HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
Prince of Wales. Which allows him to interfere in anything he likes, particularly architecture. I don't think this is a serious proposal fwiw - the army hasn't decided if it is even going to sell this site yet.

He tried to push a Quinlan Terry design for Chelsea Barracks a couple of years back and managed to single handidly foil a Richard Rogers scheme by personally complaining to the Emir of Qatar, whose country owned the site.

That's interesting, I guess I never thought about what a royal actually does all day. He should step up and develop stuff himself, I'm sure he has the money.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 5:11 AM
▓▒░

What relevance does #6 have in western Canada? Our traditional architecture is either pre-Colombian indigenous, of which nothing from that era remains, or pre-war pioneer, which was done in a contemporary style and often with cheaper materials. Areas without architectural legacies would only be burdened by this approach I think.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
That's interesting, I guess I never thought about what a royal actually does all day. He should step up and develop stuff himself, I'm sure he has the money.
I'm sure you're wrong.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 2:30 PM

^Charles has money aplenty. He's already developed Poundbury on his own land near Dorchester.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I'm sure you're wrong.
the prince doesn't have money?

edit: according to google he's worth 370mm

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Prince of Wales. Which allows him to interfere in anything he likes, particularly architecture. I don't think this is a serious proposal fwiw - the army hasn't decided if it is even going to sell this site yet.

He tried to push a Quinlan Terry design for Chelsea Barracks a couple of years back and managed to single handidly foil a Richard Rogers scheme by personally complaining to the Emir of Qatar, whose country owned the site.

Charles should interfere less in England and more in Canada. Innovative modern architecture has been a boon to England and I think created a more vivacious built environment, but places like Toronto could benefit alot from his philosophy. A certain balance needs to be struck and I think England is managing well, but Canada, and in particular Ontario, would benefit from the variety and philosophy neoclassical architecture would introduce to the urban environment.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS_rls View Post
What relevance does #6 have in western Canada? Our traditional architecture is either pre-Colombian indigenous, of which nothing from that era remains, or pre-war pioneer, which was done in a contemporary style and often with cheaper materials. Areas without architectural legacies would only be burdened by this approach I think.
Then be thankful you have a blank slate to work with. And see point #10.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 8:21 AM
Come As You Are

Hopefully that London proposal won't end up like the monstrosity in Bucharest.

It does look better from the drawings but the facade quality will make or break it.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; Jan 29, 2015 at 8:31 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 5:13 AM

Another pic of the barracks proposal:

Seems the developer is quite serious about this one: http://www.sdandbinternational.com/

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Another pic of the barracks proposal:

Seems the developer is quite serious about this one: http://www.sdandbinternational.com/

There is room for reinterpreting the classical vocabulary beyond the postmodernist phase that can propel this architecture to better heights. The problem is in reinventing the use of columnar, glazing and veneer elements to a level of quality in design that doesn't deceive. So far only the postmodern efforts of very good architects have managed to deliver on vision and quality of execution. The postmodernists like Johnson at least had had the training and Art-architectural knowledge to reinstate some of the vocabulary in a cohesive form.

The pile proposed for the barracks seems tied down to a lack of rigor and vision. It is totally untimely.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 7:56 PM

mm... I just read my 1st post to this again, I'll confess it was excessively contemptuous and rude, but seriously... It's no secret, beyond the design of an architect, it takes above all the likely expensive skills of specialized craftmen to build such a thing in a proper way. Looks like it would all be made of limestone, à la bonne vieille parisienne, and it looks quite large, like taking an entire street, so you'd need a lot of guys who can cut limestone materials properly. Obviously, forget about anything precast, it'd be intolerable. I'm assuming they would do it properly, then I'd be curious to see what it would cost. Maybe the price of a neat and shiny contemporary highrise. Maybe even more. So I still can't see the point of it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture