transit ridership for staff. As there really aren't any major through routes that pass through Queen's campus (other than King, but that's the southern edge of the campus), that should drastically cut down on vehicle traffic through it, and make it possible to pedestrianize most of it (which is in fact what the university is planning).
There is Union Street, which often gets used in Google's driving directions for trips from parts of downtown to the Portsmouth area.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 9:25 PM

Google likes to tell people to use Union, but honestly Brock-Johnson is a way faster route between DT and Portsmouth.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
I think the crossing at Jasper Ave. and 100A St. qualifies, no?
105 &105 is also now a functioning scramble, but neither really makes sense. These are both T intersections without massive traffic. In the case of 105 & 105 there aren't even many pedestrians, at least until the long delayed LRT station finally opens.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 10:41 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
There is talk of expanding the scrambles in Toronto to include Yonge and eglinton. They need to add front and bay as well if you ask me.
Yonge and Eglinton would be a good one in terms of pedestrian traffic but I think bus and auto traffic would be a big concern, with all the buses turning right onto Eglinton from Yonge (they still do that, right? I haven't been in a few years)
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 7:30 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

I really wish the city would paint the diagonal cross walks all the way across. It looks so lazy and unfinished they way they leave them.

Bay Bloor scramble
by shadydeals, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 1:12 PM

Front and Bay has excessive pedestrian traffic during rush hour peaks. A pedestrian overpass of some sort may work even better.

A scramble would jam up already excessive traffic on both streets during commute rushes even more. There is also the stretch just west, I forget if its York but pedestrians cross that street, they just won't ever stop. They can go on continuously until half the on coming green is gone which just cuts to red and gives them more time to cross eastward all over again.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 1:45 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Montreal has 3 that I know of. Maybe there's more.
  • McGill & St-Antoine
  • McGill & St-Jacques
  • St-Antoine and St-Urbain

Are the scrambles in Montreal fairly new? I looked at these intersections in google maps and they don't look any different from a regular one.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Are the scrambles in Montreal fairly new? I looked at these intersections in google maps and they don't look any different from a regular one.
The only difference is in the traffic light sequence; they are green for pedestrians on all directions at the same time. Bingo ! That´s all you need.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
The only difference is in the traffic light sequence; they are green for pedestrians on all directions at the same time. Bingo ! That´s all you need.
Ah, in which case it's a not a 'true' pedestrian scramble, as there's no diagonal crosswalk. But nonetheless the same effect.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Edmonton has 3-4 planned, but none in place.
Not true. 105 Ave/105 St is in service.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 6:07 PM

Not a scramble crossing but Gatineau's most friendly neighborhood for pedestrians with narrow streets and visible signs.
A few of these are spreading across the neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Yonge and Eglinton would be a good one in terms of pedestrian traffic but I think bus and auto traffic would be a big concern, with all the buses turning right onto Eglinton from Yonge (they still do that, right? I haven't been in a few years)
Yes, there is a massive amount of bus traffic going through & turning at the intersection, with several very high ridership routes converging there.

The pedestrian traffic is very high all day as well. I think it's appropriate for a pedestrian scramble, but likely after the Eglinton LRT is finished.

Tunnel construction for the LRT has also narrowed the street to two lanes.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 4:55 AM

We ran into these types of intersections in Banff when we vacationed there in the spring.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 2:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The main intersection in downtown Sackville NB (Main & Bridge St) is a pedestrian scramble. It's very popular with the students at Mount Allison University which is just up the street.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 2:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Just curious - would this count? People can and do go all possible ways, even without the path. But there are no lights.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 3:17 PM
Moran supreme

Only two in Calgary that I'm aware of and both in very lightly used intersections in the northern part of the downtown core (3rd St and 2nd Ave SW, 3rd St and 3rd Ave SW).

Interesting news story from Banff from May of this year with respect to scrambles there, not sure if it's applicable any more - link.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 9:57 PM
Volatile Pacivist

In Greater Halifax there are lots of streets where pedestrians have to really scramble to get across before the lights change. Not sure if that counts...

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Yeah I'm glad they put some thought into the design, really helps cement the marina image of the neighbourhood. The scramble is seldom used though. I think that pedestrians feel uncomfortable slowing down both directions of traffic.
This scramble is just a gimmick. There are maybe a half dozen days a year where the pedestrian volume justifies it.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 10:51 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGrandeOurse View Post
Not a scramble crossing but Gatineau's most friendly neighborhood for pedestrians with narrow streets and visible signs.
A few of these are spreading across the neighborhood.
Yep. Look at all them pedestrians!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 10:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
In Greater Halifax there are lots of streets where pedestrians have to really scramble to get across before the lights change. Not sure if that counts...
What about in winter?

Here, pedestrians use the road in winter. All the time outside the downtown because they don't clear the sidewalks (that's where they pile up the snow) and most of the time downtown. During a storm:

Video Link

The rest of the time, traffic just moves too slowly downtown for there to be any risk associated with jaywalking - and, excluding tourists, most drivers grow up with the idea pedestrians have right of way anywhere along Water anyway. Early mornings, it's deserted. You could rip down Water Street at 100 km/hr until 6-7 a.m. any day of the week. But during the workday, and at least until the bars empty out between 3-4 a.m., it's this:

Video Link

I rarely get above 20 km/hr on that street. (Stupid video ends right at the beginning of the busy part of downtown, and a whole block shy of our main DT intersection that always has the most feet on the streets. But it's still a good example at the business and number of jaywalkers outside of winter. Nothing that would put TO to shame but pretty busy for 200,000 people).

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Dec 26, 2014 at 11:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada