HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
100% agree with you TarHeel. My experience was the same. I found the doctors and overall quality of care in the US to be vastly superior to what I've experienced in Canada, the UK and Italy. I lived in Germany as well and have traveled throughout most of Europe but I was never exposed to the healthcare system other than in the aforementioned countries, so I cant speak for them.
However, I do believe the healthcare 'system' could be improved upon in the US but the quality of care is excellent.
Thank you. I totally agree that any healthcare system could stand improvements, but it's crazy when people get holier-than-thou about healthcare in the U.S. compared to Europe.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 7:23 PM

Why not? Americans have been giving holier-than-thou about the US health care being the best in the world, everybody's else sucks blah blah bullshit for too long.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
I was working there for a year, so I was no tourist. It seems like in a year's time one should be able to find decent healthcare when needed. I assure you that it would be available in the U.S. for "medical tourists", which are a much larger "problem" here than in the UK.
I think there is little point continuing on this tangent, as you are not a British citizen (refer to previous chart on appointments), and presumably had a lack of valid insurance if you had to wait several months for an appointment. In contrast (as a British citizen), of the three times that I can recall visiting my GP over the last few years, I've had same-day appointments at no cost.

If you wish to continue debating health issues outside this thread, may I suggest PM'ing me.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:39 PM
low life in a tall place

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
-Singapore is listed 6.4 million while the whole Republic of Singapore has just 5.2 million.
Singapore actually gets a fair deal of cross border commuters from Johor Bahru (not only construction/low wage workers, but also due to JB being dirt cheap to live in), but seeing as JB is fairly large, it doubt the numbers would be enough to make it a metro city of Singapore even with the most liberal definition.

This is the only possible way a Singapore metro area could be considered more populous than the actual Republic though.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:54 PM

I really have to question if the U.S. is wealthier than Europe.

If the US is wealthier just because American's work longer hours then American's really are not better off.

Second for all this supposed wealth, American's don't seem to enjoy themselves much. They travel less, are obsessed with cheap chain restaurants and Walmart, etc.
Not the life of people who are supposedly wealthy.

Last edited by miketoronto; Apr 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:13 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
American's don't seem to enjoy themselves much. they travel less, are obsessed with cheap chain restaurants and Walmart, etc.
Not the life of people who supposedly wealthy.

yeah i was just down in L.A. and all everyone could talk about was the new applebee's in pomona.

what?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:29 PM

Quote:

If the US is wealthier just because American's work longer hours then American's really are not better off.

Second for all this supposed wealth, American's don't seem to enjoy themselves much. they travel less, are obsessed with cheap chain restaurants and Walmart, etc.
Not the life of people who supposedly wealthy.
I agree. I think the US should have more personality and flavor like Canada. It must be tortuous for Canadians and Europeans to travel to LA, SF, Las Vegas, NYC, Florida, etc. and spend time around so many unhappy people.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novawolverine View Post
I agree. I think the US should have more personality and flavor like Canada. It must be tortuous for Canadians and Europeans to travel to LA, SF, Las Vegas, NYC, Florida, etc. and spend time around so many unhappy people.
There is stuff in the USA. But the majority of the population does not partake in it. Most do live the Applebee's lifestyle.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Singapore actually gets a fair deal of cross border commuters from Johor Bahru (not only construction/low wage workers, but also due to JB being dirt cheap to live in), but seeing as JB is fairly large, it doubt the numbers would be enough to make it a metro city of Singapore even with the most liberal definition.

This is the only possible way a Singapore metro area could be considered more populous than the actual Republic though.
I'm aware of this and I'm not even fundamentally opposed to combining the two, eventhough there is this thing of it still being two seperate countries.
What I am opposed to is to list such an inclusive definition for this city (and the American ones) next to a definition of Rome that amounts to barely more than the city limits population (and also other cities on the list that are way too strictly defined).

But it's hard to compile such things in a really comparative manner. It's also fun to debate and learn from others on the forum.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
There is stuff in the USA. But the majority of the population does not partake in it. Most do live the Applebee's lifestyle.
Hmmm, I don't know if that's necessarily true. A lot of counter culture finds its origens in the US and there are a lot of suburban, mainstream minded people in Europe and Canada as well.

Maybe the mainstream in Europe and Canada is a little less suburban minded, but it varies in places. Maybe Canada and the smaller countries in (Northwest) Europe are a little more internationally minded as well, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that (almost) the entire US population is one thing and that the entire population of Europe and Canada is something else. There's a lot of diversity in all these places and while there certainly are fundamental differences between the US and Canada and Europe, these are not so easily generalized as you make it seem, I think...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:57 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
As opposed to a Kelsey's lifestyle?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
http://www.applebeescanada.com/
mind = blown

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:50 PM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
I do confess to committing the near mortal sin of eating at the Ford City (mall within city limits, across the street from the suburbs) Applebee's once. I performed penance by walking from Old Town to the Loop the next day.

Seriously though one big difference between America and Europe is that here you need to live in one of the largest cities in order to have an urban lifestyle. In Europe you can live in smaller cities and in some cases even small towns and get a similar experience on a smaller scale. In America there is all this talk of small town values when in reality most small towns and cities don't have much of a unique identity anymore, just the same generic stores and restaurants everywhere. The very slogan of Applebee's "eating good in the neighborhood" is indicative of this problem, the very fact that many people in smaller towns think getting an Applebee's built is a sign that their town has "made it" shows they don't understand. Sure your town may have an Applebee's but so do thousands of other places in America. People now express their individuality by being like everyone else, sameness is individuality. Many people express their individuality through their McMansions, driving the SUV, shopping at Wal-Mart and dining at Applebee's oblivious to the idea that every other shmuck on the cul-de-sac is doing the same thing or that somehow having a larger quantity of the sameness somehow makes you unique.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
Seriously though one big difference between America and Europe is that here you need to live in one of the largest cities in order to have an urban lifestyle.
Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Cincinnati have a bone to pick with that statement...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Second for all this supposed wealth, American's don't seem to enjoy themselves much. They travel less, are obsessed with cheap chain restaurants and Walmart, etc.
On this theory, unemployed people are the wealthiest in the world. You may have to refine your methodology. I would suggest starting with the definiton of wealth.

The person you see at the upscale restaurants and cafes in Europe is not the average European; it's the average tourist. The average European is not spending E 20 for lunch on the Champs-Elysees or Gran Via. He is considerably limited in disposable income and is likely sitting in a smallish apartment wishing he could get a McDonald's or KFC, but will ultimately settle for a slice of cheese pizza.

This sort of scenario is what lies behind the PPP tables (which believe it or not, are based on real numbers and stand for real facts).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:25 PM
aka GM on SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
On this theory, unemployed people are the wealthiest in the world. You may have to refine your methodology. I would suggest starting with the definiton of wealth.

The person you see at the upscale restaurants and cafes in Europe is not the average European; it's the average tourist. The average European is not spending E 20 for lunch on the Champs-Elysees or Gran Via. He is considerably limited in disposable income and is likely sitting in a smallish apartment wishing he could get a McDonald's or KFC, but will ultimately settle for a slice of cheese pizza.

This sort of scenario is what lies behind the PPP tables (which believe it or not, are based on real numbers and stand for real facts).
Yeah, it's a wide known fact that the thousands of McDonald's, KFC, and other fast-food restaurants in Europe are only frequented by the European elites and sometimes by the American tourists.
The average European is too poor to afford a cheeseburger. He can only dream of a little piece of a cold pizza in his 20 m² flat where he lives with all his extended family. That's the only reason which could explain why the European are less fat than the American.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 8:12 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:

I hope you're not speaking for the whole population. I could find these same reasons in Canada. My Montreal family haven't traveled in years.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 10:12 PM
video et taceo

Quote:

as opposed to canadians, who are famous for their "montparnasse in the '20s" culture and habits.

fuck we can be insufferable sometimes.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantais View Post
The average European is too poor to afford a cheeseburger. He can only dream of a little piece of a cold pizza in his 20 m² flat where he lives with all his extended family. That's the only reason which could explain why the European are less fat than the American.

When you travel anywhere, cafes and restaurants are very visible (by design) while grocery stores are often hidden away. Most Europeans cook food at home, just like Americans do. If they do eat out, it's probably for lunch since people are at work and don't have access to a kitchen.

I don't understand the Europeans who actually live in the touristy areas, though. The center of Rome is beautiful but groceries are 30-50% more expensive and there are very few supermarkets. I'd definitely rather live in a more peripheral area where there is good access to amenities (Flaminio, Monteverde, Testaccio, etc)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions