HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:52 AM
Inflatable Hippo

A new mall proposal is being prepared for by a US based developer, should drop by the end of the summer. Phase one will be 600,000 square feet with another 300,000 square feet to follow depending on demand.

Proposal is said to be spearheaded by a US retailer after a fruitless eighteen month campaign for a suitable Calgary location which included trying to get Toys R Us or Safeway to give up their Market Mall locations and looking at the bowling alley at Chinook.

Supposedly the development will be on a country club and equestrian theme...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:06 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
A new mall proposal is being prepared for by a US based developer, should drop by the end of the summer. Phase one will be 600,000 square feet with another 300,000 square feet to follow depending on demand.

Proposal is said to be spearheaded by a US retailer after a fruitless eighteen month campaign for a suitable Calgary location which included trying to get Toys R Us or Safeway to give up their Market Mall locations and looking at the bowling alley at Chinook.

So access will be via ring road or major highway and won't be near a thing ala Cross Iron?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
So access will be via ring road or major highway and won't be near a thing ala Cross Iron?
Would be surprised if it's just west of the city where those RV dealerships and that Alberta BBQ, or whatever it's called now is located.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:31 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

if it's equestrian theme couldn't it be near Spruce Meadows?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:57 PM

Quote:

Would this mean that the Sears in Chinook is already spoken for?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 9:25 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Would be surprised if it's just west of the city where those RV dealerships and that Alberta BBQ, or whatever it's called now is located.
I was thinking more along Dizzy's suggestion, though this could be another spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
if it's equestrian theme couldn't it be near Spruce Meadows?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 9:32 PM
Khan

Quote:
Fuck me.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Fuck me.
There needs to be a thumbs up or like button on SSP, because I agree with this post.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:01 AM
Realtor

Best Buy is closing 50 stores in the US, hopefully there won't be any delays in opening the 17th Ave SW location.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:02 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
Best Buy is closing 50 stores in the US, hopefully there won't be any delays in opening the 17th Ave SW location.
I suspect that Best Buy Canada has better market share in Canada considering it's ownership of Future Shop, additionally the market for luxury items in Calgary is much better than most of the US at this point in the recovery.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:54 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:

another mall, just what we needed. and with a country club or equestrian theme no less

These malls aren't enough:
Chinook - 1.3M SF
CIM - 1.1M SF
Southcentre - 1M SF
Market Mall - 900k SF
Sunridge Mall - 800k SF

Not to mention The Core, Northland Mall, North Hill Centre, Marlborough Mall, Deerfoot Mall and power centres like Westhills, Crowfoot, Deerfoot Meadows, Sage Hill, and all the others I'm forgetting. sooo much retail lol

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 9:27 PM
Realtor

Quote:

Lots of choices if they wanted to not build new... The CORE has tons of space, and CIM has almost an unlimited amount of space to expand if you include the land around it. Chinook has a fair amount of space, where FlatIron Grill was supposed to go and a few empty store fronts.

RioCan has a proposed mall at 17 Ave SE & Stoney Trail too.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
RioCan has a proposed mall at 17 Ave SE & Stoney Trail too.
Just another power centre. They have their anchor tenants signed (Walmart, Empire Theatres, Lowes) and supposedly are breaking ground this summer or fall for a Fall 2013 opening. Its just shy of 1.6m square feet of retail over 3 phases. Plus they also have another project by Metis and Country Hills of about 1m square feet over multiple phases (both are joint projects with Trinity Developments and a few other groups)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 10:37 PM
Closed account

New farmers market out by Calaway Park

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...highway-1.html

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
New farmers market out by Calaway Park

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...highway-1.html
That's where I suggested the Country Club themed mall might be going. That place is the kiss of death. A farmer's market might make it if they can get some good vendors.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:44 AM
not a NIMBY

The market is only open one day a week which doesn't seem like a viable business model.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:28 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
The market is only open one day a week which doesn't seem like a viable business model.
Overhead at a market is always extremely low. I think one day a week might be a good start.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:48 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I think it's terrible too, but I was surprised to find that the markets in London are also mostly open only one day a week, and at least one has been viable since the 13th century

The kitschiness of a "wild west" them just grates though- can't just be "western," have to be "wild west." So there'll be prostitutes and gunfights?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:11 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I think it's terrible too, but I was surprised to find that the markets in London are also mostly open only one day a week, and at least one has been viable since the 13th century

The kitschiness of a "wild west" them just grates though- can't just be "western," have to be "wild west." So there'll be prostitutes and gunfights?
The answer is yes. Yes there will be prostitutes and gunfights. That is how they will stay in business. The gunfights not so much, but the prostitutes for sure.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:22 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
And cholera, and dysentery, and hostile Injuns, and broken wagon wheels.

Why yes, I did play Oregon Trail a bit too much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy