HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 2:01 AM

East River

Phase I is now underway, here's our first look:

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 6:39 PM

this is off of Jensen?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
this is off of Jensen?
Yes. Phase I will also feature a museum and theater with 27,000 square feet of retail.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:35 AM

Is this by any chance the old Brown and Root property? I worked at B&R at a summer job when I was in college in the 70s. It was super ghetto then. Glad to see that area transitioning.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 11:26 PM

Gateway Station

Hotel/Retail project to sit above the Metro Station in the Texas Medical Center.

Quote:
Located in one of the worlds largest medical centers, this transit-oriented development will provide several levels of accommodation for visitors and residents alike.

Gateway Station at the Texas Medical Center (“TMC”), is a joint venture between Paul Alexander Company, LLC, and Grifn Partners, Inc. (“PAC”
or “Developer”). Gateway Station, a transit-oriented hotel development located in the Heart of the Texas Medical Center in Houston, Harris County, Texas. The project is a to-be-built 500-room hotel with mixed-use development consisting of 3 Hotels (125-room Extended Stay Hotel, 250-room Ballroom Hotel, and 125-room Hotel), structured parking (524 spaces) above the METRO bus and rail transit station. There is currently a significant lack of available hotel room supply for over 10 million TMC visitors per year. The strategic intent of METRO - TMC lite-transit oriented development is to augment METRO’s ridership, improve the customer experience at its premier TMC transit station, enhance the largest medical center in the world, and provide additional hotel rooms and retail/restaurant options within the TMC.

Gateway Station will be in the Texas Medical Center and near Downtown Houston CBD. The TMC opened in 1925 and is the largest medical complex in the world. It covers 1,345 acres, making it the 8th largest business district in the country and is still expanding. The TMC hosts over 10 million patient visits and over 150,000 surgeries per year. The TMC has over 110,000 employees, including 5,000 doctors, 15,000 nurses and 5,700 researchers and is currently undergoing a $3.25 billion expansion. Additionally, the TMC has 7,000 patient beds and 25,000 babies are delivered annually in its 21 member hospitals.

In addition to having direct access to the Texas Medical Center and Houston CBD, Gateway Station will also be a quick drive to the Rice Village shopping and retail center, adjacent to Rice University and will be less than 2.5 miles from Hermann Park, the Museum District, the Houston Zoo and Hermann Park Golf Course.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Mar 7, 2019 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 8:15 PM

Whoah I drive by there every day.... nice

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 9:11 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I used to work in the UTHealth building on the far left. Lots of construction around there. HCC built a new building next door and a block or so up; TCH built a new tower and there's some huge hotel/ mixed use nearly done with a phase 2 in the works. I'm just waiting for MD Anderson's parking lot (foreground) to be developed.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 1:08 AM
downtown houston

^^^ the new prospective METRO/ TMC / GATEWAY STATION development would be an absolute BOON to the TMC. in my view, this would catapult the south main / TMC district into the stratosphere. this development would be an immediate TOURIST ATTRACTION... as everyone would want to be here... i know that i would...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclass View Post

^^^ the new prospective METRO/ TMC / GATEWAY STATION development would be an absolute BOON to the TMC. in my view, this would catapult the south main / TMC district into the stratosphere. this development would be an immediate TOURIST ATTRACTION... as everyone would want to be here... i know that i would...
Is this really going to happen or something on your wish list?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 8:43 PM

it is really going to happen

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 9:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The Medical Center is not a tourist attraction nor will it ever be.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Right? I rolled my eyes so hard I'm now blind. Everytime I read these center-aligned post, they're always so cringe-worthy.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:46 AM
downtown houston

Quote:
^^^ no one, and i mean NO ONE... ever stated that "the medical center" would become a tourist attraction! if you may allow yourself the pleasure of reading correctly... you shall SEE that i stated that "this development could become an immediate tourist attraction". SEEING IS INDEED BELIEVING!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:56 AM
downtown houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Right? I rolled my eyes so hard I'm now blind. Everytime I read these center-aligned post, they're always so cringe-worthy.

^^^ ok, so now that you are indeed blind and all...you shall never ever have to worry about my "center-aligned post". that is unless you are somehow playing "BLIND MANS BLUFF! drink up...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:53 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclass View Post
^^^ no one, and i mean NO ONE... ever stated that "the medical center" would become a tourist attraction! if you may allow yourself the pleasure of reading correctly... you shall SEE that i stated that "this development could become an immediate tourist attraction". SEEING IS INDEED BELIEVING!

This is what you said:

Quote:
TMC district into the stratosphere. this development would be an immediate TOURIST ATTRACTION...

and no. it will not. it's a fancy bus station with a hotel.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 6:26 PM
downtown houston

Quote:
This is what you said:

and no. it will not. it's a fancy bus station with a hotel.

^^^ are you always this strangely pessimistic regarding forthcoming development within the city of houston? all that you have to do is FEAST YOUR EYES UPON THE PRESENTED ILLUSTRATION and you will certainly notice that this is not just some "fancy bus station with a hotel" as you have so eloquently designated. this particular development promises a 500 room hospitality edifice from 3 different hotel brands. just check-out that resort pool deck and terrace... can you just imagine the outdoor/indoor bars/lounges and such? not to mention the prospective ground floor retail and restaurants. and we have not started upon the upgraded and renovated METRO transit portion of this prospective development. major tourist attraction indeed...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 6:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I worked in the TMC for almost four years. It's where people go to work, school, get chemo and have babies. It's not a 'fun' area where people would want to be on their time off. Sure, it is impressive and dynamic but it's still a hospital district.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 10:30 PM
downtown houston

Quote:
I worked in the TMC for almost four years. It's where people go to work, school, get chemo and have babies. It's not a 'fun' area where people would want to be on their time off. Sure, it is impressive and dynamic but it's still a hospital district.
^^^ my ONE-UPMANSHIP GAME is much better! 5 years at MD Anderson Cancer Center, 7 years at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic PA when they were at the MEDICAL TOWERS Building on Fannin Street, 3 years at CASA A SPECIAL HOSPITAL as their Medical Records Administrator when they were on the corner of Fannin and OST. therefore, there is really nothing that you can relay to me regarding the TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER that i already do not know or comprehend thereafter. i can probably teach you a few things. i can honestly assure you that this prospective TMC/METRO GATEWAY development would be a most welcome addition in all of its pre-development glory. IT IS INDEED BADLY NEEDED!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 5:13 AM
Dryer lint inspector

So with your 5 years at MDACC plus the others, you ought to know that the TMC is not a destination for those who do not work, study or seek treatment there. This development will service the existing worker/ student/ patient population but that's about it. And yes, it is badly needed, no argument there.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:30 PM

They should just rename this the Stratosphere Tower since that is apparently where its taking the TMC district.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations