HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Vancouver has no advantages over Seattle anyway. This HQ2 will be in the East for sure.
Seattle's HQ is staying. So Vancouver doesn't need any advantages over Seattle. Vancouver is either perfect for it or way too close to Seattle to get it. Nordstrom went all in in Vancouver so who knows. 10/10 or 1/10.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:48 PM
sick transit, gloria

It doesn't seem to make any sense for them to set up a new massive North American HQ less than 100km from their other one. Or anywhere in the western part of the continent.
This doesn't sound like a regional office, but a full-fledged secondary location. It would be a huge win for any Canadian city but I'd be surprised if it ends up here.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
They will likely consider that, among other things when they make a decision
Obviously not - if Seattle's weather hasn't been a problem for them, their operations are obviously weather-proof and could be set up anywhere. (Unlike, say, a Disney theme park, etc.)

In fact Amazon released a list of their criteria already - and I'm pretty sure I recall weather isn't on it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:52 PM

one thing going for vancouver is they have the port where most of the goods will arrive. Amazon does have an office in vancouver and a distribution centre in delta.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:59 PM
Aimless Wanderer

I'd say that Toronto is the only Canadian city that has a good shot at it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:00 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Obviously not - if Seattle's weather hasn't been a problem for them, their operations are obviously weather-proof and could be set up anywhere. (Unlike, say, a Disney theme park, etc.)

In fact Amazon released a list of their criteria already - and I'm pretty sure I recall weather isn't on it.
They may not come out and say "climate" but they may have some soft language around the type of environment they want for their staff. Knowing Amazon there wil be spatial requirements beyond op. Costs and taxes

It doesn't really matter to me, they sure as hell ain't moving it to Edmonton, just my observation in talking with a large number of folks who manage the Amazon accounts.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:02 PM

They should put it in "downtown" Mississauga. Sounds kind of weird to be saying that, but hear me out.

Mississauga is already popular with hosting the Canadian HQs of large American companies. There is also a ton of room in Mississauga. They could build their new office buildings to be however the hell big they want, there's plenty of empty space downtown that can be redeveloped. The city wants major office development there anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. The Hurontario LRT will be going right through the area, fulfilling their interest in accessible public transport. The only problem is that they want a city with somewhat lower cost of living, which anywhere in the GTA is definitely not.

Realistically this HQ will probably end up in Detroit or something.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Amazon is already HQ'ed in Seattle. Vancouver has no chance. It will be located east if the Mississippi.
It will be located in the East for sure - but I consider Dallas a contender (and I also consider it "Eastern"; the Mississippi isn't a division that makes sense anymore).

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
They should put it in "downtown" Mississauga. Sounds kind of weird to be saying that, but hear me out.

Mississauga is already popular with hosting the Canadian HQs of large American companies. There is also a ton of room in Mississauga. They could build their new office buildings to be however the hell big they want, there's plenty of empty space downtown that can be redeveloped. The city wants major office development there anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. The Hurontario LRT will be going right through the area, fulfilling their interest in accessible public transport. The only problem is that they want a city with somewhat lower cost of living, which anywhere in the GTA is definitely not.

Realistically this HQ will probably end up in Detroit or something.

Detroit struck me as a possibility as well.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:33 PM

I can't imagine why they would choose to locate it in Canada, for any reasons, especially seeing how sensible the Americans are about American companies setting shop and providing jobs in foreign countries. Boston looks like a natural for them.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Detroit struck me as a possibility as well.
I'm definitely rooting for Detroit to get it. Would be a major boost to a city that needs it.

(I'd prefer Quebec City or Orlando, but I don't think they're even in the running. So Detroit would be my choice!)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Boston looks like a natural for them.
Way too expensive. Philly makes much more sense.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:48 PM
Registered Drug User

Um, why on earth would Amazon want to have a massive headquarters and warehouse on the other side of an international border?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:00 PM
More transit please

Quote:
I'm definitely rooting for Detroit to get it. Would be a major boost to a city that needs it.

(I'd prefer Quebec City or Orlando, but I don't think they're even in the running. So Detroit would be my choice!)
It has to be near a train or metro station. Detroit has almost diddly squat in that regard.

My bet is on Toronto or DC (Virginia suburbs).

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:13 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Um, why on earth would Amazon want to have a massive headquarters and warehouse on the other side of an international border?
I maybe completely off base but here goes. R&D. Given the immigration message that the Trump administration is trumpeting world wide, and given the fact that Amazon invests more in R&D than any other American corporation, and given that Amazon wants to attract the best talent the world has to offer, it's not unreasonable that they might wish to spread risk. Over the last year they've invested over16 billion in R&D. They see Canada as welcoming?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:16 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Detroit's been doing pretty great lately regardless.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Exactly, sometimes Canadian cities are too excited.

My guess would be Atlanta. It's already a global logistics and airline hub, and the headquarters of UPS, The Coca-Cola Company, The Home Depot, Delta Air Lines and AT&T Mobility.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:38 PM

A challenge they would have in Vancouver is attracting talent, unless they are willing to pay the big bucks. What I've heard from my contacts in the tech industry is that companies in Vancouver are having trouble attracting and retaining talent due to high cost of living and insufficient pay. One company I know had so much trouble filling several vacancies at their Vancouver office that some work had to be relocated to their Toronto office.

Toronto's COL is not quite as bad, it's bad but it's not having the talent issues Vancouver is having. Plus Ontario has other suitable locations, particularly Ottawa and K-W. If they locate HQ2 in Canada, I'd say Ontario has a good shot.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Calgary has a shit ton of vacant office space and a very highly educated workforce, would be a good place for Amazon.
Wrong type of education though. Amazon doesn't need geologists or engineers, they need coders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
It doesn't seem to make any sense for them to set up a new massive North American HQ less than 100km from their other one. Or anywhere in the western part of the continent
While it comes with it's pros and cons being in the same timezone and a 2 hour drive away is certainly a plus. I still think they will go east but there are definitely big advantages to setting up nearby and makes at least a bit of sense.

Quote:
Honestly?
Tax advantages, cost savings via exchange rates, cost savings via reduced salary expectations in Canada, and the big one... immigration.

In my opinion the HQ will likely stay in the US for political reasons, but there are some huge advantages to Canada, which is likely why we were included at all.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Wrong type of education though. Amazon doesn't need geologists or engineers, they need coders.

While it comes with it's pros and cons being in the same timezone and a 2 hour drive away is certainly a plus. I still think they will go east but there are definitely big advantages to setting up nearby and makes at least a bit of sense.

Honestly?
Tax advantages, cost savings via exchange rates, cost savings via reduced salary expectations in Canada, and the big one... immigration.

In my opinion the HQ will likely stay in the US for political reasons, but there are some huge advantages to Canada, which is likely why we were included at all.
I think it will end up in the US as well, but you point out the advantages that make Canada tempting. I think it's telling that they used the term "North America". They have clearly left the option open.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada